high blood pressure and prob. w/bp meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mimmic, Apr 13, 2009.

1. mimmic

mimmic Member

a little info-housebound 20+yrs-age 61- hbp started 10yrs ago-taking norvasc-ok w/this one. 3yrs ago doc tried effexor-caused severe heart palps-then gave me toprol to help that-then took me off effexor -other side effects. kept me on toprol . all that time thought cfs was worse but symptoms were from toprol-worse fatigue,pain all over, chest and back pain bad,stomach probs.-didnt know until i was taken off because it was unavailable. have since tried benicar-lifeless and weak on 5mg. that makes 5th one i have tried over the years. back on 1/4 toprol -25mg. still have pain all over i know lots of us are sensitive to meds. anyone have any info on your own hbp probs. cant exercise to help -very sedentery w/cfs. thanks for any replies. carolyn
  2. pacotaco

pacotaco New Member

HI CAROLYN, I HAVE VERY VERY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. I STOPPED ALL SALT, SUGAR ,WHITE BREAD, SODA IS DIET SEVEN UP ONLY, THEN I USE ONLY A WATER PILL. I USED TO USE THREE DIFFERENT MEDS FOR THE BLOOD PRESSURE, BUT DIDN'T LIKE THEM SO NOW I USE JUST THE ONE. IT IS THE ONLY ONE I NEED NOW. IT IS CALLED HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE AND ITS ONLY 25MGS AND ITS GREAT AS U CAN GET. ASK YOUR DOC FOR INFO ON IF IT WOULD BE GOOD FOR YOU! HOPE I HELPED YA...
  3. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

My bp meds seem a delicate balance but is working. At 65 I have been on various ones since about age 51.

I take Norvasc, cozaar and atenolol 100 mg at night and 50 mg in am. This means having NO pvc at all, and bp is very stable, along with an occasional valium.

I believe I gave you generic names, if you google them you will find the original drug and probably other generic names.

I also have an ulcer and take nexium for that.

As I said, it takes time and experimenting to balance things out but doctors want that bp under control and are willing to work with you. There are also a lot of variations of things for them to try. My husband takes topral which did nothing for me but aggravate my stomach.

Somehow I have much better luck with very old drugs.... and of course physicians push the newer ones.
  4. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I use irbesartan (generic name). It works very well for me. No problems at all.
  5. mimmic

mimmic Member

Has anyone tried more than 1 drug in each class-say -beta blocker and if that caused side effects given a different beta blocker and had success? i have always been changed to another class and have been through 5 classes -which i think is all there is. carolyn