Hi..new here..Can I join you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amlee1978, Nov 13, 2005.

1. amlee1978

amlee1978 New Member

Hi. My name is Amy. I am 27 and a SAHM to C.J. (8), Brody (5 in 2 weeks) and Miss Maggie (2 1/2.) I live in Northwest Florida with the kids, DH (Ian, 32), a cat and a dog.

I don't really even know where to begin.

I have had constant pain for about 6 1/2 yrs. now. I have had doctors tell me there's nothing wrong, it's all in my head (not in those exact words.) I was finally diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in March of this year. When I went to see the Rheumatologist, and she went to examine me, I jumped about 5 feet off the table. FINALLY I had a diagnosis. FIBROMYALGIA. It was so nice to have a doctor who knew what was wrong with me and who believes in FM. It seems a lot of doctors (and regular people) don't believe in it. My husband is one of them. He is very unsupportive of the FM diagnosis, refuses to read about it, hear about it. Thinks I use it as an excuse to not do anything. It's very hard on me. My kids don't understand why I get upset when they want to play on me, jump on me, etc.

I was put on Effexor XR for depression and it is supposed to double as pain management, but it doesn't help the pain. I am going to be talking to the doctor about it soon. We also go a hot tub (and didn't have to pay the taxes thanks to a prescription from the doctor.) That is very temporary relief though. I also need to lose 80 pounds and I know that will help, but it's hard to exersize when I feel like crap all the time.

So there is my long introduction. I am sure I left something out. I hope I can join you guys and find support, answers, and lend whatever support I can give. Thanks!

*Amy*
    C.J. 7-1-97
    Broderick 11-26-00
    Maggie 4-24-03
  2. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hello ... I'm still rather new here too .. so I don't usually do a welcome thing .. don't feel qualified ? LOL
    But I wanted to say I'm sorry you are having such a hard time .. especially with the "support" issue .. I'm amazed how many young women are on here .. I'm an oldy .. just turned 49 .. so I'm very lucky I don't have young kids or a husband who doesn't show support .. it must be very hard and I sympathize with you .. and yes .. the weight problem is one tough road with this as well.
    I hope you find what you are looking for on this board .. the people here are very nice and very informed so your quest of extra knowledge will help and be easily found as well.
    Good Luck
    Fudge : )
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I am an oldie too (55) and have had FMS for over 10 years. Welcome to our group. I'm sure you'll find lots of support as there are so many different people here.

My husband doesn't say much to me about the FMS. He does so much in errands and cooking, makes me feel really guilty. I can't imagine being your age and having this. Don't know how I would cope as a young mother.

What is a SAHM?

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Hi ya,
    Sorry, to hear all this, this stuff is really hard on familys. I too was diagnosed at about 24 and just starting my family. My hubby has just kinda ignored my problem. My oldest is now 12, and i'm in a flair.
    Hang in there, somedays will be really tuff. This is a great place to learn from. After 10 years of just living with this stuff, i'm coming to believe their are things that i can do to help myself.

Welcome, learn and share with us!

Misty
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

but,very HAPPY you found us!

It is wonderful to have doctors, loved ones, and friends who understand this disease. It is heartbreaking if they don't. My husband is the only one who truly sees what my life is like. I am sorry yours does not. Maybe with time?

I think you will find much support, knowledge, and understanding on this board. Sometimes we have our differences, but it is just as any family does. We are family here!

Post anything you want. No question is stupid! Feel free to answer other posts! You are not a stranger here....

Gentle Hugs,

Kim

PS... You too Fudge!
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Thanks ksp56 ... you and I are born in the same year ? ! Did you know we are the monkey in the Chinese astrology chart ? ... makes me laugh every time I see that .. my son is too .. we try to out talk each other ALL the time ! haha
    amlee .. I just noticed now .. your DH is "Ian" ? .. that is my son's name .. it is Gaelic for John .. my husband's name.
    Fudge : )
    PS .. ouch ... I got smacked on the side of the head for that "oldy" comment .... starcat ! LOL .. I read Koontz and King and Rice .. but what a swing to kids books ! .. I have Beatrix Potter hidden away !! haha

[This Message was Edited on 11/13/2005]
  7. amlee1978

amlee1978 New Member

SAHM = Stay at home mom.

Yep DH's name is Ian :)

Thanks for the warm welcome veryone!!

*Amy*
  8. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Yes! I know I am the sign of the Cat!

I KNOW I could out talk you and your son! LOL Nothing stops me.... Like a speeding bullet! I believe some thing I speak a foreign language..................

Nice to meet a fellow CAT!!! Purrrrrrrrrrrrr

Kim
  9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Yes! I know I am the sign of the Cat!

I KNOW I could out talk you and your son! LOL Nothing stops me.... Like a speeding bullet! I believe some thing I speak a foreign language..................

Nice to meet a fellow CAT!!! Purrrrrrrrrrrrr

Kim
  10. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

Welcome to the board. It's nice (and not so nice) to have people my age, 28 here, on the board. I'm really sorry to here that you aren't getting any support at home. I am blessed to have that support with my DH.

Keep you chin up. Come here for sympathy, support, to vent, for advice or to give us your suggestions whenever you can.

It means alot just talking to people who really understand what you deal with.

Hugs,
    Jen
  11. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Welcome to the board, so nice to have you. Sounds like you have your hands full, lots of pain, a big family and a hubby that does not understand.

