High blood pressure tx HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quanked, Jan 13, 2009.

1. quanked

quanked Member

I am seeking ideas/input on supplements for High bp. A few weeks ago my bp was 190/112 (not sure about the bottom number). I was at my dr.'s office. I was there all afternoon until the numbers started coming down. She gave me a pill twice which I cannot remember the name of. They did not work. Then I was given bystolic. My numbers started to fall and I was allowed to go home. Within a day or so I began having difficult breathing. I stopped the bystolic. At that time I was taking Diovan along with HCTZ which apparently was not working well. After seeing the dr. I went back to taking verapamil 2x d., the water pill and bystolic once a day. Then I stopped the bystolic and my numbers were still high but not as high as 190. Then she put me on zestril along with the verapamil and hctz.

The warnings that came with the zestril did not mention problems with coughing. So when I began coughing I thought it was something else. My coughing became worse so I did an online search and sure enough coughing was a side effect, the most common one. I spent last night into the late morning coughing. I stopped zestril. In just 24 hours the coughing has greatly diminished.

With verapamil I developed lichen planus in my mouth. I have had it for a couple of years now. When I stopped the verapamil and tried the diovan the lichen planus calmed down so much I hardly noticed it at all. Lichen planus is very painful when it is flaring and uncomfortable when it is not. In a flare I have blisters/sores over portions of my tongue (when it is bad it is on both sides) and various surfaces in my mouth. I can no longer eat hot spicy food which I love.

Now I am faced with another dr.'s visit and more drugs. I was hoping that some of you on this board might have some suggestions about supplements. I do not have the kind of bp that will go away if I loose weight or change my diet, etc. I have been told by several drs that it is with me til my death.

The dr. ordered an mri for me after the episode at her office. I do not have any blockages or narrowing in my arteries. I was frightened by my blood pressure numbers and cannot figure out why my bp has suddenly become a big issue. I have been on tenormin and lopressor and others.

I look forward to reading any and all responses. Thanks
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My husband has been on BP meds for about 15 years. It took a long time to find out the right combination of drugs to bring his BP back to normal. It is very common to have to take several meds to control it. I know that doesn't sound very nice, but there are so many of them out there.

My husband has stress induced high BP along with another form that was caused by a kidney disease he had as a child. The first pill the Dr. put him on caused awful coughing. He is now on two drugs which have brought his BP down well below normal (115/70). My mother-in-law is on 3 pills and they still don't have the right combination yet.

I'm afraid I've yet to hear of any natural supplement that's been of any great help. You might want to ask your doctor about wearing a BP monitor for 24 hours. At least they can accurately check your results over a period of time.

I wish you the best,

3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Since Nitric Oxide relaxes blood vessels, I am guessing that L-Arginine, will work to reduce blood pressure, by increasing Nitric Oxide. Arginine is an Amino Acid, which is simply a building block of protein. You would have to be sure and find a Sustained Release version, in order to get sustained benefits. Regular Arginine would wear off too quickly.

Don't know if this will actually work, but my logic tells me it should.
  4. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Get your thryoid checked. Not just TSH but T3 and T4. I say this because many years ago, I went off my Armour thyroid. My B/P shot up to 170/120. I felt like my head was going to explode, couldn't sleep, and the thumping in my head drove me insane.

Once I went back on my thyroid meds, Viola! My B/P dropped almost back to normal. I'm on a small dose of the beta blocker atenelol now. It's much cheaper than Toporol. There is a HUGE connection between thryoid and blood pressure.

During that awful month, I tried about 8 different thryoid meds. They were about to declare it uncontrollable and stick me in the hospital. Of course, they said going off my thryoid pills had nothing to do with it!

I've found a forward thinking endocrinologist can be OK but the most help I've gotten is from holistic docs that work with B-HRT. Try checking for a "Top thyroid doc" in your state on the website of the same name. Good luck to you!
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I would be very very careful of using supplements to control high blood pressure.

It does take some adjustments of meds. which if frustrating.

However, since we do not know how much of a substance is in any spupplements, why take a chance with your health.

Stick with your medical doctor.

I know of someone who was going to an alternative doc, using supplements to control her blood pressure, the alternative doctor did not even realize the signs of what was going on and she had several aneuyisms. These are life threatening.

This is your choice but the supplemental industry is not regulated. There is no standard dosage to prevent high blood pressure that is backed by any science.

Supplements are also drugs.

Take care. I don't mean to scare you but catching this in time may have been a blessing.

6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I don't know about any supplements but I have been taking a low dose of Lisinopril for many years now with absolutely no side effects and I take many many other medications. So you might want to ask about that one.
  7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I agree w/Gapsych. If you can find a supplement that works for you- Fantastic, but I would always doublecheck w/my doctor to make sure it won't do any harm.

I have asked my Dr. about certain supplements and she is all for them - however she warned - you CAN have too much of things and 'all natural' doesn't mean much. Opium is natural.

My co-worker handed me an 'energy' pill yesterday. I didn't take it - he gave me that old 'it's natural" schpeel. That doesn't mean anything to me. I still want to know what it is, it can still be harmful to me -may have an interaction with what I am taking etc. So just be careful.

I know I'm not being helpful to your plight. It must be scary to have high blood pressure episodes like you did! I know my Mom has had high blood pressure for many many years (I'm sure my day is coming!), she take hydrochlorathyazide as well. She also takes a 'water' pill, has to watch her salt intake etc.

