High Liver Test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Oct 28, 2005.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I just got off the phone with my primary care doctor, whom I'd called to find out more about the results of some lab tests that showed thyroid and fasting blood sugar at borderline levels. (My blood sugar was 100 for the second test in a row, and the thyroid test--I'm not sure which ones--were outside normal range for the first time that I know of.)

Surprisingly, it was my liver test that really worried him. (This is the first time since I've been seeing this doctor that he really seemed concerned. I'm not sure which liver test it was, but I think he said normal was something like 35-50, and my test was 500-800! He's ordering more lab work for Monday, and he's prescribing Propoxyphene for pain. (I think that's generic Darvon.)

I've been having some bad pain days lately, and I don't sleep well. (Last night was especially bad--a combination of having to urinate 9-10 times during the night, despite being on generic Ditropan and self-cathing before bed.) I may have a bladder infection, but the frequent urination also could be from my MS.

Anyway, I'm very nervous about the high liver numbers, especially since I've been taking milk thistle. (For maintenance, I've been taking less than the full dose. I think I'll double up and hope that helps.

Has anybody else had this kind of problem with liver tests? If so, how did you handle it? And if you've taken propoxyphene or Darvon, how effective was it for you in controlling pain. (I also take 100 mg of generic Wellbutrin and 300 mg of Neurontin--100mg in am and 200mg at bedtime-- for pain.) I seem to recall taking Darvon years ago, and it didn't help me much.

Thanks for sharing whatever information you can.

--Laura R.M.

My doc told me to stay off Tylenol, Fioricet, Advil, aspirin--virtually any non-narcotic painkiller
  2. susabar

susabar New Member

Please listen... no tylenol absolutely no alcohol...
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

There are many of us on this site who have the same problem. If I could find my numbers I would compare them to yours. Maybe tomorrow.

Susabar has good advice - no tylenol, no alcohol.

My liver is very toxic. I cannot even tolerate milk thistle. Keep taking it and increase it if you can. Dandelion tea is also very good.

Your liver can repair itself but you have to work at it. I suggest that you do a "liver" search on this site and you will get lots of ideas.

Good luck. I will post my most recent results when I find them.
    Pepper
  4. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I take Wellbutrin, and did take Neurontin and Darvocet for
    pain prior to starting on Oxicontin. My liver tests have
    never been questionable but with your other health issues

it may be different. I have never been told not to take tylenol. I have acid reflux & IBS so that may be why my dr. says to only take tylenol if needed. Let us know what happens with the tests.

GGO LUCK!! PIRT
  5. granmama

granmama New Member

Laura,
    There are several different liver enzymes that can be elevated for many different reasons.
    Did he mention anything about FERRITIN? It is the stored iron level in your liver. It can be elevated up to 1000 or more. It is a high indicator for an iron overload disease called Hemochromatosis. Usually a gastro doc would schedule a liver biopsy for a final diagnosis.

I have Hemochromatosis and did have an elevated level of 800. Also, one of my liver enzymes (GGT) was elevated too.

I just thought I would mentioned this because there are so many people that never have their ferritin level checked and later in their 40-60th decade of life find out they have this and damage to the liver could have already occured + other symptoms such as joint pain, diabetes.

I don't want to scare you unnecessarily! If you are really worried, call the doctor back and have him or the nurse explain more to you, then do research on the web.

Take care,
    granmama
  6. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

granmama wrote:

[I just thought I would mentioned this because there are so many people that never have their ferritin level checked and later in their 40-60th decade of life find out they have this and damage to the liver could have already occured + other symptoms such as joint pain, diabetes.]

Thanks, granmama. I'm already 60, but my doctor may be looking at this very possibility. He mentioned at least referring me for an ultrasound of my liver, assuming the blood test he wants me to take on Monday confirms the numbers that alarmed him. (He seemed very alarmed, which really alarmed me!)

--Laura R.M.

[This Message was Edited on 10/30/2005]
  7. granmama

granmama New Member

and if this turns out to be HH (heriditary hemochromatosis) then I'm here for you!
    I hope it's something else. But, your doctor reacted just as mine did at the time I questioned the consistant elevated GGT liver enzyme & ferritin year after year. These tests were performed by my GYN. He never put the dots together. The nurse would call with my yearly lab results and mentioned the out of range results and ask me if I had ever had hepatitis or drank liquor alot. Both of which I answered no!
    I finally got tired of it and after 7 years asked my primary about it. He ordered more tests, ferritin,tibc,iron saturation and serum iron.
    My hemoglobin and red cell count was elevated too. All rich with iron.
    Are you of Irish, Scottish or Celtic decent? Mine is Irish.

Good luck with your tests and diagnosis. Keep us up to date, ok?
    granmama
  8. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Thanks for your good wishes, Granmama.

I had my lab tests today, and I found out that they aren't looking at ferritin. Apparently, the tests that were out of whack were my ALT and AST levels. (I think my levels were around 15 times the "normal" levels.)

They're going to re-check a bunch of other things, too, including Hep A, Hep C, two Hep Bs, albumin, bilrubin, PTT, PT, serum protein, TSH and a bunch more. I won't get the results until next week.

I looked up some things about hepatitis, and I don't think I have the symptoms. So maybe the original test was just a fluke. But it does make me more concerned than ever about the effects of all my medications on my liver.

--Laura R.M.
  9. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hi Laura, another "Laura" here. I just wanted to let you know that Neurontin is not metabolized by your liver and is excreted by the kidneys, so you don't have to worry about that drug at least.

I hope and pray you can get the help you need concerning this.
    take care,
    Laura
  10. granmama

granmama New Member

Laura,
    I'm so happy that HH isn't a factor now. I hope they get to the bottom of it soon!
    Keep us posted on your results. We all care.
    granmama

11. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

My doctor called this evening with the results of my latest lab tests, and he said my AST and ALT were only slightly elevated this time--just about normal. He suspects there was a mistake at the lab last time, but he's still ordering an ultrasound on my liver to be on the safe side. At least for now I can go back to using over-the-counter pain meds for less-severe pain and for fevers (as long I don't overdo it and as long as future liver tests don't show any problems).

Unfortunately, the labs also showed that I have a mild bladder infection, and the culture indicated that Keflex is the only antibiotic that will work on it. I need to discuss this with my urologist. Since I have a neurogenic bladder, I have to be careful about antibiotics so that I don't wind up developing resistance to *all* antibiotics. Besides, with the candida problems I've had recently, I'm not sure I want to start on that merry-go-round again now that it finally seems to be under control with my new brand of probiotics.

But at least for now, it looks as though the liver scare may be over.

I really appreciate the good thoughts and advice from all of you.

--Laura R.M.