Hi! New to this particular board....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeavenlyRN, Feb 10, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

...and I was wondering what "Porchlights" and "Loungers" are. I am interested in joining in on some of your discussions.

I usually go to the Fibromyalgia board but thought it might be fun to "spread my wings" a little bit. I've received so much good information on the Fibro board and I bet I could find some here as well. But don't expect much from me......I'm pretty boring! :)
  2. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Boring? Well, No you're not. No one is.

I can tell you a little about Loungers. I haven't done Porchlights. Loungers are a thread of people who basically don't get out much. We, for the most part, are homebound or almost homebound. Bedbound people are Loungers too, but I don't think we have any of those right now. We also welcome visitors and drop-ins. Mostly, anyone can join us. But, we were founded by Spacee, you'll meet her. And we were formed to be a support group for homebound and bedbound folks. Come meet us. Maybe you'll like us!

3. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

I'm so glad you've found this board. Although we still have our illnesses to contend with this board offers some welcome relief from our aches and pain.

I don't hang out on the "Porch" or the "Lounge" but a lot of great folks do and I know they'd welcome you with open arms.

On this board we tell jokes, share hobbies, books and other interests. It's a great place to meet new folks.

I sincerely doubt that you're boring - LOL. I worried that since I've had to quit working because of my health that people would think I was boring too.

Have you had a lot of snow where you're located???

Again, welcome to our world.

4. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Nope - not too much snow here. I'm in Rochester, NY. We have snow on the ground and got a little less than an inch last night. I keep thinking we're due for a dumping any time soon

Thank you for the welcome. I've gone to other websites, for various reasons - weightloss, fibromyalgia, etc - but this is the first place I've come to where people aren't picking on each other for one reason or another. It's like a breath of fresh air.

I will be back for sure.
  5. teacher

teacher New Member

Chit Chat is exactly that. Talking about nothing and everything.

You can post your own topic or chime in on someonelse's.

People ask for recipies. Some share family news. Some share random bits of trivia.

We talk about the news, the weather, and pop culture.

Pull up a chair and join the fun.

Porchlight is just another group of people that gather to chat about their daily comings and goings just as people always do.

The Porch is made up of people that range from limited in their daily movement to those that drag themselves to work everyday and don't have energy for much else.

We talk about everything and nothing. Feel free to visit the Porch. Jerome will make you comfy with a cushy rocker and a nice blankie. Maybe he'll even have a nice cup of hot chocolate waiting for you!

Again welcome. You'll find lots of fun here.
  6. springwater

springwater Active Member

Welcome! We'd love you to drop in and chat. Teacher has explained about the Porch.
    Informal. Just daily recordings of what youve been and gone and done or not done.
    Sometimes we just drop a line to say we're in a fibro fog and didnt do anything! But its
    a nice place to come to. Like Loungers and the other chit chat threads.

God bless
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Comon in. Pull up a chair.

The Loungers and Porch threads are alike. Threads that have no topic.
    You can post about whatever you like. Typically: family, pets, music, the good
    old days, the bad old days, TV, recipes, weather, etc.

Now and then we mention that we are a little better or a little worse, but the
    focus is not on medical matters. The porch started 4-5 years ago. The Loungers
    thread was started by Spacee a couple months ago.

Some folks post daily. Some drop by now and then when they are up to it. Sometimes
    we respond to others' posts. Sometimes we are not up to it.

I read on the CFS/Fibro board how you picked your name. There's also a gal on
    the Porch who used to work as a nurse.

Stop by whenever you're in the neighborhood.

8. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say thank you for all of the welcomes. Sounds like a fun board. I'll definitely hang out here as well as the fibro board.

See you soon.
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

As you can see there are many places on these boards that you can come to have fun, not necessarily all talk about FM, CFS etc. etc.

Glad Rock also invited you to stop by and check out The Porch (that is the one with the Porch lights going on and off with differnt volume numbers). It is a fictional place where you can talk about anything,, eat anything you want and you won't gain weight, and talk almost anything. We are there for each other, just as those on the Lounger thread. We all love and look after wach other or at least try to. We have wonderful people who come to The Porch thread even if many see to be MIA at the moment :) !!

