High Pressure in Eye

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dara, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Dara

Dara New Member

I recently went to my Optamologist because of a sudden change in eyesight. He checked the pressure in both eyes, one eye had a high pressure reading. I had the field vision test for Glaucoma. He called today and left a message saying the field vision test was OK, so no glaucoma. Has anyone else had a high pressure reading, but no Glaucoma??

Dara
  2. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

when my pressure was around 16-18 he said possible glacoma that was for a few years and since then I go in every 3 months. So I guess, yes.

Take care, Kim
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

this morning and he said that I don't have Glaucoma, according to field vision test, but my pressure is at 19. He said given my family history of Glaucoma I need to be checked once a year. He also told me that my records showed that my pressure has been high for the last several years, first time they've ever told me about it!!

I also have the "drooping eyelids", so I am going in for another test to see how much that affects my vision. He told me the name of what they call the drooping eyelids, but I don't remember it now.

So, now I'm not sure what you meant, do you have Glaucoma? My sister has had it since she was 40 and I have a lot of cousins, Aunts & Uncles that also had it. I guess it is something that I just need to be sure is checked often.

Dara
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

once it got to 19 he said he was going to treat me for Glacoma. So he did. I to did find it a bit difficult since he a couple years back would say developing it, have it and then developing it and then we will just treat it when it gets high and then last year he started the drops.

He said the pressure will start to cause damage but, that is good that it has not yet. I did have another VF yesturday. Good luck, Kim

5. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I can't remember (big surprise) the full name of the drooping eyelid but it begins with "blephero-", if that jobs your memory. (trained as a medical transcriptionist)

My pressure was up about a year ago and the dr. said it looked as if I might have "a little glaucoma". I had the vision field test and it was OK, but he said to come in every 6 months. Unfortunately, when I got the reminder card I was caring for my mother and couldn't get away. Since then I just keep forgetting to ask my primary for a referral, and I can't spare the co-pay anyway. Nobody ever mentioned my exact pressure.

JoAnn
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

I'm being pushy or anything, but you really should get the pressure re-checked. You don't want it to cause blindness. Believe me, I've seen what my sister has gone through with her Glaucoma and I sure don't want it.

Thanks for replying.

Dara
  7. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

My eye pressure are high enough to be suspected for glaucoma, but as of yet, not enough to be treated presently..My mother has glaucoma, and it runs in family, therefore, I will be checked for it, periodically..

Plantscaper
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

that her pressure reading has never been as high as mine was, 19. So evidently the only determining factor as to whether you have Glaucoma or not, is how you do on the field vision test?? The doctor actually insinuated that I most likely would have Glaucoma in the future, so wouldn't you think the drops to decrease the pressure would be a preventative. It's my understanding that the increased pressure is what damages the optic nerve.

It's almost like they have to wait until the damage is done, then try and fix it...

Dara
  9. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Just wondered if you are on meds? - could be accellerating things apart from the side effects. Topamax is one of them...

Here`s a little snippet of info (bit technical) just for interest:-

IMPORTANT DRUG WARNING

Acute myopia and secondary angle closure glaucoma

A syndrome consisting of acute myopia associated with secondary angle closure glaucoma has been reported in patients receiving TOPAMAX. Symptoms include acute onset of decreased visual acuity and/or ocular pain. Ophthalmologic findings can include myopia, anterior chamber shallowing, ocular hyperemia (redness) and increased intraocular pressure. Mydriasis may or may not be present. This syndrome may be associated with supraciliary effusion resulting in anterior displacement of the lens and iris, with secondary angle closure glaucoma. Symptoms typically occur within 1 month of initiating TOPAMAX therapy. In contrast to primary narrow angle glaucoma, which is rare under 40 years of age, secondary angle closure glaucoma associated with topiramate has been reported in pediatric patients as well as adults. The primary treatment to reverse symptoms is discontinuation of TOPAMAX as rapidly as possible, according to the judgment of the treating physician. Other measures, in conjunction with discontinuation of TOPAMAX, may be helpful.

Elevated intraocular pressure of any etiology, if left untreated, can lead to serious sequelae including permanent vision loss.

Symptoms have typically occurred within the first month of therapy, with patients reporting an acute onset of decreased visual acuity and/or ocular pain. Eye examination revealed myopia, redness, shallowing of the anterior chamber and elevated ocular pressure, with or without pupil dilatation. Supraciliary effusion may displace the lens and iris anteriorly, secondarily causing angle closure glaucoma.

If patients develop this syndrome, the primary treatment to reverse symptoms is discontinuation of TOPAMAX as rapidly as possible, according to the judgment of the treating physician. Other measures, in conjunction with discontinuation of TOPAMAX, may be helpful.

[This Message was Edited on 07/20/2003]
  10. Dara

Dara New Member

Pat: No I don't take Topomax, but I was wondering the same thing about the meds. I did ask the eye doctor and he said that it would not be related to any of the meds I do take. My daughter takes Topomax and that's the first thing the Pharmacist told her about, was to be sure and watch for any change in vision.

Darkearth & Plantscaper: The part that I'm really confushed about is this; the high pressure in the eye is what causes the damage to the optic nerve, which in turn causes Glaucoma, which in turn can cause blindness. Now, if the pressure is high but hasn't caused damage to the Optic nerve yet, why don't they treat the high pressure BEFORE it causes damage to the optic nerve?? It really doesn't make sense to me, it's kind of like closing the barn door after the cows get out, if you know what I mean..Also, you would think that if we have a family history of Glaucoma they would really aggressively treat it before the damage can be done.

I have to go into his office next week so I'm going to talk to him about all of this. I have also noticed I have had a real increase in "floaters" in my eyes. Also, do you have bloodshot eyes in the morning?

Dara
  11. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Initally, from observation, the doc thought I had already sustained a lot of damage..however, my eyes tested out to be normal in function..what is that all about?

I think it takes a long while to develop glaucoma..even when you have high ocular pressure..I have had some readings of over 21 and they have not put me on any drops..

I really, myself, would rather wait, as you have to be on Timolol (beta blocker) or something similar,and it has its own side effects..I have not done well on the beta blockers I tried for blood pressure..My mother has to take two different eye drops, now, and for the rest of her life..

I guess I am just really exhausted with all the health problems..Are you really near-sighted, too?.it seems to be another potential precursor to glaucoma..

Plantscaper