I hope and pray that you can get this under control!
  8. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Sorry to hear you are struggling so with your BP.

I'm curious -- what did your docs leave you to believe is the root cause of your struggles with BP?

And what part of your body did they do the MRI on? Any results yet? Was the MRI simply to detect artery blockages?

Do you have any other symptoms related or not to the high BP?

Quanked, there ARE a few effective supps out there for milder BP problems. However, I would be loathe to recommend anything to you to try on your own. You must work with your doc if you add supps to your regimen.

You are well-advised to continue working with your doctors to both control the problem, as well as to come to grips with the cause. While there are are numerous potential causes of elevated BP, too many docs act as if the only known cause of high blood pressure was 'deficiency of BP-lowering drugs.' I do NOT say this to discourage you from taking your meds -- you should take them.

However, knowing & understanding the cause of your elevated BP is an extremely important strategy in developing control of the condition. Your statement, "it's not something that will go away if I lose weight or change my diet," suggests to me that your doc must have some idea of the root cause. Or else, is trying to bring home the fact that he/she thinks you will always need meds.

Even in cases where cause of high BP is "fixed," -- in the sense of something that is not going to change -- say end-stage kidney failure, there usually are lifestyle modifications in terms of diet, stress reduction, etc. that CAN have an effect on the severity of the hypertension. That is to say, there's almost ALWAYS a way to improve the situation. For example, if you were able to, say, achieve some level of BP reduction through lifestyle modification, it might mean a lower dose of meds, or fewer meds.

If I were you, I'd ask doc directly, "Is there anything I can do in terms of lifestyle modification to help my BP?" -- and if the answer is NO, I'd follow up with : Why Not???

Perhaps the best route to take, if you are interested in the possibility of supplements to help reduce your BP, is to find both a Naturopathic doctor who will work with together with you & your prescribing doc on this problem. Three-way communication would be absolutely essential.

Best wishes.

[This Message was Edited on 01/17/2009]
  9. tony233

tony233 New Member

If you are overweight, lose weight and your blood pressure will come down. I use Inderal, long acting, the generic version.
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Hi, Yes I believe that lifestyle modifications can not only help with BP but our health in general.

However, sometimes there is no root cause other than it is the way our bodies are made. We may have inherited genes that predispose us to certain type of conditions.

I had high cholesterol even when I weighed 100 pounds. I have always eaten well. It is inherited.

While I do not want to use this as an excuse for eating anything I want and not worry as I can just pop a pill, does this mean I should not take my BP meds. and wait around until gene therapy is an accepted practice? I don't think so.

The BP meds will often reduce BP dramatically and combined with lifestyle changes it can even be reduced more. However lifestyle changes along will not do it for everyone who has high blood pressure. The medication saves lives.

I guess I do not understand why it is okay to take supplements, as high BP is not a supplemental deficiency but not prescribed meds. Assuming the supplements work, isn't that the same thing?

Not everything can be "fixed" and I would hesitate to use this line of reasoning for fear someone might go off their BP medications. Like our DD sometimes only the symptoms can be treated. Treating those symptoms may help with the quality of life.

Food for thought.

[This Message was Edited on 01/17/2009]
  11. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I have edited my message to clarify by what I meant by "fixed". I meant it in the sense of unremitting disease process, or genetic givens -- like the familial hypercholesterolemia you mention.

I did not intend the meaning of the word "fixed" in the sense that you understood it. But I am grateful that you pointed it out to me, because likely others would have understood it the same way.

I really don't think we are very far apart in our thinking on this issue. If you read my entire post, I never did suggest that lifestyle modifications would do it all. Nor did I suggest that Q. go off of her meds. Quite the opposite.

I do agree with you, that for some people, BP meds are lifesaving. I also agree with you that some people will always need to take BP meds.

I suppose my main point was, that with lifestyle modifications, ... sometimes ... people can, in working with their physicians, reduce dosages, or reduce numbers of meds taken for a condition. I have seen this happen among my own family & friends numerous times.

The other strong aspect of my point was -- to work with the healthcare provider on this, if it is desired to be attempted.

Thanks again for pointing out my lack of clarity.

Best wishes.
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think I now have a clearer picture of what you are saying.

It can be difficult using the format of the written word to get our points across. We have all written posts where everyone interprets it differently.

Then with this DD and the fog, I know I have written posts that seem perfectly clear to me, only to go back later and think what in the world was I saying.

So it may have also been my interpretation and I think you are right that we really are more in agreement.

My sister lost, I think 70 pounds, over a two year period and one of the motivators was the fact that her BP was high. It is now fine.

I have been fortunate enough to have doctors who communicate with each other which I sometimes forget is not practiced as much as it should be to get the whole picture.

Prevention is also key for a lot of conditions.

Take care.
  13. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

I'm overweight and I've taken blood pressure meds for a number of years. Those numbers are high and I have been in the same boat. I was on 3 different kinds of pills when mine was that high, now only blood pressure pill and beta blocker. You don't want to have a stroke of heart attack. I was also completely stressed out when I had those numbers. So be good to yourself, don't give up and try to calm down. I'll be with everyone else in trying to get some pounds off this year. I hope you feel better and don't get discouraged.