High Protein Diet for FMS??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GooGooGirl, May 30, 2003.

1. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I was watching Larry King last week and the famous psychic Sylvia Browne was on. A couple of people called in not knowing what was wrong with them. She told them both that they have Fibro and they should eat a high protein diet.
    Has anyone heard of this before? I'm a carb addict/mostly vegetarian and I rarely eat meat. Has anyone had success with a high protein diet?
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Hi

A few posts down from you is the thread One month without sugar and NO FLARES
    I believe there are other posts. Do searches on Atkins or low carb or high protein you will probably find more info.

I lost 45 pounds on Atkins and don't feel a bit better but some people do.
    Good luck
    [This Message was Edited on 05/31/2003]
  3. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

Just ordered the Atkins diet book from ebay....going to give it a shot. Have heard that others are losing weight and feeling better without the carbs and sugar. Why not give it a try? Good luck Tulip
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

Seems a high protein diet helps lots of people, judging by how many benefit it would surely be worth a try.

Even years ago when less docs had any understanding of CFS it was noted that vegetarians did less well. Could have been due to high carbs, low protein.

Cheers

Tansy
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

At age 51, I went high protein last November, and I will never go back. All my bloating went away, most of my IBS went away, I lost 17 lbs., my cholesterol went down, my triglycerides dropped all the way back to normal, and I have a lot more energy and more even moods. More important, I am in control of my eating again, and do not feel like an addict who must have lots of sugars or die trying.
    I do not use Atkins. I use the Metabolic Typing Diet, which is based on the idea that you should eat what your particular ancestors evolved on, and no one diet fits all people. My diet is a bit more liberal than Atkins for that reason.
    It is very hard for me to make myself eat animals. I fool myself, by choosing versions that are far from the source,so I don't have to think about it, ie. I use ground turkey instead of buying an actual bird. This is hypocritical, but it's the only way I can stand to do it, and since I feel so much better, I know I need to keep doing it.
    There are serious health risks to being vegetarian if you do not supplement with B12 and avoid processed foods. Too many simple carbs without protein to balance them will eventually produce Syndrome X or Metabolic Syndrome or Insulin Resistance Syndrome, as it is sometimes called. I have this, because all those years when I was eating brown rice and veggies, I also ate cookies and doughnuts. This is FAR more unhealthy than eating meats. Do a search of previous posts ot read more about Syndrome X, or do a websearch. You can also visit the website of Dr. Joseph Mercola, as he has many articles on this subject. I believe he has an excellent article on his site about The Myths of Vegetarianism. That may be enough reason to help you decide to try high protein.
    Klutzo
  6. Elbryan

Elbryan New Member

I'm getting ready to do a diet called the Hyplock diet. It is a combination of the Adkins and a Mayo clinic diet. I will let you know how it goes.
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Love your name!! I eat very low carbs, because recently found out I am allergic to most all grains, corn, potatoes, etc. HOWEVER, I do NOT eat tons of protein like on Atkins, etc. I do not eat red meat or pork (haven't in 20 years, plus found out I'm allergic anyway), I do eat some fish, chicken, turkey & beans/brown rice. I'm allergic to all dairy, soy & most nuts---so no protein from those sources.

I eat some fruit, mainly tons of fresh veggies, limited protein, & brown & wild rice. And the "good" fats. I was never a big sugar junkie even before this, & nothing's changed---still don't eat sugar (I sweeten my tea w/Stevia, though).

I have lost about 20 lbs---a lovely side benefit!---plus this diet agrees with my allergies---which is helping my FM & energy level.

Diets are very personal, though----what I'm doing may be no good for someone else. Many of us have other conditions in addition to FM & CFS, so diets really need to be tailored to the individual. I personally would not promote any one particular diet as being the "best" for FM----I think it's highly individual....

Good luck & hope whatever style of eating you adopt makes you feel better!

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Just wanted to add that Sylvia often says
    difulcan (not sure, the yeast pill not the lax)
    is a big help to us as well.

I am supposed to be on a protein diet for
    insulin resistance and haven't been able to do it yet
    due to severe stomach problems. The only thing
    I seem to tolerate farily well are potatoes or other
    carbs. It is so hard having so many diff problems and
    tyring to fix them but that bothers something else.

Lynn
  9. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Just wanted to say that my husband and I were doing Atkins for 7 months. Diets went to h*ll over the holidays & we never did get back on completely. We try to stay away from sugars, pasta, potatoes, bread, all the hi carb stuff. We plan to start again next week. I constantly feel bloated after a meal where I eat too many carbs. So for me, I do feel better lo carbing it.

What I wanted to tell you is that just because you are doing hi protein/lo carb doesn't mean you have to eat tons of meat. I don't. I never have been a big meat eater. I do eat some but mostly veggies - lots of salads, a little fruit, eggs & cheese. Most of the meat we eat is chicken or turkey or venison.

I feel you still need to watch how many calories you eat even on the hi protein diet. If you are not getting a lot of exercise, the high calorie diet will not allow you to loose weight - but maybe you don't need to lose any.

