Hi - New member

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DebinMN, Sep 6, 2002.

1. DebinMN

DebinMN New Member

Hi Everyone. I was diagnosed with Fibro two weeks ago....any input for pain treatment or support would be much appreciated.
  2. DebinMN

DebinMN New Member

Hi Everyone. I was diagnosed with Fibro two weeks ago....any input for pain treatment or support would be much appreciated.
  3. DebinMN

DebinMN New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I tried Vioxx, but it didnt help...
  4. caring

caring New Member

Deb in Mn. from another Mn born and raised but a Ks now for several years.

I'm sorry you have this dd but lots of great information here.

I'm 60 and had it since pre-school so done lots of things for help over the years.

What works for me now is supplements, diet, and exercise.
    Also a good doctor is a must, mine is open to meds and supplements and since my body doesn't seem to want to do meds. I'm glad I found her as I need professional help with the supplements.

My exercise is walking everyday right now.

hope this helps
    blessings
    pat
  5. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

The pain is unbearable sometimes. I take hydrocodone but is not much help at all. Have you got a doctor yet? I have heard on here alot of people having good results with higher doses of hydrocodone,and oxycontin. You really need to speak with your dr. We can all tell you what works for us but we have been through trial and error and sometimes it takes a long time to get the right thing that works for you. After this post you will be bumped to the top, so you can get some more suggestions. We are all here to help and hope to see you around often!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Welcome...the adjustment peiod will take a while, so use this site for knowledge and support. Do not blindly take any or all suggestions to be right for you. Your body will tell you what it does or doesn't accept, believe me! For me, Ultram 50 mgs. 3 or 4 times a day and bedtime muscle relaxant, Soma are lifesavers! I also take antihypertensives, Black Cohosh for menopausal symptoms, milk thistle to detox my liver due to all the meds, Tylenol does nothing for my pain and it is easily toxic to the liver so I even avoid the Vicodin if I can, 'cause it has Tylenol in it. Oxy doesn't help me any better than my longtime drug of choice, Ultram, but everyone responds differently.
    Be informed and try to make wise choices, but some of your treatment will have to have to be just tried to tell if it helps you. We'll let you know what we think.....
    To your health!
    Kady
  7. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

Welcome to the board! There's so much information here! Like Kady said, everyone's different and responds to medications and treatments differently. Use it as a guide to educate yourself. You'll probably have to try alot of things until you find the ones that work right for you.

Also, if you click on the Library tab, there's all kinds of articles there as well.

You'll find alot of support here. It will be a comfort for you to know you're not alone!

-Shoobie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2002]
  8. jeanann

jeanann New Member

I am fairly new to this board also. I was dx with FM October 2001. Its a shock, however at least I know wnat is going on with my body now. this board and other internet supports have been a wealth of knowledge. What I am learning now and i say now as i feel i have chased this disease since being diagnosed. What i am learning is that i am going to hurt. simple, whether i do something or not. my choice. The doctors can help to a point, bottom line is this is a disease of pain and we are going to have it. there is no sense in calling dr. every time i have a flare. When i am in pain i take my hydrocodone and ibubrufen, sit in the hot tub, stretch and move around and just take it easy on myself. So far there is no majic cure. I have had to learn to change my lifestyle. MAke sure i eat correctly, get the right kind of exercise and stress, I KEEP STRESS OUT OF MY LIFE. So how do you do that. PRACTICE, PRACTICE , PRACTICE. I just don't invite it in any more. Its bad for my condition so I stay clear. Not perfect at this yet, however working on it deligently.
    I am so sorry for your dx however you have come to the right place. Oh yes, getting the right kind and enough sleep is very important with FMS. Finding the right sleep aid for you is important. Hang out on this board you will get alot of good information. (((((((HUGS)))))))) jean ann
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2002]
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Debin, glad to have you join us. I see you have already met some of our members.

Just dropped by to welcome you, and let you know we are here for you whenever you need us.

Again, a big welcome.

Shalom, Shirl
  10. PMangels

PMangels New Member

Welcome. There is much information on this site. Very informative and helpful people. I am learning more everyday.

I take Vioxx, Prozac, Ultram (when needed for pain), Doxipen, and Mirapex. Right now these meds work for me but everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another. When I started doctoring for FM it took a long time to find a med that would work for me. I am hyper sensitive to meds. You may have to work with your doc a while to find the right one for you.

Glad you found this site. There will be much to learn.

Arlene
  11. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

I have fms & cfids. I take glucosamine w/ chon. & a complete vit/min/supp package I got from my dr.(very similar to what they offer here). I also take Klonopin for my restless legs. I've started exercising (only stretched at 1st cause I was so out-of-shape), have switched to caffeine free soda & cut down on that & replaced it with lots & lots of water.

You've gotten some great advice already, so just wanted to share my treatment plan. I do not need pain meds at this time, but won't hesitate to ask for them if the time comes & I do.

Take care. Michele
  12. meandyou

meandyou New Member

Hello,
    We are a wonderful group of people who care and can only tell you our experiences . I was sick for many years and the doctors didn't know what to do with me. I finally got a few answers and now know it is really a diease and not just all in my head as my doctors would say. I always knew it was a physical illness . I try to rest when I get tired and am in pain The ice packs and moist heat pads help alot. I don't take meds anymore because they really only make me sicker now. It's been 11 years now, so the medicine I do take is once in awhile when the pain is unbearable. I hope this can be a some help to you . Remember to pamper yourself as much as possible. The little things in life mean more to me now than ever before. Try to find a support group for FM in your area and go if you can. It does help to get out with people who know how you feel. Have a wondeful day and remember to always stay positive and never give up. Take care.

meandyou,
    theresa
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2002]