High altitudes versus low altitudes for FMS/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fight4acure, Jan 26, 2010.

1. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I wonder if high altitudes help with FMS/CFS pain and fatigue, or do low altitudes help? Or do neither?

Personally, I'm trying to determine if I want to be a foot-hiller, or a flatlander, lol... depending on how the altitudes might or might not help with FMS/CFS.

Please give me your take. I'll have to find out on my own, but I am curious to know what others feel like, before I plan on going to find out a few days or a month from now, depending on how my body feels, and if I'm ready to travel, if I got my plans all set first.

What's your take?

Fight :)

PITATOO Member

I feel much better at a higher altitude but wear out and get run down faster, less oxygen. I know I feel better becuase of the lower humidity. Give me a low humidity, high altitude 7K ft, 70 degress and sunny and I am in heaven. Then I would come home to my home in Michigan or in Ohio near lake Erie and feel awful. I really felt bad in Lousiana last winter where I spent two months. I had a very relaxing time but was in more pain, but had nothing to do but be waited on and enjoy the warmth so I put up with the extra pain. Can't get much lower alt. than Houma, LA... I know that barametric pressure, humidity, altitude play a big role in FMS/CFIDS and general well being.
  3. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

living in the Foothills such as Tennessee if weather patterns change throughout the day such as Rain cooler to warmer if this effects a persons pain/fatigue?

Wondering if High altitudes have fast changing weather patterns ?

FOYBOYFOY New Member

5. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Yes, I was wondering this because some cannot stand the high altitude, but when I traveled through the Smoky Mountains, the main things hurting at the time (in 2001 when I was sore, but not as sore as I am today) was my jaw and ears, and that was relieved quickly, and I felt a little less pain I think! I don't remember if I was tired from driving so much in one day, or from the FMS/CFS.

I heard on this site someone saying that high altitudes make them ill.

Have you ever been on a plane? I did before I got ill, and got to co-pilot it, on a two engine small hanger plane, I think is what they call it.... It was the only plane ride I have been on, and it felt wonderful, but I wasn't ill at the time.

It is good to know it helps you out!

6. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I wonder this too, and now I'm wondering if being on an airplane helps some with FMS/CFS or does the opposite with high altitudes....

7. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I'm glad you are doing a trial deal to find out what is best for you!!! :)

Please let us know how it affects you! It's hard enough to travel with FMS/CFS for most of us to find out, or visit.

8. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

LOL, I love how everyone is telling me to move to Nevada or AZ, lol! Maybe someday I'll have a vacation resort there that I can visit during the winter times, lol.

FL sounds really nasty for the east coast! And, personally, even though FL is so gorgeous, it does have hurricanes, tornados, tropical storms, and wild fires. All of which scare me. I can deal with just one, that's the tornados, because they're often hit and miss.

Well, I did put him in his place, but felt like crap for acting like him to get him to shut up with the mean comments. I was so furiated! Every time though I talk to him on the phone, and talk about TN, he gets silent now, not knowing how to convince me otherwise. Maybe his silence is a way to try to see if I'm just trying to get his attention and not really being serious... but I'm going to keep on telling him until he gets it that I am moving.

Thank God I don't live with him!

9. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

I still can remember way way back many years ago i went to Beautiful Colorado.
    Went to the top of Pikes Peak 14,110 feet. i had to have oxygen when i reached the top although i don't think this is uncommon cause they had the oxygen available for tourists.
    So i know i wasn't the only one that needed the oxygen.

If i remember right, there was no humidity in the Colorado Springs area and all was so Beautiful. Today, many years later i doubt i could tolerate the winter cold snow and all.

I think Tennessee just may be the right place for you since your looking for warmth and Country Music Land. Follow your Dreams
  10. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I remember my parents taking me to the top of the hills in Colorado, and in the middle of the summer, I said, "Hey look! It's *nowing! and it's Summer!!!!!" I was so young and didn't understand it, lol.

Yes, the mountains can make one sleepy and light-headed, or needing oxygen.

As far as I can remember, I've always created my own songs, without an instrument, but just my lyrics and singing them, at the same time. I can come up with songs at the drop of a hat. Not that they're any good. It is the performer who makes them famous, is what will always be true!

I am having a hard time deciding on where to move to in TN. I love Memphis, the birthplace of Rock and Roll, the home of Elvis, the home of my ultimate favorite singer/songwriter: Roy Orbison!!! I just love all kinds of music, not just country. But for some reason, country seems to be much easier for me to write. I've written a few jazzy songs, a few blues songs... and when I call them songs, it is because I have music to it, but that music is usually my voice, and sometimes a few piano notes to get the melody down. And, usually I write these songs in under five minutes.

That said, they're never perfect enough, and I must edit them until I'm satisfied, but I get so side-tracked with more songs and lyrics that come flowing in my brain. Most of my songs though are country, for some odd reason. I say odd because while I loved country as a kid, when I was a teenager up until I was 26, I wasn't so fond of the newer country. Now I can't get enough of it!

You said the "S" word, lol. Yes, I cannot tollerate cold and *now anymore. Not that TN doesn't get it, but it disappears, usually, as the sun comes up, lol, or at least I'll be so into the music that I won't have time to look outside when it is cold. At least the heat & electric bills won't be $300, as it is here in the winter... and that's a conservative amount, being that I've been freezing in this house!

What did you like most about Colorado, other than the nice scenery?

Well, time for bed. I'm finally pooped and my nerves about all of this have finally settled after listening to some music on youtube.