BTW, I also used to e a nurse as was Jole, Linda and I am sure others too but htose stick in my mind at themoment. Actually I did not work long in the hospital and quit and did lots of other things after having 5 children.

Anyway, gotta go for now and please stop by at all these threads. I am sure you will a lot of fun people and things to fill your day if you are not working. I glanced at your bio but don't remember if you were still working. I think you said Hospice nurse. That is wonderful sweetie.

Well, I have to run for now. Hope to see you soon again !

10. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I followed you over here. This is a place where you can talk about non medical issues. I peek in from time to time.

Sometimes it is a relief not speaking of careers, intense relationships, just kind of a soap box when needed. Of course there are times we need to discuss serious issues of our own and others.

Asatrump was the name of the best shih tzu I produced after six generations of show dogs. He is long gone and I lost my last shih tzu in August. At 65 I made the decision not to replace her, our yard is not fenced and various other reasons.

I just got a photo today of a cousin I have not seen in 50 years, I am now 65 and he is 62. OMG he is an old man, no more red hair, but gray. Then as I passed by a hall mirror a gray haired woman with limp hair hit my peripheal vision. That can't be me.

Let me toss a question out. When you dream, how old are you? I dream of being around 20ish, feeling good and looking good. I never dream of an old lady with a bucketfull of pills.
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Whenever I see your name I think of my grandmother. Of Norwegian descent,
    she had a Norwegian first name: Aase; pronounced Ah-suh, but later Americanized
    to Aw-see.

Her husband (my grandfather) was alive when Lincoln was president. One of his children
    is still living.

W/ re: 2 dreams, I pretty much seem to be ageless. Don't dream much anymore.
    And when I do, the dreams are boring. Generally waiting for something: someone to
    arrive, a meeting to start, sometimes don't even know I'm waiting for.

W/ re: 2 shit-tzus, got 3 from a rescue society about 20 years ago. Paid $100@.
    Chester was at least a year old when we got him. Was with us 17 years.

Have you read "Merle's Door." Story of a dog w/ a lot of history and science thrown
    in. Made me cry. But then, most dog books do.

12. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

We are also pinochle players, and Ace of Trump evolved into Asatrump to fit in the 28 letter AKC papers along with kennel names.

I lost my last dog in August, and this is the first time since 1976 I have no dogs. At one point I had 13 adults, many in show coat, would spend 5 hours daily grooming and bathing. Over a ten year period I had 27 litters of puppies, very high quality as I bred to top dogs in the country. An era gone by. My back can't handle the grooming and since we moved this yard is not fenced. Our pets ask little and give everything.

I sometimes joke, and not really funny, but I say when I die before I see a single person I want to be surrounded by every dog that came into and left my home. I could think of nothing finer than sitting and passing out dog cookies, and have Heidi climb on top of all of them like some dog herding sheep to get them where she wanted them to go.

Blessed memories as I know all pet owners share.

tee hee, rock.... please check your spelling of SHIH tzu... although at one point in my life I seriously considered writing a book titled: the Shits of the Shih Tzu...... once involved in dog show world, let's just say rules are broken and fair ness does not exist. Wishing I could be this weekend at Westminster in NY city..
  13. painkillers58

painkillers58 New Member

Now I know who Porchlighters and Loungers r. I try to get out at least once a week but,(sigh) this winter blows me back in the door.So here I have stayed,except for my visits to my knowledgeable doc.I have animals which r great company. Alas age has also creapt into three of the four.We are all "loungers." I have a puppy too and wish I had half his energy.I also have a better half.I say that because most days (lol) I only love him more. Last but not least are my 4 grown daughters. They have lifes of their own but never do I doubt I am loved by them. I am blessed beyound words.My health will continue to decline but I am greatful for each new day. I use to come here years ago and without the necessary equipment lost touch. It's wondress to see the high caliber of people in this community, and look forward to meeting more of them too.

take care