Just my 2 cents worth.:)

Forgot to add that my FMS doc recommends this diet. He says do low carb for 2 weeks & off for 2 days. Keep repeating the cycle. I seem to stick to it better if I stay on it all the time. He thinks a person would be more likely to stick to it most of the time if they take a day or 2 to have something they're hungry for that is not on the diet. Guess it's a personal thing.

Take care........Kathi
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2003]
  10. PaulMark

PaulMark New Member

OK my primary dx is cfids by cheney please read what i included in my post on tonite about reading about neurontin i ad libbed about the confusion of diets and lorraine day md's the dr. who was near death with cancer and is totally recovered at 60 and looks 40 prdooucces videos she's 7th day adentist so agains all dairy meat of al lkinds

yet she got well, juiced tons of carrots apples

i posted i have moderate allergen to carrots and breaks out my tongue

how do you explain her getting well, wi/ no meat?

i don't eat much meat, do have the lady mom hires to cook uses meat broths mainly i don't eat cause i 'm can't stay up long up enough to digest much protein,

and now after wathcing her videos i'm scared to eat meat

So many diets so confusing,

by the way lorraine although she was an md trauma ortho surgeon points to the PDR dr. ref. book and says all drugs in there have side effects not ONE list none

and she' right i know so what do we do

IS there a better way, i pray that GOd will tell us ,

I know this little voice keeps saying there is cause i'm sicker than ever after 5 yrs.

i see dr. cheney for my annual visit 6/l0 in asheville i'm going to ask him some of this ?????

he usually says weight risk.vs benefit well that's the hard part,

thanks imput appreciated Paul mark in KY
  11. PaulMark

PaulMark New Member

OK my primary dx is cfids by cheney please read what i included in my post on tonite about reading about neurontin i ad libbed about the confusion of diets and lorraine day md's the dr. who was near death with cancer and is totally recovered at 60 and looks 40 prdooucces videos she's 7th day adentist so agains all dairy meat of al lkinds

yet she got well, juiced tons of carrots apples

i posted i have moderate allergen to carrots and breaks out my tongue

how do you explain her getting well, wi/ no meat?

i don't eat much meat, do have the lady mom hires to cook uses meat broths mainly i don't eat cause i 'm can't stay up long up enough to digest much protein,

and now after wathcing her videos i'm scared to eat meat

So many diets so confusing,

by the way lorraine although she was an md trauma ortho surgeon points to the PDR dr. ref. book and says all drugs in there have side effects not ONE list none

and she' right i know so what do we do

IS there a better way, i pray that GOd will tell us ,

I know this little voice keeps saying there is cause i'm sicker than ever after 5 yrs.

i see dr. cheney for my annual visit 6/l0 in asheville i'm going to ask him some of this ?????

he usually says weight risk.vs benefit well that's the hard part,

thanks imput appreciated Paul mark in KY
  12. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi y'all,

I am confused about the protein issue too. I have read very convincing books from both sides of the fence. My husband and I both have CFS/FMS. I am a vegitarian/ mostly vegan. My husband eats alot of meat.

Eating more meat is supposed to level out the blood sugar so that we don't crave sugar and carbs.

I am considering adding fish to my diet but I don't know if I can bring myself to eat it.

Best Wishes,

Mrs. Zoso

13. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have been dealing with your dilemma for a bit longer and have done much thinking about this. Maybe some of my thoughts will help you. Beans and dairy alone for protein sources just won't work, since as you know, they are a half and half balance between carbs and proteins, leaving no room for other carbs in the diet on a low carb diet.
    For one thing, look at the way this plane of existance is set up....everything has to kill and eat something else in order to survive. That is why I agree with Sylvia Browne that this is the plane of negativity.
    Yes, we have the long digestive tract of herbivores, but we also have the canine teeth of carnivores. The combination of those two things shows we are meant to be omnivores, and eat a wide variety of foods.
    For another thing, it is just anthropomorphism of the worst sort to say that it is OK to eat plants but not animals...that animals are somehow off limits because they have faces like we do...when there is plenty of research to show that plants scream in pain when you cut them or pull them out of the ground. How can we judge some forms of life to be more sacred just because they look more like us? That would be a form of "food racism"!
    In short, I believe everything here is alive. It is all God's creation, and it is a fact of this existance that we must kill to live. I think this SUCKS, but since it is reality, I will eat what I need to live well, and that includes animal protein, BUT...
    I make sure I do not eat animals that are mis-treated...a good example is veal, which I will not touch because of he way the calves are treated. Buy kosher meats if possible, even if you are not Jewish, since you know they have been killed humanely. And, I say a prayer before eating, and like the American Indians, I thank all of God's creatures for their sacrifice so that I may eat this meal. I also remember that nothing is ever lost in spirit, and that the animals I eat go on living on another plane of existance (or at least I beleive they do).
    When we live on this planet, we must play by the rules here. Like Sylvia Browne, I hope and pray I do not have to come back here aqain....it is too hard on my sensibilities.
    I hope this philosophical rant will help you some.
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2003]
  14. pinkquartz

pinkquartz New Member

i am helped by a nutritionist who convinced me to eat meat again an d cut back on carbs.
    i found this very hard as all my adult life i ahve been either a veggie or a vegan , however i tried it with the condition i will only eat organic meat out of respect for the animal and for my health benefits too.
    the first change is that it had helped to stabilise my blood sugar .
    i hardly ever get panic attacks any more and i can see that i have deprived my body of the nutrients it needed to repair itself for nearly 23 years.
    so i believe i am finally giving my body the materials it needs to heal.
    it seems we need the extra protein......if someone is a healthy veggie...no problem, but i was a very ill veggie and sticking to my principals wasn't doing me or anyone any good.
    i have an attitude of gratefulness toward the animals that i am eating........and most meat i buy comes from a nearby farm, which feels like a good ethical choice.

