HIGH PROTEIN DIET????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by harmony21, Apr 23, 2007.

1. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

has anyone heard that a high protein diet is supposed to be helpful for FM?
    If so what and how did you go about it.
  2. clerty

clerty New Member

eat a diet with less carbs and more fish chicken nuts
    with veg there is something on here somewhere I am sure try typin in the search box.

Clerty
  3. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

thank you Clerty, at the moment I dont seem to help myself do the right thing and unfortunatle love the sugar and carbs I NEED A MAID...... I see you are in singapore iam in Australia and the same here as far as awareness is concerned. Sympathetic and knowledgble doctors hard to find, word of mouth, it makes the whole thing so much more difficult. Do you know anyone who has been on the high protein diet and had any success or is it more comlicated than that? Am getting sick of trying things and having no benefit and costing heaps

love n healing light to you
  4. clerty

clerty New Member

just help with pain good for muscles have you tried any of the protocols on here there are a few let us know it you want any inforamtion on any of the protocols there are many willing people to help mikie is a gem and has found he way back to a better quality of life on the guai protocol she has helped me may times

5. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Sorry am a newie have only been diagnosed for 9 months or so and still in disbelieve really, have tried many things to feel better but to no avail but then maybe if I didnt I would have felt worse. I feel like Iam in a maze and not knowing which way to turn......I think that maybe in the end it wont go away just be managble bu there always hope maybe????? Still question whether it is FM but doc says it is. On the whole am better cause at the end of last year had no way of getting out of bed so rest has been a friend
    Could you tell what protocol means and give me some examples, ta
    have a good day......
  6. roge

roge Member

I have not heard this but I know for some it has helped. I will say eating more protein will definitely help with hypoglycemia symptoms as many with FM have this , so try and eat 40% or even 50% of your calories of each meal in protein and eat 6 smaller meals /day as opposed to 2 or 3 bigger ones. In general people eat far too much carbs and the bad carbs (simple) and not complex carbs.

also there is a possibility that Fibros are not getting the protein required to help maintain their muscles, this could be due to malabsorption due to leaky gut and th eprotein not being broken down well enough. Thus first step is repair the gut (introduce probiotics) and in meantime take digestive enymes to help break down the protein as you very well might not be digesting it well enough.

also, might consider using whey protein in between meals for more convenient way to get your protein. Might also consider taking amino acids (protein is broken down into individual amino acids).

I know that is brief, but is a start.

peace

7. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, harmony21.

It's true that most people with CFS feel better on a high protein diet. I believe that the reason for this is that the amino acids from proteins can interconvert via transamination reactions, and they are thus able to enter the Krebs cycle at locations downstream of the partial blockades. Carbohydrates and fats, on the other hand, must enter at acetyl CoA, which is at the beginning of the Krebs cycle and upstream of the partial blockades. The partial blockades are initially caused by glutathione depletion, but other factors accumulate as the pathogenesis proceeds.

Switching to a high-protein diet may make you feel a little better, but it is not curative. If you are interested in a cure, I suggest that you look into the treatment based on the glutathione depletion--methylation cycle block hypothesis for CFS. This treatment is new, and is helping quite a few people on this board. I think it has the potential to be an actual cure. It isn't very expensive. I'm not selling anything, or exaggerating. This is not a hoax. If you want to read about the treatment or the hypothesis behind it, please click on my name to go to my bio, and there are urls there for sites where my papers are posted. If you want to track the people on this board who are trying this treatment, look for the threads that have "methyl" or "methylation" in their titles.

Rich
  8. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

pardon the ignorance but I find what you all are talking about so overwhelming, I havent heard any of it much more complicated than a HIGH PROTEIN DIET. I dont understand any of what you are saying but will investigate it, mind you my mind is not the best very disorganised, no memory to speak of and disorientated, familiar????? Hope so
    What is leaky gut I pray. Iam from Australia does that explain anything???????
    My doctor is going to have a fit when i speak to her next

Thanks for info
  9. clerty

clerty New Member

I know I stil get confused but there are a few protocols that have helped as you have not been long diagnosed perhaps it woud be a good idea if you do a lot of reading and research into what might be the best protocol for you
    the guai protocol is one I will see if I can copy and paste something for you there I tried it but i felt very unwell on it there is so much information on here and it does get very confusing ask away and people will help with any questions you have and you can always do a search on the top box to see if a question has been covered.

