HI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stuartgood, May 23, 2006.

1. stuartgood

stuartgood New Member

Hi i'm also new to all this , i've been expirierncing this for a couple of years now, but i'm in the military and the doctors just say , ahh your fine!! when I trully know i'm not. Finally I have an opportunity to get CFS diagnosed as i'm stationed in a place where you use civilian doctors.
    Does anyone have any recomendations on how to find doctors that know about these things? Also do you guys think that this is a dicharging factor? from the military? either way I can't continue hiding this, its time to take action. I am definetly not feeling so great right now, but after 2 1/2 years i just wait for the better days. Anyway i'm glad i found this website, and i'm anxious to meet some people.
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Welcome to the board! I don't really have any good advice for you but I wanted to say hello.

We've all struggled with finding useful docs - it is frustrating. You might want to ask if they treat CFS before you make your appointment.

What are your symptoms? Is it primarily fatigue or do you have other issues going on as well? You can get a lot of useful information here.

Sofi
  3. stuartgood

stuartgood New Member

Wow, someone acutually answered, great, yes my symptoms include an overall sick feeling, kind of sore throat, get really run down, feel like a fever, and my mind gets really nervous, its been going on for about 2 and a half years. The first time it happened was right before i got married, and i related it to stress, but it went away completely for quite a while. I had hiv test done that time because i had no other logical explanation.Doctor found past epstein barr virus (mono). I did a little research and kind self diagnosed myself with CFS since the hiv was negative. With time i have learned several ways to control my symptoms, and they all have to do with doing less. I'm 29 and really really busy, and i constantly use the symptom as an alarm to know i'm doing too much.
    What scares me is when full blown symtoms happen, i still do way too much, but how else, 29, married, coast guard, college, wife and starting a small business?
    I wish this would lead to getting out of the military, that would be a good thing! for me anyways.
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

It should earn you a discharge.

I believe you when you say the military docs said you're ok, but the civilian doc. diagnosed you.

How long did you serve, did you serve during the Gulf war? Just speculating if they avoid acknowledging your symptoms because of their similarity with Gulf War Syndrome,,,or are they in fact the same thing? :)

Anyways, I worked at a homeless shelter for a few years as a Veterans' Coordinator (hired by the shelter, but doing a "Per-Diem Program" paid by the VA). I still contact some people from time to time with iffy questions. Let me know if I can be of any help!

And, welcome to the board.

5. stuartgood

stuartgood New Member

Thanks, no I didn't serve in Iraq, Im actually in the Coast Guard, its agood job, but i have to hide a lot to them and act normal,
    but yes my question would be a medical dicharge? does that include benfits or anything?
    thanks
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board.

I have had CFS for 25 years. My main symptoms are fatigue; sleep problems; brain fog; depression. An antidepressant helps w/ the depression.

At the top of the page is a purple tab labeled "Doctor Referral". Maybe it can help you.

Good luck.
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

Glad you found us here. I know it must be hard having such a physical job and being so tired. Sounds like you have a lot going for you, be careful not to do too much that your body collapses. Try to rest when you can, which sounds like you are always on the go. Welcome. Look forward to talking to you and getting to know you. I am 28, so we are pretty close to the same age.

Kriket
  8. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Here is a site about military benefits.

http://www.military.com/Benefits/0,14972,,00.htm

I assume you have served for 2 years or more, that should make you eligible for benefits.

I could ask an old friend about (CFS related) discharge specifically. It will be thru email and may take a couple of days.

Just curious, did your symptoms start before or during your service?

I have to crash soon, so I'll check in tomorrow.
  9. michella

michella New Member

Look up CFS SSDI Disability on this site and you'll find some very valuable info from Scott E. Davis. The info there can help you correctly go about documenting your condition. If you suffer silently it could be detrimental later if you need to prove you are sick. Some of the basics: You'll need a diagnosis from a doctor (A doctor's diagnosis is much more preferable than any other medical practitioner.) You'll need a documentation from a doctor about your symptoms and the effects those symptoms have on your life. There is lots more advise there. I hope it helps. I have to ask: Did you receive many vaccinations because of your career choice? I became ill after a series of vaccinations. My profile gives more detail about it. Take care.
  10. stuartgood

stuartgood New Member

This place is amazing , thanks everyone for helping me,
    to the person who asked, my symptoms began after I was in the military,
    and I have beeb suffering silently, but I do have some medical documentation in mi military file, of several medical examinations and blood work with nothing found, except past e[stein barr virus.
    Now i'm starting this process with a civilian doctor so hopefully i can get CFS diagnosed, pretending is the worst thing for me,
    And yes I was given many shots in the military! what does that mean??
  11. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I also have CFS, and unfortunately it's really hit or miss as far as doctors are concerned. My advice to you is this: when you call to make an appointment with a new doctor, first ask if they treat CFS and if they believe it's a real disease. Also, ask if they have alot of CFS patients. The more patients they have, the more likely they are to A) truly believe in the disease, and B) be knowledgable about it.

As far as the military is concerned, I'm not sure if it's a discharging factor or not. But you are right, you cannot hide how you are feeling. This disease affects us in so many ways, and you are going to have days where you can hardly get out of bed.

Gentle healing hugs to you, and welcome aboard. Although, I'm sorry that it's under these conditions that we are meeting. But, you have come to the right place. I hope you'll continue to post here often.

Kim
  12. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I know nothing about the service or coast guard, but I was wondering why you feel that you have to hide how you really feel?

I can't imagine trying to hide how you feel with CFS! That alone can cause you to feel more fatigued.

Are you able to be yourself with everything else in your life? I sure hope so.

I feel so badly for you in this situation. I hope the best for you. And thanks for what you are doing for our country. It is soooo appreciated.

Hugs

Jodi