high platelet count and FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lynncats, Nov 4, 2009.

1. lynncats

lynncats New Member

Hello all. I have a high platelet count of 525,000. Does anyone think this could be because of FM or visa versa. I had a bone marrow biopsy done, thank goodness it wasn't leukemia (sp?). The doctors don't know why my platelet count is so high. Now I'm starting to think it has something to do with me having FM. Any advise???

2. spacee

spacee Member

In my long years of being ill, I have know personally one CFS patient who had a very high platelet count. High enough to be on a chemo pill daily. She took that med for years, decades, I do believe.

She is still alive and kicking and doing pretty well.

3. jknight

jknight Member

Hi Lynn, I am having the same problem as you with the high platelets. I also have FM and many other medical issues. I had blood work done in Sept. and they told me the platelets were high and to have it rechecked in a couple of weeks. I returned about a month later and have just heard back and they are referring me to a Hematologist. I am really concerned also. I have no idea what to expect but I really don't think it is related to Fibro, according to what I have read on the Internet. Did they schedule you for a bone marrow test immediately?

4. lynncats

lynncats New Member

Hi there. Glad to know that you will be seeing a hematologist. I was seeing one for about 1 year maybe a little less, before he decided to do the bone marrow biopsy. I had to go in once a month during that time to have my platelets checked. He told me that if they got up in the 600,000 thats when he would do the biopsy, well when they hit 598,000 he told me we can do the biopsy or we can wait, I said "let's get it over with". Thankfully, it came back good. So I'm still not sure why the heck they are high. I'm going to ask my rheumy next week what she thinks. You take care and good luck with the hematologist, I hope everything turns out good. Keep me posted on what they say, I'll be thinking of you.

5. lynncats

lynncats New Member

thanks for responding. Your friend must have a VERY high count to be on a chemo pill. Luckily for me, I was told to take an asprin a day to thin the blood. Glad to know she is doing good.