Hi Rock -- and all fiction fans,

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ConfusedInPA, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Active Member

Hi Rock, and all,

I was browsing amazon this morning. And I got a pleasant surprise.

Maeve Binchy will have a new book released: CHESTNUT STREET. It's a collection of stories. New.

Per amazon, it will be released on April 22. I already put a hold on a copy at my library.

I looked at the Maeve Binchy website, and according to her husband, Maeve had been working on this collection for some years.

What a pleasant surprise!

Hope you can put a hold on the book at your library!

I haven't found a lot of books to talk about lately. I did thoroughly enjoy Jeffrey Archer's "The Clifton Chronicles". I recently finished "Be Careful What You Wish For." (I think that was vol. 4 in the series.) To me, these books are "can't put down"-type books. Now I have to wait until 2015, for the next book.

I wonder if Carl Hiaasen has any new books coming out? I enjoy his writing. David Rosenfelt (the guy who writes the Andy Carpenter series) has a new book out -- "Without Warning". It's not in the Andy C. series, but I'll still probably enjoy it. I'm on the waiting list at the library.

Anyways -- just wanted to give you, and all our fiction lovers, a heads up about the Maeve Binchy book.

Y'all feel free to post about books y'all are reading, waiting to be released, etc. I'd love to hear from y'all.

Take care...............

Diane

2. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Diane

Good to hear from you. Thank you for the Maeve Binchy alert. The LA Library isn't buying so
    many books these days, but I was delighted to find they have "Chestnut Street". I put it on hold.

I posted a list of books I recommend on the porch yesterday. You might wanna look at
    that. Last night I started the first in a series of village books by a lady named Rebecca
    Shaw. Title is "The New Rector". Read several chapters last night. So far so good.

There are several books in the series. The library computer isn't cooperating; not
    sure how many.

My favorite short story writers are James Thurber (My Life and Hard Times);
    Ring Lardner; Dorothy Parker; Edna Ferber. The more modern writer Raymond
    Carver was often called country's greatest short story writer, but I couldn't stand
    to read his stuff. I prefer the old fashioned structure where a story has a beginning,
    middle and end.

Carl Hiaasen has no new novels, but he does have a new book of his columns. I tried
    a similar book some years ago. I was hoping they'd be funny like those of his friend and former co worker Dave Barry, but they weren't. I put Dave's latest book on hold some months
    ago; still waiting.

That double "a" in Hiaasen tells you it's Scandinavian. So is Tusen Takk (thousand thanks).

Rock
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know why but I start a book these days and just lose interest, even with good books. I think I mentioned that I'm in some kind of boredom crisis. Had lunch with a couple of friends from the hood I saw at Bealls and one of the women was experiencing the exact same thing as I. Anyway, I never thought I'd every feel this way about reading. I'm hoping this too shall pass. In the meantime, I'm happy for all you little bookworms out there.

Love, Mikie
  4. windblade

windblade Active Member

Diane - thanks for the good news about the upcoming Maeve Binchy book. I re-read her books many times. My favorites are 'Scarlet Feather' and 'Quentins'. The twins in Scarlet Feather are hilarious characters.

I also love the series by Alexander McCall Smith, starting with 'The # 1 Ladies Detective Agency', and going on to over 12 books with the same characters. The descriptions of Botswana, the characters, the humor, the whimsical musings are so enjoyable. I always feel good after I read one.
  5. bct

bct Member

Maeve Binchy; a wonderful writer. I must say though that I prefer her earlier works. The Lilac Bus, Circle of Friends, Firefly Summer and other. I am a bit disappointed with A Week in Winter --- I put it down to read an Edmund Crispen novel instead. Crispen wrote old-fashioned eccentric mysteries with eccentric characters. No blood and guts.

I will read Chestnut Street when I can get it. How did you all like it? In October another Binchy book is coming out. It is a collection of her articles from The Irish Times, when she was a journalist there. It is called Maeve's Times, and is arranged from the '60's to the 2000's. Her first and last articles are included.

A very valuable book site for me is fantasticfiction.co.uk
    This is a very useful site, containing bibliographies and biographies of the authors. Really an EXCELLENT site!

Happy reading,
    Barry
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  6. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi, Barry. Went to the LA Library. They never heard of Edmund Crispin. Turns out one has
    to search for Bruce Montgomery. Anyhoo, I put one of his books on hold. Am still waiting for
    "Chestnut Street". I had to wait months to get Dave Barry's latest book.

Too bad Maeve Binchy wasn't a purveyor of recipes. She could have called her column Maeve's Tines.

Just read one of the dullest books ever written.* It was a novel about an opera singer, but it
    contained almost nothing about singing and even less about opera. What's unexpected is that
    it was written by one of America's most popular singers during the 30s-50s. She not only sang opera. She did loads of concerts and radio appearances and movies.

Read a great book on "Hollywood" (that's the title) by writer and director Garson Kanin. He was a writer and director on Broadway and in Hollywood. His most famous work was "Born
    Yesterday". His wife Ruth Gordon was an actress and writer. Remember the old lady who
    was Mia Farrow's neighbor in Rosemary's Baby? That was Ruth.

Here's an interesting quote although perhaps a slight overstatement. "A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies… The man who never reads lives only one." George R.R. Martin

Rock

*Actually I read the first 30 pages. Then did some skimming. Then gave it up.