hi, what kind of dr do i go see to get an evaluation.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tennisgirl25, Jul 15, 2003.

1. tennisgirl25

tennisgirl25 New Member

i have gone to drs for 20 years and all they can come up with is arthritis. i need some answers. i need some treatment that is going to help. i have hydrocodone, and i have to take one half, to preserve my prescription. this is because i don't want addicted, and the drs are not ready to give refills. i have gone to pain clinics, gotten block shots, and still come up with pain. right now, the whole right side of my body hurts. the shoulder hurts down the arm. the orthepedic dr i went to said i had arthritis in my colar bone, that made the shoulder be in pain. i have pain from my hip to my ankle, like sciatica. he also said that there was no indication that surgery would help. is anyone else out there like this.
  2. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

I don't know if this will help, but at my doctor's office, people with rheumotoid arthritis get an IV treatment to help alleviate the pain. The reason I know this is because I have FM and go in for IV nutrient treatment at my doctor's office, and I see the arthritis patients get their medication through IV. I don't know what the IV consists of, but I know that the treatment lasts for about 3 hours. Maybe you can talk to your rheumotologist or go online to check out more information on this treatment. Good luck.
    Alicia
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to the board. I hope someone here can help you, if not we do have an Arthritis board on this site also.

Just go to the 'Message Boards' link it will bring up an index of all the boards.

I have Fibromyalgia, this pain is in the muscles not the joints.
    I do have arthritis in my fingers, but it is not bad enough to warrabt treatment by a doctor, I take 'Glucosamine & Chondroitin', a supplement for it and it does help with the pain and the swelling.

I sure hope you get some answers soon, its so difficult to deal with all that pain, and no one seems to be able to help.

Again, welcome to the board, and I hope someone can relate to your symptoms.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. gramof2

gramof2 New Member

Hi, Tennisgirl, I just found this site this evening and posted something myself about nerve pain I'm having.

I thought I was having trouble with my spine, again. I have had two surgeries on my back due to ruptured disc.

It's been years since the surgeries and I now have pain that starts at my lower back, runs into my right hip and into my right knee. It's so painful I wake nights wanting to run to the ER.

I have had every test to check for further spinal troubles and it's all been negative. Bummer

Now I'm looking into acupuncture. I do not want to increase my meds and if I have another nerve block I'm gonna scream!!!

I was posting to see if anyone else has had trouble with this kind of nerve pain because it's not typical Fibro stuff but MD's can't see anything else.

I go for physical therapy and she thinks the fibro may be causing muscel spasms that catch the nerve and cause the pain. Who knows, right?

Am so sorry you are sharing this pain with me. I know how maddening it is. Please let me know if I can help in anyway. I've been at this Fibro stuff for nine years now and everytime I think I've got it beat, it comes back to kick me on my butt!

Hope you have a better day tomorrow. Am sending soft hugs. Neen
  5. azcactuslil

azcactuslil New Member

Hi,
    Have you seen a rheumatologist or just a PCP? I was finally diagnosed correctly by a rheumatologist with recent traing after being labeled with the arthritis tag for years.

I understand about being careful with the pain meds. I use them very sparingly myself. I am getting trigger point injections. I also see a chiropractor who does wonders for my neck and shoulder pain. When my insurance covered I got massages, not deep tissue though. Way to painful.

There was a guy who posted a couple days ago about how he learned to do acupuncture on himself from a website. He said he is off all meds and pain free.

Carrie
  6. tennisgirl25

tennisgirl25 New Member

the pain in not the kind that makes it impossible to walk. it is a dull burning pulling pain. i have it come in spasams, like labor. i bear down with it when it hurts. the dr said if it was a surgery pain that it would hurt to lift my leg. that doesn't hurt, when i get up in the mornings to make coffee, sometimes, it is so bad i have to take pain meds, just from standing in the kitchen long enough to make 6 cups of coffee. i had my stomach stappled two and half years ago, and have lost 126 lbs. i have about 15 more to loose fore i get my stomach excess skin taken off. i thought that if i were lucky enough to get my weight off i would over come the pain. not so... just as bad if not worse. i have run out of ideas on how to find out what this is, and how to stop it. i can't exercise. i went to disney land and spent four days on my feet for up to 8 - 10 hours a day. did not help. i took pain pills like i never had. when i got home i had jet lag, and didn't take any pain meds for the week. my muscles on my right side are so tired and sore all the time. i have so many places that the pain is real bad when i touch it, i can't remember what it is called. anyway, this is my sad story, and can anyone else let me know if their pain is the same
  7. tennisgirl25

tennisgirl25 New Member

they sure are sore