Hi Phenom

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jackie41, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I had the same problem being embarassed in front of my friends when I first started to use crutches. There were times I would have liked to have them and didn't because I was afraid of what they would say. The way out of this was to use them more. When they saw me on them enough, they finally figured out that I really needed them for walking any distance. The real friends accept that this is the way I am now and they hardly say anything. In fact when we go out, some of them even say something like "we might have to walk a ways, you better take your crutches." This never would have happened if I had avoided using them as much as possible. When I have more time, I,ll tell you about a young lady about your age that I just met a few days ago who uses crutches part time for muscle weakness after a fractured pelvis. She had the same problem with her friends and dealt with it very nicely. I promise you most of your friends will support you if you stop trying to hide your need for crutches. Ask yourself this: how much fun is it to go around leaning on people and walls and avoiding all places where there is nothing to hold onto? What kind of life is that? My crutches are liberating; I can go almost anywhere with them. If a few of your friends want you to not have this freedom, to hell with them. It's your life; don't be so passive. Two more things---you are important and forget about the wheel chair, it's way too confining for you. LOL and keep in touch.

Jackie
    [This Message was Edited on 03/12/2003]
  2. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

3. phenom

phenom New Member

sorry jackie for taking so long to reply - and thanks for the bump - or i'd never have seen it!!!

your absolutely right. they are liberating to use- because i can go shopping!! do you find though that your arms and shoulders get very fatigued from using them? mine ache after an afternoon out.

my true friends are great about it and encourage me to use them more - but it'll take me a while to realise i NEED them. i'm stubborn :( thanks for your kind words, they sure did put a smile on my dial, and i needed that today!

phenom
  4. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I'm a bit pressed for time now but I'll get back to you soon. One nice thing about the crutches. On my better days I can walk without having to use sensible shoes. My arms don't get tired enough to stop me from using them.

LOL

Jackie
  5. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I'm so nosey! How long have you been on crutches, and do you use them more now than months ago. Did a PT teach you to use them or are you self-taught like me? Do you know about the 2-point and 4-point crutch gaits and all that boring stuff? Which one do you use? Some days I can walk without them but I'll use them as a precaution for going to the mall( I love the malls, especially the shoe stores). Was it tough, psychologically to have to use them? It was for me and still is. Sorry for all the dumb questions but It's hard to find someone in the same boat to talk to and compare notes. Please keep in touch.

Hugs

Jackie

6. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

7. phenom

phenom New Member

i didn't realise there was a 'way' to use crutches (thanks nink!)- though i did know if you had the underarm ones not to put your weight on them, because you can damage the nerves and blood vessels in your armpits. i have the forearm type though - for that very reason.

and because of that its probably obvious that i'm self-taught, wouldn't want to do an exam though! and 2-point and 4-point crutch gaits - what the....? lol sorry i don't know what that is!

i use them on bad days (like yesterday), and they do help me lots. i hardly ever used them before, but they were always in my car, ready and waiting. i'd use them now about once every fortnight, though i should be using them about twice a week (Thats how often i go out - food shopping etc). but what really bums me is that i seriously forget to use them. i don't know if its fog or just plain stupidity (lol) but i'll go out and realise i've left them next to the front door or something. i'm getting better though.

phenom

p.s. can u tell me what the 2 point thing-a-ma-jig stuff is pleas? i'd really be interested. thanks!
  8. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

Wow, that was a quick reply. It must be evening in the Antipodes. I imagine you must be about 13 or 14 hrs. behind me.
    Anyway the 2-point and all that nonsense refers to the type of choreography used with crutches and depends on whether one or both legs are effected and how much. It's really quite de rigeur to know this stuff so pay attention, there WILL be an exam! Go to www.walkeasy.com and click on the red button that says "interact". If you happen to be colorblind, click on the button that says "interact" regardless of its color. To the left of the screen, click on crutch gait. This brings up a description of all the major gaits that the fashionable crutch user should have in her repertoire. Next to each description is a little colored button that says " view movie" or something like that. Clicking the button brings up a dorky, but cute, little cartoon that illustrates that gait.

On most days when I'm just using my crutches for extra support, I use the 2-point gait, since it's much faster. On the days when my legs are too weak to walk without crutches, the 4-point gait and swing-to gait are all I can manage. The basic idea is that, if both legs are weak, the right crutch supports the left leg and the left supports the right. It's really quite natural and I'm sure you've figured it out by now.
    I remember the first time I used my "extra legs", I was a complete klutz. Being terribly embarrassed and self conscious didn't help, either. Fortunately, there was a physical therapist shopping at the mall who saw me strugling and she gave me a quick lesson that set me straight. Do you remember your first time on crutches? How long did it take you to get the knack of it? Are your legs ever so weak that you can't walk without crutches Or are they more for security?
    I envy you a bit that you only have to use your sticks once a week or so. About once a fortnight is about how often I can go out of the house without them. But then, I'm mutch older and more decrepit than you, what with the BIG THREE OH hoving into view.
    I can't tell you how much it means to hear from you and know that I'm not alone. I thought I was a complete freak for the longest time. Please stay in touch. If I need to get a message to you, I'll be sure to put phenom in the title so you can use the search feature to find it if it gets buried on page 52.

LOL

Jackie fourlegs
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2003]
  9. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

Do you think we should take this conversation to the chit chat message board since it's probably not of general interest? Please advise.

Jackie
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2003]
  10. phenom

phenom New Member

i feel like such a newbie after hearing all these things you know! i'll have to do some serious cramming before this exam! that site was really helpful (plus i liked the way you said repatoire - makes me feel really good!). i'd say that i'm a 3-POINT ALTERNATE GAIT-er, and sometimes a swing-through-er (if i'm in a hurry).

so now you and i should get together and work out a ballet on crutches! we can tour! lol sorry!

oh, and i'm not colourblind, but thanks for the 'heads up' anyways, you made me giggle!

what colour are your crutches? i got mine from a friend who had a knee reconstruction and knew about my probs, so he passed them on afterwards. they are a dark-ish blue metal with grey 'cuffs' (?), grey handles, and grey feet. hope you can figure out what i mean by all that! i'd love a bright purple or pink pair and i'll put streamers on them! who says we can't be fashionable.

phenom
    [This Message was Edited on 03/21/2003]
  11. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I'd rather not use e-mail since I'm not the only one with access to this computer and I'm worried about privacy. I'll leave you a message on th chit chat board. If you havn't used this, just click on "message boards" at the top of the page, then click on chit chat forum. It works just like this message board, but it's for personal messages rather than general subjects. I'll post my next message for you there.

Jackie