i have to admit to being carbo junkie, i have slipped back into eating bread and sugar after the recent sad events in my life....hope to get myself back on track soon.
    pinkquartz
  15. Jinx69

Jinx69 New Member

Each one of us is unique. I think dietwise, the same holds true as with medicine. Some of us PWCS/PWFs, do well on certain meds, and others can't tolerate them. Sylvia Browne is no doctor, and she even said so on that show.

I do eat a little more protein, but I am not on a "High" protein diet, because I am not going to give up things I know are good for me, like certain vegetables that aren't supposed to be eaten on those diets.

Just my thoughts.

16. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

It's been a godsend-miracle for me. I have eaten Atkins style most of my life, and periodically "jump" off the wagon over holidays, etc.... (I am a sweets addict). In any case, when I stick to the Atkins diet, I feel absolutely fabulous. My bp is super low, cholesterol is great, and my mind is clear, panic/anxiety almost disappears. After 2 years of being laid up with extreme back pain and fm symptoms, I had gained 25 pounds. I spent most of my time in front of the computer, or watching movies and stuffing myself with all sorts of pastries, chocolate, ice cream and MORE! I started Atkins May 9th, and am already down two dress sizes. I get up in the morning and see a smaller me every day. I'm almost to my ideal weight and when I get there, I will add fruits to my diet, whole grains and on occasion, I will be bad and eat Dairy Queen or chocolate cake. I will never tell myself never, because if I do that, I am setting myself up for sure failure. My pain level is almost zero, and before there were times the pain was so bad I would cry, or worse, would get sick to my stomach.

The Atkins/High Protien way of eating is our ancestors diet, God's diet and it is perfect for most of us. Trust in it and try it. It will change your life! I feel so good about myself now and before I started this, I hated even looking at myself in the mirror.

Marilyn :)
  17. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I agree with you, but with one caveat. The high protein/low carb diet is the diet of the ancestors of MOST Americans, not all. If your ancestors came from hot places like India, Africa, the Caribbean or anywhere else where the traditional diet is rice and beans with just a bit of protein, then you will be sick on high protein/low carb. There is no one right diet for everyone. I know I sound like a broken record, but I once again strongly recommend William Wolcott's book "The Metabolic Typing Diet", which explains this theory, offers many proofs including pictures showing some amazing advantages to eating the diet you've evolved to eat, and has a 65 question test designed to help you figure out if you need a high protein/low carb diet, high carb/low protein, or something in between. No,I do not get royalties from pushing this book!
    Klutzo
  18. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi Klutso,

I just read the" Metabolic Type Diet" book also. I am a "mixed" type. So according to the author, I am not getting enough protein.

I also read "The Mood Cure." The author recommends lots of animal protein and fat to cure anxiety, depression, and other mood disorders.

On the other side of the fence is "Diet for a New America" and "Sick and Tired?" both of which recommend vegan diets.

It really comes down to the ethical issues. Klutso, I see that you have resolved your moral dilemmas and I hope that I will too. Thanks for your thoughts on this problem.

Mrs. Zoso
  19. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Please note that at the end of my post, I put in:

"The Atkins/High Protien way of eating is our ancestors diet, God's diet and it is perfect for most of us." I would never suggest a high protien diet will work for everyone.

Some of us do well on alot of protien, and some of us do better on smaller amounts of protien with larger amounts of fruits and vegy's. It's just a matter of adjusting the diet to suit our systems. In a nutshell, lose the processed foods, and that's anything in a box or bag. Anybody here interested in eating right, get the book, "Eat Right 4 Your Bloodtype"....this doctor explains why each bloodtype requires different diets. It's an eye opener!

Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2003]
  20. klutzo

klutzo New Member

....is part of the Metabolic Typing Diet I recommend, only the Metabolic Typing Diet is much, much more specific. Blood type is a good general indication of where your ancestors probably came from, but is not specific enough to narrow it down, esp. since you have to take the blood type of both your parents into account.
    For example, I am blood Type A, which is the high carb type, since Type A blood originated in the hot Mediterranean basin where they eat grains and dates, etc. However, my dad's side of the family is Type O, and by far the majority of ancestors on both sides came from Type O places, ie. cold places like Russia, Scotland and England, where people ate primarily dairy (Russia) and cold water fish or mutton (Scotland and England) for protein. I am over-simplifying this, but in the book it is very specific.
    I am a "mixed type", leaning strongly towards being a protein type, which is a long way from being the "carbo type" that my blood type alone would suggest.
    Klutzo