Clertyx
  10. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

thank you for advice will have a look for protocols, have done heaps of research and its that i find confusing especially when its gets very ( cant think of the word) my mind just doesnt want to work but you know too difficult to understand, that is why we have doctors isnt???????
    why cant it be simple, take a tab and presto not all this complex stuff i find it really overwhelming.
    will try as you say though and let you know what happens

love n light
    Connie
  11. clerty

clerty New Member

You can do a search for the Guaifenesin protocol in the library here. It is a treatment for CFS / FMS devised over 30 years by Dr St Amand & his nurse who both have fibro, as do their children.

His theory is that we are genetically unable to rid our bodies of phosphates, & that it is therefore stored in our body cells, causing all of our many horrible symptoms.

He discovered that taking Guaifenesin (& avoiding salicylates as they use the same kidney receptors as the Gauifenesin) allows our bodies to rid themselves of the phosphates. This takes about three months for every year that we've been ill. It's not easy as the correct dose makes our symptoms worse as the phosphates leave our bodies. Some of us here are having success with the treatment. The Guai has to be taken for life, otherwise the phosphates start to build up again & our symptoms return.

The Guai is available in the store here. The key to understanding this demanding protocol is Dr St Amand's book 'What your doctors may not tell you about fibromyalgia'.

There are on-line Guai groups in both America & the U.K.

12. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

My doc. likes me to have a high protein diet - even though I occasionally cheat a little.

However, he says to be careful what TYPE of protein I have - lots of stews, casseroles, protein powder etc. Not much steak etc. because it can be difficult to digest.

13. Catseye

Catseye Member

Just be careful you don't overload your liver with too much fat or protein at any one meal. Eat several small meals per day, giving yourself a couple of hours to digest in between. A drumstick is about my limit at any one time, but I have liver problems. I think we all do and that's why you have to baby it. You'll know right away if you've eaten too much fat or protein for your liver to handle.

best wishes,

karen
  14. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I just recently went back to high protien/low carb diet. Once all the sugar was out of my system I started feeling better.

I have more energy (of course that is all relative!) and less pain in my muscles. Joint pain and back pain have not gotten better, but muscle pain is much better.

I am also sometimes sleeping 4 or 5 hours at a time! That is so much better the the 45 to 60 minutes at I time I usually get.

It may be partly because I stopped taking Effexor also, hard to say.

I am probably sensitive to sugar. You may be sensitive to something else. Trial and error may be your best way to find out.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  15. xmen

xmen New Member

My Docter says I have a leaky gut Its called Gas. Bowel Syndrome sorry for spelling. It has to do with the part of your inside that deal your waste removal and when you get blowed the gas you can't get rid of it like normal people by farting so it stays forms bubbles and when pops it leaks into gut. Its not the exact descrition I have a hard time remembering the medical terms. But He says that basicly I am full of it. try eating more fiber. Like Raisin bran cereal. Of course the next day your on the toilet but it helps some with stomachs. Try finding what foods give you gas and/or upset your stomach and start slowly getting away from them. Its is helping me alittle.
    It is hard to stay away completly when some are favorite food.But I try.
  16. woohooo

woohooo New Member

I've been following the Eat Right For Your Blood Type diet and have had more energy since adhering to it, and that's only a few days.
    YOu can get more info on www.dadamo.com
    I got the book from the local public library.
  17. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, harmony21.

O.K., sorry for the complexity.

Here are the supplements in the simplified treatment approach based on the glutathione depletion--methylation cycle block hypothesis. They are available from http://www.holisticheal.com:

¼ tablet (200 micrograms) Folapro

(Folapro is 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate, an active form of folate, which is sold by Metagenics with a license from Merck, which holds the patent on synthesis).

