Hiccups......Update at bottom of thread

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Nov 1, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I have been getting hiccups a whole lot lately, what the heck is this???

Another lovely symptom to deal with??

Jaci
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2002]
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I have been getting hiccups a whole lot lately, what the heck is this???

Another lovely symptom to deal with??

Jaci
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2002]
  3. lindasue

lindasue New Member

Jaci,
    Now I know this may sound VERY strange..but about a year ago I started getting the hiccups in my sleep!!! YES, they would wake me up...and sometimes wake up hubby as well.
    I get them during the day at times and have really wondered why I seem to be getting them....It's not indigestion...they just seem to start for no reason, and they don't last too long. But I've been really curious about them and thought I'd sound really nuts if I brought up the subject to my dr. or anyone, even here....So thanks for the post!!
    Love,
    Linda Sue
  4. allhart

allhart New Member

i get them to and also in my sleep,strange huh,
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

gets the hiccups when she takes pain medications. Could this be related??

Dara
  6. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

We'll see if we can figure this one out, could be the pain meds or possibly the muscle relaxers, I will post what I find.

I was hoping that there was an easy explanation. Darn it!

Jaci
  7. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

I was getting the hiccups 2-3 times a day and it was caused by my throat muscles tightening. I was swallowing a lot of air. I get a sore throat/tight throat muscles at the start of a flare.
    Is this what happens to you?
    ~Gina
  8. lease79

lease79 New Member

getting them quite a bit since my last flare up. Up to a couple of times a day :(
    I'm not on any meds at all as I am 4 months pregnant, but as they can be a neurological symptom I chalked them up to being something strange to do with cfs/fms.
    Any insight on this would be great ;)

Lease
  9. dlizard

dlizard New Member

alot* LOL>>>>> its an involuntary muscle spasm of the diaphragm. Jaci, you ever get the rib cramping too? I've always felt the two of these were conected.... There is a drug for intractable hiccoughs... its called thorazine, an old old MAJOR TRANQUILZER.... it makes you totally limp! you couldn't hiccough if you wanted too!!!!!! I wouldn't recommend it though,,,,, if you've ever seen old patients at a state mental health facility, chances are they are on thorazine..... LOL>>>>> they have what I call a "special walk",,,, very very s l o w...... head d o w n...... slurred speech.... etc. soooo I'd try a spoon full of sugar and lots o deep breathing!!!!!!! Good luck!
  10. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

The advice given here is good, the touching of the uvula thingy whatever that is at the back of throat is probably the best bet, (sounds nasty doesn't it???) anyway, what I can figure from looking in several sources is that it is related to our twitching, jerking, it is referred to as a tic in some people, esp people with nervous system/neurologial problems, that would be us.

It also can be an indicator in kidney failure, tumors of throat, chest, esophagus, etc but the nerve thing sounds much more applicable to all of us.

Jaci
  11. monom

monom Member

In 86 after being diagnosed with Mono and then CFIDS,A year
    later I developed hiccups lasted 2 weeks continusely with
    several medications to stop it, after 4 days I could not eat
    right,It was very tough.I hope this is not a part of this DD,I think has something to do with stomach and CNS,just a thought.

Thank you