High Fructose corn syrup & MERCURY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Jan 27, 2009.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

High fructose corn syrup is being linked with other things such as the rise of diabetes... now this. All this contamination of our foods does not help any of us, healthy or not.

No wonder the Corn Refiner's Assoc has started its own PR ads.

Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury
    Half of batches tested positive, third of popular sweetened products showed traces

By Robert Preidt

Monday, January 26, 2009

MONDAY, Jan. 26 (HealthDay News) -- Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies.

HFCS has replaced sugar as the sweetener in many beverages and foods such as breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups and condiments. On average, Americans consume about 12 teaspoons per day of HFCS, but teens and other high consumers can take in 80 percent more HFCS than average.

"Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply," said the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy's Dr. David Wallinga, a co-author of both studies.

In the first study, researchers found detectable levels of mercury in nine of 20 samples of commercial HFCS. The study was published in current issue of Environmental Health.

In the second study, the agriculture group found that nearly one in three of 55 brand-name foods contained mercury. The chemical was most common in HFCS-containing dairy products, dressings and condiments.

The use of mercury-contaminated caustic soda in the production of HFCS is common. The contamination occurs when mercury cells are used to produce caustic soda.

"The bad news is that nobody knows whether or not their soda or snack food contains HFCS made from ingredients like caustic soda contaminated with mercury. The good news is that mercury-free HFCS ingredients exist. Food companies just need a good push to only use those ingredients," Wallinga said.

2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

and methyl mercury is what was found in the HFCS products.

To some extent, as with everything in life, "the dose makes the poison" ... but in general, most medical practitioners understand that mHg is Not a Good Thing for your brain & nervous system.

Yes, the ADA stands by its amalgam fillings, but things are slowly changing in the world of dentistry. If we look outside the borders of the USA, in the EU there is wide scientific and clinical recognition of the dangers of dental mercury. Some countries ban the use of amalgams in children and women of childbearing age.

It's a little known fact that the rate of neurodegenerative disease is higher among dentists than in the general population. While it's possible that factors other than mercury may be complicit in that problem, Hg would stand out as a likely culprit.

Scientific evidence is mounting that many, though perhaps not all, with CFS & fibro, have genetic or other defects that affect the body's normal detoxification processes. So, even if the amts of methylmercury are small in HFCS, the effect on some people may be greater than the effect on other people, due to biochemical & genetic individuality.

The good news is that, unlike many forms of pollution in the air we breathe, it's relatively simple to avoid HFCS. Not if one consumes the SAD (std American Diet), but if you use your common sense, read labels, and follow a sensible whole-foods based diet, exposure to mHg from HFCS can be easily minimized.

Best wishes.

3. victoria

victoria New Member

It took a mothers' organization to sue the FDA to get the thimerusol (sp?) removed from the vaccines... so sad that is what it takes to get anything done.

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Do you actually trust the CDC or the FDA? I know that I don't. They are more concerned with money and with covering for previous mistakes than actually learning the truth about stuff. From what I have read elsewhere, mercury is definitely harmful, and the fact that is in so many things is really scary. You are right, though, about the other sources of it.
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

so true... even worse if you have bermuda grass in your yard. That stuff is worse than any weed(s) I swear, it will puncture 3 layers of landscape 'fabric' meant to smother out weeds. (same here, ask me how I know).

Also if one plants in one's own backyard especially in subdivisions, I'd have the soil tested for heavy metals etc as so much fill is used, and fill dirt can come from anywhere.

I really do think container gardening is the way to go... I'm looking at the hanging upside down tomato containers and figuring out how to make one for starters LOL.

I also do not trust our or any other gov't, period. Sad that we cannot.

I think they need to up the taxes on junk food to subsidize organic produce. I know someone on SSI & welfare, junk food really is cheaper than produce etc... so of course she fills up on it. Which in turn doesn't help her arthritis, diabetes, etc. All those preservatives etc may be necessary for canned/etc, but I think we need to get back to basics on food, etc.

all the best,