¼ tablet Intrinsic B12/folate
    (This includes 200 micrograms of folate as a combination of folic acid, 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate, and 5-formyl tetrahydrofolate, aka folinic acid or leucovorin (another active form of folate), 125 micrograms of vitamin B12 as cyanocobalamin, 22.5 milligrams of calcium, 17.25 milligrams of phosphorus, and 5 milligrams of intrinsic factor)

(up to) 2 tablets (It’s best to start with ¼ tablet and work up as tolerated) General Vitamin Neurological Formula from Holistic Health Consultants (website above)
    (This is a multivitamin, multimineral supplement with some additional ingredients. It does not contain iron or copper, and it has a high ratio of magnesium to calcium. It contains antioxidants, some trimethylglycine, some nucleotides, and several supplements to support the sulfur metabolism.)

1 softgel capsule Phosphatidyl Serine Complex (This includes the phospholipids and some fatty acids)

1 sublingual lozenge Perque B12 (2,000 micrograms hydroxocobalamin with some mannitol, sucanat, magnesium and cherry extract)

1/3 dropper, 2X/day Methylation Support Nutriswitch Formula (This is an RNA mixture designed to help the methylation cycle. It is not essential, but is reported to be helpful. It is the most expensive of the supplements in this treatment approach)

If you want to know the theory behind this treatment, it is somewhat complicated, but it is completely described in the following papers:

http://phoenix-cfs.org/GluAACFS04.htm

http://phoenix-cfs.org/GSH%20Methylation%20Van%20Konynenburg.htm

http://phoenix-cfs.org/GSH%20Methylation%20Treatment%20Konynenburg.htm

The basic idea is that a person with CFS has inherited certain genetic variations, and when they are combined with life experiences that place demands on glutathione, they develop a chronic block in part of their biochemistry called the methylation cycle. This ends up causing all the symptoms of CFS. This treatment is focused on fixing this block using special active supplements that compensate for the genetic problems and the block that has developed. Because a person with CFS has accumulated toxins and infections while they have been ill, the treatment involves detox and die-off of virus-infected cells and bacteria. These processed take time and produce some unpleasant symptoms, but there appears to be no other way to restore a person to health other than to go through this. So it's important to go at your own speed, decreasing the dosages of the supplements if the detox symptoms become too strong to tolerate. You can also take breaks in the treatment, so long as you don't stop so long that the toxins and infections build back up again.

This treatment is not very expensive. The cost works out to less than $2.50 per day if you leave out the RNA supplement, which is optional. I'm also not including SAMe in the suggested supplements now, and that lowers the cost, too.

I hope this helps.

Rich
  18. mujuer

mujuer New Member

the answer to your question is yes. We are all researchers here in that this is such a difficult thing that we suffer from and the more knowledge you have about it the better. It is not like having diabetes and they send you to a clinic and explain what is happening and why. you don't get to go to nutrition classes or drug classes. Most dr.s don't even know how to treat us. Just read all you can and follow this board for awhile and there are people on here that know alot more then the dr.s

Protocols are different ideas on how to treat fibro or chronic fatigue or myofacial pain. They are usually something to follow as far as medications, be they from man-made pharmaceuticals or natural products. Some protocals are integrated as well. I know it is all very confusing right now. You will get schooled soon though if you follow this board. This is the best group of people to have for your support group right now.

We all have our up days and our down days. We all try to share what works for us and what doesn't. Sometimes we just come here to vent our anger as we are the only ones who truly understand what it is like. Don't get frustrated that you don't know alot. We are here for you. Pamela
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2007]
  19. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi,empty2void.

I'm glad that explanation seems to match your experience.

Getting the genetic test run is very helpful if it fits in your budget.

I hope the antiviral treatment knocks down your viral load significantly. I think that will be a big help when you do the methylation cycle block treatment, because it will be just that much less that your immune system will have to deal with when it comes back on line as part of the methylation cycle restart.

Rich
  20. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

thank you Rich for more simplified explanation will follow suggested links etc and see what I can learn although my brain si so befuddled amd having probs typing these posts cause words wont come and when they do type them incorrectly.

to all others
    Also thank you for understanding and helpful postings am so glad i stumbled on the website

love n light to you all

Connie