high bp with anxiety and FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jewelz, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Jewelz

Jewelz New Member

Last night was the first night I have had a anxiety attack that through my bp higher then its ever been in a long time. My pain with FM causes my bp to be elevated as it is. I am on Catapress (doctors changed my med "atenolol" finally) and I was so SHOCKED that this medicine did not take care of it. I was half tempted to take another one ontop of it, but found out its dangerous. I can't seem to find even a anxiety med to help with it.. My bp was 179/137.. P. 145... any suggestions?

Regards,
    Misty
  2. Jewelz

Jewelz New Member

Last night was the first night I have had a anxiety attack that through my bp higher then its ever been in a long time. My pain with FM causes my bp to be elevated as it is. I am on Catapress (doctors changed my med "atenolol" finally) and I was so SHOCKED that this medicine did not take care of it. I was half tempted to take another one ontop of it, but found out its dangerous. I can't seem to find even a anxiety med to help with it.. My bp was 179/137.. P. 145... any suggestions?

Regards,
    Misty
  3. anne354

anne354 New Member

But have you asked your doc about meds such as Klonopin, Ativan, or Xanex(watch this one; I hear it could be a might addictive for some)? He/she should be able to prescribe something for you that won't interact badly with your bp meds but does give you some relief from the anxiety. Best wishes...let me know how it turns out.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2002]
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

An anxiety attack WILL cause your bp to go up. Just follow the steps that will stop the attack and your bp will go back to normal. Be sure to breathe in deeply with your NOSE and stomach, not your chest. Do this several times, slowly, and it will greatly alleviate the anxiety. When you exhale, do it slowly through pursed lips, like you're whistling. All that wonderful oxygen filling your entire lungs and going through your body will relax you quickly!

Marilyn :)
  5. Roxi

Roxi New Member

My last anxiety attack my BP was 190/100.
    That got their attention because I flipped the same BP last one too! Nothing I do can stop it but it seems to go away sooner with Xanax and bed rest. It's a living hell when you feel it coming and know there goes the day! But take a pill and go to bed and this too shall pass. Best advice is to avoid all stress. Even little things like noise build up, pile up until the tower falls over. Right now you're on overload and really need to cut back on any stress. And get those pills from your doctor! We almost all get this at some point in our DD so the doctor should think nothing of giving you this medication.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It not only has gotten rid of the anxiety/panic attacks, it help me get 8 hours of restful sleep and has greatly reduced my sensory overload.

I've lowered my BP through diet. Within 8 days of going on a very low-carb diet, my BP went from high/normal to low/normal.

Love, Mikie
  7. Jewelz

Jewelz New Member

When I get the appointment with the doctor to change my anxiety meds around. Im hoping the phone call will be soon for the appointment! I do notice that this morning when I woke up it was 160/98 which isnt to bad at all. I just cant understand why the top number is so high. I havent had hardly any salt/fatty food intake. Isnt that what the top number usually represents? I know the bottom is the pressure in the arteries.. "If I can recall"..

Regards,

Misty

8. dbsunde

dbsunde New Member

You need to check this Web Site out

Listen right NOW to the BEST online audio presentation available detailing how to get lasting relief from Health issues Cancer, Fibro, CFS, as well as all Weather Related Allergies without drugs or surgery.

It is FREE

Go to: http://www.myseasilver.com/greatlife/donigan/

Dave