HI, what exactly is Leaky Gut?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pands45, Jul 10, 2003.

1. pands45

pands45 New Member

I have seen this a few times while viewing posts and I never actually understood what it meant. It sounds horrible, but I have never heard my Rhuemy mention this to me what so ever. Could someone Please explain? Thanks. Sherri
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Occurs when the gut is not healthy and particles of rotting food pass through the gut walls and into the bloodstream, making one sick. This leads to food allergies when the immune identifies these foods as foreign invaders in the blood.

The cause is often a lack of good bacteria in the gut. The Jarro Dophilus probiotics sold here are the finest I have found. Everyone past about 35 should be taking them because even if ones does not take antibiotics, the body slows down production of probiotics at about that age. It's just good preventive medicine.

One of the first symptoms of Leaky Gut Syndrome is often shoulder pain.

Love, Mikie
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I never really understood what it was either, but pictured in my mind someone standing in line at the checkouts, and fluid leaking out of their abdomen onto their shoes! What our minds don't come up with!

Marilyn :)
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....and I am one who has been diagnosed with severe food allergies in the past year due to "leaky gut" syndrome. I am taking the probiotics Mikie mentioned, plus digestive enzymes & other supps, plus a strict anti-allergy diet----the sum total of this program for me has meant that I'm slowly feeling healthier & more energetic, and I've seen a decrease in my FM symptoms; I strongly feel that in my particular case (and of course, everyone's case is different) leaky gut was the beginning of FM for me; and the road back will be slow, because I did not recognize that I even HAD food allergies/leaky gut for years! If you do a search of past posts on food allergies/leaky gut, my name will come up a lot; I have noticed enough gradual improvement in my FM symptoms, that I discuss this a lot now!! I have also lost about 25 lbs (which I needed to lose) from my healthier diet & supps.-----all from finally learning about leaky gut syndrome & the food allergies that can result! I found a great allergist locally who's real knowledgeable about this stuff, & I learned a lot right here from others on this board who have a lot of wisdom on this subject. I'm reaping the benefits now (thanks, everyone)!

Sherri, there are also a lot of great articles on the web about leaky gut syndrome, & ones that discuss in-depth how to help your gut heal, so you may want to do a search for them. BTW, rheumatologists seldom DO mention this. More likely, a naturopathic doctor or chiropractor will know about this, or in my case, an allergist/immunologist MD who uses BOTH traditional & naturopathic medicine.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. pands45

pands45 New Member

Thanks so much everyone. I will look up more info on the net, but the info u gave me was great. Thanks again. Sherri
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2003]
  6. dleverettjr

dleverettjr New Member

The official definition is an increase in permeability of the intestinal mucosa to luminal macromolecules, antigens and toxins associated with inflammatory degenerative and/or atrophic mucosal damage. In other words, large spaces develop between the cells of the gut wall, and bacteria, toxins and food leak in.

A lot of people go on restrictive diets like Glutten/Caesine free GF/CF. Basically no milk or wheat. There is research that the peptides in these protiens leak through the gut and act like opiates in the brain contributing to austism. It is a hard diet to stick to very restrictive

I know there is a Candida diet also that is used by people but I don't know much about it.

Basically the gastro-intestinal tract, or gut,
    i) Digests foods,

ii) Absorbs small food particles to be converted into energy.

iii) Carries nutrients like vitamins and minerals attached to carrier proteins across the gut lining into the bloodstream.

iv) Contains a major part of the chemical detoxification system of the body, and

v) Contains immunoglobulins or antibodies that act as the first line of defence against infection.

The 7 stages of the 'inflamed’ gut.
    1 . When the gut is inflamed, it does not absorb nutrients and foods properly and so fatigue and bloating can occur.

2. As mentioned previously, when large food particles are absorbed there is the creation of food allergies and new symptoms with target organs, such as arthritis or fibromyalgia.

3. When the gut is inflamed the carrier proteins are damaged so nutrient deficiencies occur which can also cause any symptom, like magnesium deficiency induced muscle spasm or copper deficiency induced high cholesterol.

4. Likewise when the detox pathways that line the gut are compromised, chemical sensitivity can arise. Furthermore the leakage of toxins overburdens the liver so that the body is less able to handle everyday chemicals.

5. When the gut lining is inflamed the protective coating of lgA (immunoglobulin A) is adversely affected and the body is not able to ward off protozoa, bacteria, viruses and yeast’s like candida.

6. When the intestinal lining is inflamed, bacteria and yeast’s are able to translocate. This means that they are able to pass from the gut lumen or cavity, into the bloodstream and set up infection anywhere else in the body.

7. The worst symptom is the formation of antibodies. Sometimes these leak across and look similar to antigens on our own tissues. Consequently, when an antibody is made to attack it, it also attacks our tissue. This is probably how autoimmune disease start. Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, thyroiditis and many others are members of this ever-growing category of ‘incurable’ diseases.
  7. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

gut, lining.

I was also diagnosed with this and took the powdered form of l-glut., for sometime. The store here sells a product called, "GlutImmune," and while its not as pleasant tasting as regular l-glut., its not as bad as something like psyllium. With GlutImmune I showed greater improvement on my lab values than I did on just plain l-glut.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
    [This Message was Edited on 07/10/2003]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sitting here laughing thinking about what you described and can't get the picture out of my mind. I'll probably always think of this now whenever I hear of leaky gut.

Love, Mikie