One time there was a husband that came on here and posted a message, he told us that he did not understand the FM that his wife had and he got lots of response and he thanked them for responding.

I don't know if your husband would post or not, but we could all help him to understand that there are a lot of people out there that suffer with this and that may make a difference.

I hope that things get better for you and that the doctor will give you something more for your pain. I too have arthritis and it is up and down my spine, so I know that you are in pain and you are so young for that, I am sorry

I hope you get a lot of help and encouragement on here as I have.

kgangel
  12. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I am 52 & have had FM for 11 yrs. It is an awful thing but as time goes on you will become more knowledgeable and will
    meet alot of great people to reach out to and to vent when you want to. I have only been here for a month or so and

wish I would have come here sooner. I feel so sorry for the young people especially with kids. I have 2 grandchidren & when they come to visit I usually end up in bed for a week or two with fatigued and pain. I hope that you have family

near by to help, because you are in for the long hall. There is a good small paperback for family members that I found at the bookstore but can't remember the name. If you get the time, there are some great books out there. One is

called " Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain" A Survival Manual - second edition . The authors are Devin Starlanyl &
    Mary Ellem Copeland. This is like a Bible to me. It is alittle scary at first because it really gets into the nuts

and bolts of the illness, but you may never need another book as this one is thorough. I didn't mean to go on & on.
    Sorry...hope this helps for now. Talk to you later.

PIRT
  13. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

Welcome!!

There is alot of information and support here. Glad you found it. Sorry that your DH is a weinie over the diagnoses. I know exactly how you feel with th kids jumping and playing. I have a 2 and a 3 year old!!

Good luck and take care,

Dani
  14. jaltair

jaltair New Member

There are a lot of people here to listen and for you to listen to. It can be really great to find people who have things in common with you healthwise, and sometimes can help you cope better with your problems.

I'm sorry that DH isn't supportive, mine is pretty supportive; however, he doesn't believe in a diagnosis of FM or CF. He believes there is a underlying reason for all the symptoms. Sometimes I think that he is right. Sometimes I get so made at what I have (like tonight) that I think it doesn't exist either!

Don't know if all this rambling makes sense to you. You can read my profile if you wish to see my history and get an idea of how long this "thing" has plagued me.

I really understand the pain when kids "bounce" on or off of you! I remember mine, and now I have wonderful little grandkids that like to do the same thing! I'm happy for the pains they bring me sometimes! LOL

Take care and God bless you Amy!

Jeannette (older at 59!!!!)
  15. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and welcome to the board!Linda
  16. damyank

damyank New Member

I am also fairly new and have decided to reach out more.I am 34 and male,I know one of the few LoL!Anyway presently taking a gazillion different meds till find the right one,and going through a flare and fibro fog.Sorry if I seem all over the place I have a wife who has ms and really only sees her problem as important.I have been through quite a bit and now seem to be on the well you really dont have a disease.Anyway I dont want to ramble but welcome to board.
  17. JLH

JLH New Member

You most certainly can join us!! We have a super board/online support group here!! We like new blood!!! LOL

I have had fibro and systemic lupus since I was around 10 years old. It has progressed over the decades, and now I have a ton of other illness with it (see my bio) with just add to the extreme pain and fatigue of them.

I am another "oldie", too! I'll be 55 in a few months. I worked for 30 years and had to retire when I got the years in at age 48 because of my health. I am also on disability.

My DH doesn't understand either, and farms after his day's work at the office, so he does not help me around the house.

You said that the Effexor XR that you are on does not help you with your pain .... have you tried Cymbalta? A lot of people here are on it. It's fairly new and it also helps with pain.

I take it and Neurotin and Zanaflex. I also sleep with a CPAP machine and oxygen.

I also need to lose weight. I am also a diabetic. I go to my Endo doc on Wednesday. I think he is going to put me on an injectable med called Byetta which is supposed to help me lose weight. It is only for diabetics who take Glucophage. I'm praying that it will work for me!

Hope to be talking with you a lot!

Hugs,
    Janet
  18. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I was not able to read all the responses but I would look for a doctor familiar with fibro. Most will prescribe meds for pain.

Most things are "trial and error" as to what will help you. At one time I was taking MS Contin, a long acting morphine. It helped my pain completely and I became active again, however I could not tolerate the side effects of the drug. After 9 months I stopped it. I am now on a drug called Buprenorphrine. It blocks pain receptors in your brain and it working well for me.

I also take Ambien for sleep, Ultram for pain, Prevacid for Gastric Reflux, and regular Tylenol for pain. Oh, also Zoloft for anxiety. All this is working great.

I will tell you, for years I was very sick until I was able to break the pain cycle.

My pain levels are now a 1 or 2 which is very low.

Effexor alone does not "double" for pain management (in my opinion).

It is also very important you reduce your stress as much as possible including eliminating "toxic" people from your life. Sleep, diet and rest are important.

Just learn to take the best care of yourself as possible. Your body will force you to pay attention.

As respects to your weight, when I went on MS Contin I lost alot of weight. I was where you are at one time and I know you can get better. I lost 50 lbs in the last year, I know that has helped alot.

Bottom line, it sounds like you need to keep looking for the right doctor to help you - (pain must be addressed).

Stay here and keep reading and sharing....

[This Message was Edited on 11/13/2005]