hida scan for gallbladder???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ruby711, Dec 14, 2005.

1. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

I think I am having gallbladder problems with episodes of severe nausea and inability to eat. I can be up for many hours during the night when they occur. I am suppose to have a hida scan next week and am wondering if the radioactive iv solution and hormone solution are harmful.Any info about this test is appreciated. My Ultrasound did not show stones but I think my gallbladder may be inflamed or have other problems.
    ruby
  2. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

My understanding is that this is a perfectly safe test. My dad is no longer with us but years back he had a HIDA scan and there was no problem. (He died from Heart trouble).
  3. ruby711

ruby711 New Member

Thank you for your replies. I did schedule the test, and I am looking forward to resolving this problem. I am very sensitive to meds and I had a hysterectomy last year so I hate to go thru another surgery. At the same time I can't go thru all this extreme discomfort.
    ruby
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Ruby:
    I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your testing. You got such good feedback. It sounds like you don't have anything to worry about.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  5. LBH895

LBH895 New Member

This is a procedure in which a dye is injected into your vein and pictures are taken to see how your gallbladder functions. It could be sluggish and this is the cause of your symptoms,or you could have a blockage in the bile duct. Just because there are no stones on the ultrasound does not mean there is not some type of a problem. You know, they can remove the gallbladder now with laproscopic surgery and you go home the same day. Piece of cake! Good luck.
  6. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

It was painless and easy, the only thing was that you had to lay on the table for almost 2 hours and you had to be still. I did get a break in the middle to go to the bathroom though :)