Hi! New here, just diagnosed...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Braingonebad, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

Hello everyone.

After years of migraines and fatigue, and almost 3 yrs of being tested for multiple sclerosis, I was diagnosed with fibro today.

I used to be so healthy....

During all the testing, I've found I had a neck injury and syringomyelia, Raynaud's syndrome and brain lesions.

2 others docs brought fibro up before, but I dismissed it then because I wanted to go as far as I could to figure out what was up with those brain lesions before giving up on looking for MS.

I have done all the rule-outs, and don't have enough to qualify for MS still. And while I well may have FMS, all my symptoms don't seem to fit here, either. I'm still not really sure this is what I have, but I'm going along with my doc for now.

I just want to hang out and see how all of you cope with this, see what it's all about.

Also wanted to see if anyone else has tried Lyrica for pain? Stuff works really well for me - and I've tried a lot of 'em.

Looking forward to getting to know you, and hope you're having a good day!

Brain/Cathy
  2. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Welcome, hope you find this place to be a safe haven as I have. I have FMS and CFIDS(Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrom). I too have lesions on my brain and for years they said MS. I also have the gait problem, light sensitivity and others. But they all overlap so much. Was also told Lupus. The only thing I guess if it were MS is that it has a higher mortality rate. I've had it for 11+ years and doing pretty good. Never hear of the pain killer you are talking about Lyrica, is it a narcotic? I take only ultram for pain right now. I also have a herniated disk in lower back, osteoporosis, and osteoarthritis. I was on vicodin for the back pain but did not do too much, could not take at night because it would keep me awake but so does the ultram. Neither good on the stomach. You will find this a good site and the chat is great also. YOu can usually always find someone to chat with if you are up at 2 in the am and need someone to talk to. Good luck - Gentle fibro hugs - Bobby
  3. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

Lyrica is an anti-seizure med, like neurontin which is gabapentin - Lyrica is pregabalin.

It hasn't been approved (FDA) for too long I'm guessing, because there is so little info on it.

I tried neurontin, but couldn't tolerate it - even at 400 mgs, I was lost in a brain fog, could not feel my skin. I was injuring myself (not on purpose) and not noticing - not good!

My neuro at the time had RX'd it for migraines and other pain...then he put me on topamax - I still use that, and it works fine. I had tried about a dozen drugs before that, and was SO glad to have anything not make me worse!

Those migraines got so bad... I had 3 or 4 a week. Lost my job due to that.

Anyhoo, good to meet you, and I will have questions...
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I just wanted to add my welcome. This is a great place.The people here are very knowledgeable and there's always someone who can answer a question.

It takes time to educate yourself but that is the best thing you can do. Best of luck.

Kathy.
  5. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I'm relatively new here myself, but welcome. I think that a good many of us here are not sure what's wrong with us. I think that's okay.

This is an amazing board. You will find people here almost any time of the day or night to chat with, and I am shocked at the quality of information that I've gotten from everyone here. People tell me about all sorts of things that I'd never have learned about from any other source.

The've got great products, too.

-Bebe
  6. Pillsick

Pillsick New Member

Hello and welcome to the group, I'm new here too but have had Fibro for just over 12 yrs now.
  7. 57Wagon

57Wagon New Member

Hello and welcome to the group, I'm also new and was just diagnosed on Oct 18 2005
  8. 1horse

1horse New Member

welcome , sorry you are having so much trouble. most opf us have at one time or another..lots of information on the boards and nice people..WHO CAN RELATE. ~hugs~ peggy