high blood pressure

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ckk, Sep 19, 2005.

1. ckk

ckk New Member

well, went to my doctor today, just for a check up for bronchitis and i have high blood pressure again, so they are watching it, they asked if i was interested in quiting smoking. i said yes. sooooooo, here we go. i have to quit. i gotta be honest guys, i am really scared. i mean this is my lifeline. i get mad, i smoke, i get upset, i smoke, you get the idea, i have been doing it for 17 years! i dont know if i can do it. i am not sure if i want to quit 100%, ya know? i mean i know i should for my health and my children and all around i just dont know if i can. i just lost a bunch of weight and i am scared i will gain it all back! well, she gave me a prescription and i start on it tomorrow so here it goes..........
    ckk
  2. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

experience with quitting but if you need to vent, we're here to listen. This is the most important thing you could do.
  3. ckk

ckk New Member

thank u for your support, i have a very strong feeling i am going to need lots of it! i really appreciate it.
    ckk
  4. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I stopped smoking about 11 years ago after I started having some bronchial asthma type problems. I tried several times before finally "doing it." There are so many factors tied to smoking that you have to unravel what seems to be a messed up ball of yarn. What really helped me was a book that I got that was an "elimination" process. I tried to think of the name of that darned book the other day and couldn't! The medication that the doctor's prescribing should help you. That along with the following should help you be successful.

The process works by gradually stopping things that are emotionally / habitually tied to smoking. The way it worked, as I recall, was:

Start a diary and sit down at a regular time of day, every day, to record what you have gone through, what helped you, etc. It's better, I found, to do this at night.

First Week: Stop sugar. This means consciously stopping sugar in every product that you consume, including natural sugars (honey, etc). Look at labels, none in the spaghetti sauce, etc., etc. Maintain abstinence.

Review your diary and see how you have been doing. See where the areas are that are more difficult. See what times of the day are more difficult. This will help you to be more aware of your habits and help you to develop better coping mechanisms.

Second Week: Stop coffee / tea (all caffeine products). This means consciously stopping caffeine in every product that you consume. Look at labels. Maintain abstinence. You should be not taking sugar or caffeine at this point.

Review your diary and see how you have been doing. See where the areas are that are more difficult. See what times of the day are more difficult. This will help you to be more aware of your habits and help you to develop better coping mechanisms.

Third Week: Stop alcohol. This means consciously stopping caffeine in every product that you consume. Look at labels. Maintain abstinence with coffee. You should be not taking sugar, caffeine, or alcohol at this point.

Fourth Week: Continue abstinence with sugar, caffeine, and alcohol.

Fifth Week: Stop tobacco, and continue with abstinence of sugar, caffeine, and alcohol. If you need to have something in your mouth, get a Popsicle stick or a wooden stick about the size of a cigarette and suck / chew on that.

Sixth Week: continue with abstinence of sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco.

Seventh Week: continue with abstinence of caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco. You may add one item of sugar each day this week if you would like.

Eighth Week: continue with abstinence of alcohol and tobacco. You may add one item of sugar and have one cup of coffee each day this week if you would like.

Ninth Week: continue with abstinence of tobacco. You may add one item of sugar, have one cup of coffee each day, and have no more than one serving of alcohol this week if you would like. Alcohol and caffeine have stronger bond to tobacco, it may be that you will need to not take any caffeine products or alcohol product at this time if the urge to have a cigarette is too strong.

Add in smaller amounts of all items that were eliminated and try to not drink over 2 cups of coffee per day, and no more than 2 drinks of alcohol per week from this time on. Be sure to maintain a diary through the 12th week. It's important for you to know what helps you.

Most importantly, if you find yourself stopping to buy a pack and smoking, don't get mad at yourself. You can restart each day. I did this during the time I was stopping. The first time, I stopped and bout a whole pack and smoked 1/2 before I got home (knew my husband would be mad). I felt like a little kid! The second time, I stopped and bout a single cigarette and smoked it as fast as I could. After I smoked it, I didn't even like it.

You will always find that you have cravings, I still do 11 years later. However, now my hair, clothes, home, car, etc., etc. doesn't smell like an old ashtray (yes, you'll find that is exactly what these items smell like to a non-smoker). Also, I can breathe. That's the most important thing - health, mine.

Warm wishes, Jeannette