High Dose Valtrex quesion annxyz or anyone familiar with protoc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by foxglove9922, Jan 23, 2007.

1. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

I know some CFS sufferers have achieved a better quality of living by taking high doses of Valtrex.

I have an overload of EBV, CMV, ParvoB19, HHV6 and recurrent shingles.

Exactly was dosage is considered high dose Valtrex and for how long did you take it? Did you have to start low say 500 mg and work up? I herx like the devil on Valtrex but never on Famvir,,,,go figure.

I was on Famvir for over 6 months due to recurrent shingles and really saw no significant improvement other than I didn't have shingles during that time period.

I have also resolved 2 mycoplasma infections with prolonged antibiotic therapy,,,,,,2 weeks Flagyl, 3 months Minocin and 1 1/2 years of Doxy.

I'm trying to set myself up to kill off anything I can before approaching my doc about Valcyte.

Many thanks for any responses.

Foxglove
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Read my post "A Strategic Plan to Getting Truly Well," which I bumped to the top of the board.

My plan is to use Valcyte. I tend to think that Valtrex or Famvir might work with regard to achieving full wellness on their own--apparently many of my doctor's patients have done that. They stay on the Famvir or Valtrex for a long time though--12 to 18 months.

The advantage to using lower doses of the medicine and building up slowly is that you don't wear out the body with herxing, and therefore the body's own immune system has more of a chance to kick in.

The supposed advantage to using really high doses upfront (like Montoya) is that resistant strains can be avoided. If a person herxes though, you can burn out the whole body very quickly this way. (Montoya's patients get very very sick from having a huge amount of killing done at once.)

If that happens, it may be too weak for the natural immune system to kick in and start helping. Even if the drug works well, there are some things that the natural immune system will be able to kill that the drug just can't.

I've not seen or heard of anyone getting truly well through the use of high doses of Famvir or Valtrex, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. It could be that they just didn't stay on the drug long enough.

(The FFC's tend to take people off within 3-6 months. This is very fast.)

My doctor doesn't believe in huge doses of medication at once in most cases, especially if people are herxing severely on it. My Famvir dose is 500 mg, which is equivalent to about 1300 mg of Valtrex.

If I weren't going to move to the Valcyte, he probably would bring it up more. Maybe to 750 mg (which would be 2,000 mg of Valtrex).

A key component in using the slower method is to have your own body working well. If you first do every single thing in the Teitelbaum book, you will have a much better chance of succeeding with either approach.

The things in that book require discipline and are challenging to do, but by and large not harmful. (The doxy is the most risky since it promotes yeast. You definitely should clear your body of yeast before going on antivirals, since relieving that burden will allow your immune system to focus on other more important tasks.)

It's my strong belief that they're a price of entry if you want to get truly well though. And doing them by themselves probably will get you in better shape than if you don't do them but nonetheless succeed as much as you possibly could in that situation with the AV's.

Hope this makes sense. I'll check back.

3. scott14

scott14 New Member

Not to sound too dumb or anything, but I am wondering what "Herxing" means.

My doctor once mentioned Valtrex as a treatment possibility for my CFS. Now I seem to be in a very serious relapse of CFS, and am awaiting lab test results for viral infections, reoccurrence of EBV, etc. If I test positive (e.g., EBV or whatever), I wonder if Valtrex might be called for?

The other reason I ask is that I recently found out that I have had Herpes, probably for a long time (my wife has had it since before we met and never told me until recently). However, I have never demonstrated the usual symptoms of Herpes. Therefore, I also wonder if this virus in me may somehow exacerbate my CFS -- perhaps having other effects on my body / immune system?

Therefore, I also wonder, then, if the Valtrex treatment may be called for even more?

But what is "herxing"?

Thanks
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Read my post called "A strategic plan for getting truly well", which I just bumped to the top of the board.

My doctor thinks the ImmunoSciences CFS panel is more appropriate with regard to assessing need for antivirals than the measurement of specific viruses. The Immunosciences test is detailed in that report. It's a quite new test, and so many doctors don't know about it.

(I wrote another post recently explaining what the four measures on the test mean. I will post that in a separate thread now.)

When you kill pathogens (yeast, viruses, bacteria), your body has a hard time disposing of the dead bodies. You therefore may have negative reactions for a while until your body is done with this task.

Also, the pathogens may become more active when you are trying to kill them, and this also exacerbates symptoms.