HIGH LIVER ENZYME ANYONE???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wen, Aug 21, 2002.

1. wen

wen New Member

DOC INFORMED ME I HAVE HIGH LIVER ENZYME GGT 163 WHAT DOES IT MEAN? ALSO MY IRON IS REAL SCREWED UP.

WEN
  2. wen

wen New Member

DOC INFORMED ME I HAVE HIGH LIVER ENZYME GGT 163 WHAT DOES IT MEAN? ALSO MY IRON IS REAL SCREWED UP.

WEN
  3. j9miller

j9miller New Member

Both my AST(SGOT) and my ALT(SGPT) are elevated. The doc did not seem to concerned though. I am going to make an appointment with an edrocrinologist to check things all out. Hope you get the answers you need.

Janine
  4. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

Some meds are filtered through the liver and some through the kidneys and some through both at various.

Like Tylonol, Advil, Lipitor, Diflucan, certain anti-depressants and many others are filtered through the liver.

Sorry, I don't have examples off the top of my head that are filtered through the kidneys at a high rate.

In addition, certain foods also cause a high liver count especially if ingested recently. Alcohol is one of them. One's liver enzyme count can be artificial high one day if you drank a lot the day before. Or it stays higher is you drink alcohol frequently.

Liver enzyme counts can also flucuate quite a bit. One should always have it checked again within a certain amount of time. I had mine checked within two weeks of each other. It was high one time and just find two week later. It is a VERY sensative test. I would always insist on a follow up test at some point.

Many times a doc will not put you on another med that is filtered through the liver if you count is already high.

That is all I can tell you. Others will add what I don't know.

Hope this begans to help.

Lynda B.
  5. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

I would simply add:
    Our livers are the toxic dump of our bodies!
    And like any toxic dump could use an occasional cleansing/de-tox!
    Please use Milk Thistle Extract! It WILL cleanse the liver and helps assist it in it's function.

My liver shut down, doc wanted me to go to the hospital for a ton of tests/biopsy. I said if I couldn't take care of it with Milk Thistle; I would go. But in just 29 days my tests were all perfect.

I did feel a little crummy for about 3 days; while all the toxins left my body! But it was so worth it!! I have never had a problem since starting it.

Jackie F
  6. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Wen,
    Hello, I'm granmama. I don't believe we have spoken before now,it is nice to meet you.

What do you mean your "iron is all screwed up"?
    Are you anemic (low iron) or is your iron elevated (high ferritin)?

This is an important question!!!
    Please let us know more.
    granmama

7. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

From my own personal experience, please don't let this go, without being rechecked..I am an AIH patient (autoimmune hepatitis)..My enzymes were elevated about 2yrs. ago when I had my yearly routine blood work done, dr. made me come back in a few weeks, they were higher yet..Was then sent for ultra sound of liver - it showed that my liver was "not right", but ultra sound did not tell for sure, what it was..Just abnormal liver tissue..Was sent to gastro dr..He watched my enzymes for a few more weeks, they went higher..
    Finally had to have liver biopsy, liver was inflammed..After process of elimination (sp) it was determined that it was not from any of the drugs that I have to take..I had AIH..The sooner you start treatment, the better your chances of getting stabilized..
    I'm not saying this is what you have, because like the others said, it can be temporary due to alcohol, or meds..
    But it is very wise to have it checked again within atleast 3months..**Also what do you mean when you say Iron is all screwed up..Iron counts can also play a big part in liver problems..Just something to get checked within the next few months..If you drink regularly, slow down or quit and see what next labs will show..
    Take Care...Best Wishes..........
  8. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

Milk Thistle is used to treat HepC, scirrosis of the liver and much more. Neats the pills and other crap.
    Many have been able to avoid interferon treatments with the addition of Milk Thistle.

Jackie F
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Yes, my SGOT is 60, my SGPT is 119 and my GGT is 104.....
  10. jenifurlii

jenifurlii New Member

My liver enzymes have been slightly elevated for years now. EVEN BEFORE I was even taking ANY medications. Sometimes it can be connected to being overweight even by 20 pounds. I know that is part of my problem, however, I have heard that it is quite the norm to have elevated (not too much)liver enzymes when you have FMS. Anyone can correct me if I am misinformed. It just seems that I have heard that before... Does anyone know the normal level ranges?
  11. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Normal ranges are as follows:

AST (SGOT) 0-40
    ALT (SGPT) 0-40
    GGT 0-65

Hope this helps!
    Kady