Hi, newly Rx'd and am confused

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dridlen, Apr 23, 2006.

1. dridlen

dridlen New Member

Good afternoon,

I am so glad I found this board. It has helped me a bunch already.
    I am newly diagnosed and have a lot of questions. But will start with just one or two.

I really am confused about the best way to treat this DD. I am on anti-depressants, and use OTC pain meds because they still work somewhat. I do have to use them every day, several times a day. I have a terrible time sleeping, I probably get 2-3 hours a night. I just started taking Antivan and it helps me to sleep. I have a terrible time with Restless Legs, is that normal.

Also my Dr mentioned The Guaifenesin Protocol, even sent me to a PA who specializes in it. It sounds like it would be very hard to stick to the special diet she suggested to go with it. Anyone know anything about it? Does it work?

Ok, my two questions are up.
    Thanks so much
    Dottie
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

Hello and welcome to the board. Glad you found us. You will love everyone here, they are all so supportive. My mom takes requip for restless legs and it works good on her. Maybe you should ask your doctor about it. I've never heard of The Guaifenesin Protocol so can't help you there.

Kriket
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Welcome to the board!

I'm sorry you have CFS/FM, but think you will find lot's of helpful people with good info.

The guai protocol is dicussed a lot on this board, many are doing it.
    Go to upper left corner find search and type in Guai or whole name and you should see lot's of post's on it.

Best wishes,

Claudia

P.S. The guaifenisan is sold on this site, if you go to store it will tell a bit about it as well.:)
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Dottie,
    Welcome to the board. I'm sorry you have FM but you have come to the right place for support. Finding the treatment that will work for you sometimes takes some trial and error but you are on the right track. Taking pain meds regularly is common and you need to keep your pain under control. I am glad you are getting some help to sleep. Many of us have to take meds for the sleep disorder; that is common too. There are some good meds for restless legs. I don't have that problem but a lot do.

As had been said, there is lots of info on the guai protocol if you choose it. Do your research beforehand though.

There are lots of caring people here so ask more questions if you need to.

Good luck
    Kathy.

5. srh

srh New Member

I am so... glad you found the board. I wish I would have sooner.

So many things you learn on here and suggestions you can research.

I take Mirapex for my Restless Legs. Works great. I've been on it for over 5 years.

I also take Antivan. I have to take Xanaflex (8 mg) with it to get a good night's sleep though. There are several other muscle relaxers you could take also. I also take a calcium supplement at bedtime. This also seems to help.

You just have to try several combos I think before you find one to help you.

6. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I cant help you with the Guaifenisin, havent tried it. Im on 27 different meds and none of them work very well with the pain. Most are for my allegeries, blood pressure, depression and of course for the FM pain

Suzette
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are very fortunate to have a medical professional who specializes in the Guai treatment. A special diet isn't necessary for the success of the treatment but since so many of us are hypoglycemic, a low-carb diet does help us feel better.

First, go to Guaidoc.com and read about the Guai treatment. Then, buy Dr. St. Amand's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia." It is an excellent book whether you do the treatment or not.

Most of us felt overwhelmed about the problem of eliminating sals from our personal care items in the beginning. It really isn't that difficult and once it is done, all one has to do is fine tune the dose and sit back and let the Guai start the reversal/cycling process. Eating plants isn't a problem but taking supplements with highly concentrated herbs or botanicals is as is using personal care items with botanicals in them. For instance, using lotion with aloe vera will block the Guai from working. It's all in the book. Most of us took our time getting sal free before starting out. There is excellent support here and at the Guaidoc website.

I have CFIDS as well as FMS. Five years ago, I was bedridden most of the time and on Morphine for my FMS pain. My FMS symptoms are about 90 percent reversed but I am still dealing with my CFIDS. If it were not for the Guai, I would likely still be on Morphine and in bed most of the time. As it is, I'm planning on trying to work part time soon.

As suggested above, do a search on Guai in the title mode and it will bring up our old posts. Good luck. I'm glad you found us. This is an excellent website with very knowledgeable and caring members.

Love, Mikie
  8. dridlen

dridlen New Member

Thanks so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it and am taking it to heart. I will take it a little at a time and see what works for me. This seems like a good site to start to do that.

Thanks again,
    Dottie