High Calcium could cause your fibro symptoms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by olivian, Apr 24, 2007.

1. olivian

olivian New Member

Hi folks...was diagnosed with fibro and had all the awful symptoms for years and years. A routine blood test showed a high calcium level which is caused by hyperparathyroidism...ususally a benign adenoma of the parathyroid glands.

Checked into this....had the new outpatient mininmally invasive minisurgery to remove the adenoma and am completely cured.

Many things may cause fibro symptoms, but if you have it at least get your blood calcium levels checked to rule it out. I am beginnning to suspect it is one of the big causes behind this disease.

The symptoms are almost identical. Check out high calcium, symptoms and diagnosis at parathyroid.com.
    May you be as lucky as I was!
  2. Elisa

Elisa Member

Thank you for your kindness and sharing this with all of us. It is rare we hear of someone who finds a cause and is cured. What an incredible blessing...and now you are spreading the word - which is great. I sure hope it helps someone...

Elisabeth

3. tandy

tandy New Member

this back up top :)
  4. olivian

olivian New Member

Thanks for your kind words Elisa. that is exactly what I am trying to do. I was sick for over 10 years with the fibro symptoms and there isn't much I haven't tried :)

I had high calcium for years too but didn't realize how serious it is and that it can cause the exact same symptoms. My doctor didn't think it was parathyroid disease either because I didn't also have a high pth (parathyroid hormone level) As it turns out it is usual to have high pth too....but not always!

I started researching high calcium on the web and found the educational site by dr norman on parathyroid disease....(his site has nothing to do with fibromyalgia.)This is where i found one didn't always have to have a high pth level with this disease. In fact high calcium alone pretty much tells the tale.

So if you have had high calcium levels, kidney stones, palpitations, chronic fatigue etc it would certainly be worthwhile to look into parathyroid.com. and most certainly ask your doc to check your calcium levels.

Many doctors even endocrinologists are not aware of some of these latest findings on parathyroid disease and it is way underdiagnosed.

Hope this helps. My heart goes out to all of your suffering with this and I am determined to let people know that it could possibly be parathyroid disease and to please check it out. Best to all.
  5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

I have had a parathyroidectomy because of hyperparathyroidism. My calcium and parathyroid hormone levels have now been normal for 3 years, but I still have fibromyalgia and CFS.
  6. Scapper

Scapper New Member

So happy to hear that they found this problem!

The problem isn't "actually" calcium, it's that you need your parathyroid's functioning properly to "absorb" your calcium. Unless this was what you were saying but I misinterpreted your "title."

So the real root is the parathyroid glands. The calcium was just the indicator that something was wrong with the para's -- happy your doctor's knew enough to check "the source" instead of telling you to just stop calcium.

Happy healing :)

scapper

7. Evadyl

Evadyl New Member

I was told my intracellular calcium levels were high and was just wondering if anyone could tell me their reading so I could compare it to mine...when I can root out the lab result.

Thanks

Love Evadyl x
  8. olivian

olivian New Member

bluebottle...that is interesting but a little depressing too. did the surgery help any symptoms?
  9. olivian

olivian New Member

yes scrapper...perhaps my title wasn't clear. It's just that the symptoms of both high calcium caused by parathyroid disease and fibro symptoms are so alike. too much parathyroid hormone raises the calcium levels. right?