HIgh doses Melatonin shuts down pineal gland?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brainfoggy, Jul 14, 2008.

1. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

My sleep is getting worse and I think it has to do with what I'm taking.
    My CFS doc at Holtorf Group Dr. Wayne Whitman is his name, told me that along with the klonopin, taking 3mg of melatonin every 3-4 hours when I wake is ok. So I've been taking 6 mg throughout the night. I feel incredibly groggy in the morning, like my eyes are crossed and all loopy and I'm still not sleeping. I've only been doing this for about a month. Before, I was taking 1.5 per Dr. Teitelbaums book. So when I went to the natural food store this morning to replenish my melatonin I mentioned this to the nutrition expert said this is really scary.I bought something called Herbatonin and it's .3 plant based. Is there anyone who has any knowledge of this? She said my pineal gland be shutting down from too much melatonin????

2. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

taking too much melatonin causes the gland to stop producing. I am sure there are studies to verify that. I have also heard, less is more.

When I first got sick, years ago, I took 3 mg and was wide awake. Then I did some research and switched to 300 mcg that is micrograms and it works just fine.

I would go to walmart and buy the 300mcg and take one for a week. If that is not enough, then take two, etc. Work your way up to what you need to help you sleep.

Our bodies seem to be sensitive to some meds that less is more.

I have never heard of taking melatonin throughout the day. I just take it at night to help reset my circadian rythym.

3. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

For the advice. Apparently the doctor said 6 mg. is safe but I'm gonna try lower as high doses don't help me sleep better. I will try your suggestion at Walmart Marti. I have been filling my scripts there... I haven't bought other supps there...just curious besides the melatonin, what other supps do you get from there that are reasonable in cost?
  4. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I thought Melatonin should be taken before one goes to sleep not during the day. Check out the web sites, and you will see.
  5. place

place New Member

Started to take 1mg, and my symptoms got worse over the course of the week. I stopped taking it and got better.