Hiccups are driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellbear, May 7, 2003.

1. kellbear

kellbear New Member

Does anyone else get hiccups frequently. It seems as though I get them everyday and sometimes they are hard to get rid of. I hope this is nothing to be concerned with.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

This is going to sound nuts, but I saw it work..

Put a tiny piece of aluminum foil balled up in a glass of water. Drink the water and watch the 'ball'. Then let me know what happened! (Don't swollow the ball!).

Shalom, Shirl
  3. T-BO

T-BO New Member

hold your breath for as long as you can, preferably about 1 minute. Although towards the end of the breath holding you may feel very faint, this method is typically fool proof (at least in my case).

Hope this helps!

Peace out!

T-BO
  4. Notonline

Notonline New Member

I get them ALOT, but the worse part is if I get them in the morning it seems like the rest of that day is nothing but on and off hiccups for some reason.

Okay here's my list of remedies...I go from one to the other until something works, usually one or the other does the trick.

1. Drink some Ginger ale

2. Eat a spoonful of peanut butter

3. Get a 1/2 tsp of sugar and hold the sugar under your tougue and let it disolve. (Works on occasion)

4. Hold your breath and slowly, gently, bite your knuckles one by one over and over until you can't hold your breath anymore. (Don't laugh, it really does work)

5. And then there's always the old breath into the paper bag trick

I'm writing the foil ball thing down too Shirl...somedays I hiccup so bad my ribs ache horribly...anything that might work is a blessing.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2003]
  5. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Believe it or not, Hiccups are a form of Myoclonus (jerking). I posted about it last week or so.

Just thought you'd like to know that,
    Lane
  6. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

That's exactly what I do! I take a deep breath then count to 100 or until I explode. It really does help.

Lane
  7. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Don't laugh, this works!

Fill a glass half way with water. Place a paper napkin (folded the way it comes out of the bag) over the top of the glass. Holding the napkin in place, take teeny tiny sips of water from the glass THROUGH THE NAPKIN all the way around the glass rim. Take sips just barely enough to swallow, the smallest you can. Rotate the glass to the next dry space on the napkin and sip again. Do this all the way around the rim.

Actually but the time you've takes 3 or 4 sips I bet your hiccups will be gone!!

Don't mean to make light of your problem. I only get them occasionally and they sure are annoying. If you get them constantly, it gets MORE than annoying. I feel bad for you! Hope this helps...it's worth a shot.
  8. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Never heard of myoclonus until now. My father's mother (grandmother) has hiccups very frequently, as did my father (he also had problems with his hands shaking...from what I was reading that might be related???), I've always gotten hiccups alot, they can sometimes last almost all day on and off and are hard to get rid of. My son is 4, and is following suite. I guess it's a family trait. But it sure is horrible when you have to talk on the phone! LOL.

9. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

I get them once in awhile, and actually (though it's kind of disgusting in my opinion) eating a spoonful of sugar actually does get rid of them most of the time...and if not after the first spoonful, the second pretty much always works....I don't really let it dissolve, just kinda swallow it as fast as I can, and so far, it honestly has worked for me and for everyone I've suggested it to!
  10. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

If your not diabetic, then 3 teaspoons of sugar is the foolproof method. What happens is that the stomach has to stop spasoming in order to start digesting the sugar.
    Hope you're hiccup free soon.
    Robyn.
  11. kalina

kalina New Member

I can't detect a pattern, but I can go a long time without getting them, and then all of a sudden I'm getting them up to 12 times a day, every day. They even wake me (and my husband) in the middle of the night! This usually goes on for several weeks, and then they go away for a while. It absolutely drives me up the wall. I've tried lots of those hiccup cures, but nothing really helps.

Hmmm... myoclonus? I've never heard of it, but I'll check it out.

Kalina