High Protein/Low Carb Diet Problem

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Nov 29, 2002.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Have any of you who are on a high protein/low carb diet had a dramatic rise in your LDL?
    My triglycerides are half of what they used to be, and my total cholesterol dropped 44 pts.
    However, my LDL went up to an astronomical 167, which is very dangerous.
    I had not eaten cheese, eggs, butter or much red meat for about 20 yrs. before going on this diet. I am still not eating any butter. The only thing I would want it on would be potatoes or bread, and I'm not eating any of those.
    I am buying the leanest meat I can find, usually 7% fat. I eat one egg in the morning. I do love cheese, but try to keep it at 2 oz. daily.
    Any ideas?
    KLutzo
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Have any of you who are on a high protein/low carb diet had a dramatic rise in your LDL?
    My triglycerides are half of what they used to be, and my total cholesterol dropped 44 pts.
    However, my LDL went up to an astronomical 167, which is very dangerous.
    I had not eaten cheese, eggs, butter or much red meat for about 20 yrs. before going on this diet. I am still not eating any butter. The only thing I would want it on would be potatoes or bread, and I'm not eating any of those.
    I am buying the leanest meat I can find, usually 7% fat. I eat one egg in the morning. I do love cheese, but try to keep it at 2 oz. daily.
    Any ideas?
    KLutzo
  3. Kim

Kim New Member

Hi Klutzo,

My triglicerides are 40, my HDL 70 and my LDL 70. The doctors are always amazed. I eat lots of fish, especially salmon. I eat canola oil and olive oil in my cooked food, flax oil every day on my cereal, DHA neuromins (algae derived...the thing that fish eat that make them so good for you), use canola oil mayo and flax oil mayo (in health food stores....superior taste to gummy Helman's). I eat organic chicken sauteed in olive oil and some butter. Never use anything with transfatty oils. Lots of veggies. I love cheese, too but stay away from it most of the time due to lactose intolerance. Are you trying to lose weight, treat candida, or just lower your LDL? If candida isn't a big problem, if you eat 4 - 6 oz of protein with each meal, you should be able to eat all the veggies and fruit you want and a little complex carb like some rice or half a potato. I have to eat lots of protein for energy and have to avoid sugar, except for fruit. Best wishes. I have found that healthy eating is very satisfying. The food tastes better and makes you feel better.

Kim
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Dear Gamt - thanks for the info...I'll ask about it.

Dear Kim - My diet is actually much stricter than the one you describe. The docs say numbers as bad as mine are always genetic, and it's true that every adult in my family has low HDL. I work out 6 days per week and always have,and I eat oatmeal every morning as the only grain I eat, yet my HDL is 34, and stays around there no matter what I do. I eat tons of veggies and lots of salmon and other cold water fishes. I eat no sugars, and no rice or potato or bread or pasta at all. I cannot tolerate even a teensy bit of flax oil without becoming very, very ill, but other than that my diet is like yours. My cholesterol took a huge jump when I went through menopause, and it just took another huge jump for no apparent reason a couple months ago. I am discouraged because I am now 51, and my father had a heart attack at 53. I can't tolerate any of the medicines for this. I am glad you have such good numbers.

KLutzo

5. Suze

Suze New Member

I have no info for you....just stopped to say hello and to add that I'm impressed with the nutritional information you've been dispensed on this thread.

You and I talked about breakfasts not long ago. Wanted to tell you that despite my allergy to a dairy protein, I discovered I'm able to eat a small amount of nonfat plain yogurt each day. I combine it with wheat germ and cinnamon, and it makes a great breakfast food for me.

Glad to hear your other numbers are good.

Suze
  6. Kim

Kim New Member

What are you doing in the way of supplements? Are you taking Lipoic acid and DHA? It's so hard when you can't tolerate things that help. I can't do oats because I'm gluten sensitive and I think soy gives me problems if I do too much.

The ground turkey breast I've been getting only has one gram of fat per serving so I make sure I take DHA, raw almond butter or some other monosaturated fat with that meal.

It's great you're able to workout that much. I know I don't have a genetic predisposition for low HDL and high LDL but I did move my ratio of LDL to HDL from 3.5 to 1 and cut my triglicerides in half when I gave up dairy completely and went on the DHA and Omega 3's. But giving up dairy would be so hard to do if you can't tolerate soy products.

Best wishes.

kim
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm going to the lab next week to have my lipid profile done again. I'll let you know whether it has changed since being on the low-carb diet.

I've lost the 4 pounds back that I gained while the tilers were here for four days, so am back to my 22 pound loss. I even lost a pound over Thanksgiving at my kids' place.

This site sells a product which binds to the fat and allows it to pass through the system undigested. It's very reasonable and works like the really expensive stuff sold on infomercials.

Love, Mikie
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I tried fat binders, both OTC and by prescription, and they aggravated my IBS unbearably. They also take some vitamins, esp. vitamin A, E + K and minerals out of the system unabsorbed.

Fish Oil brought my GERD back after 8 yrs. of complete remission and messed up my throat so badly I had to have a scope put down there, and am still hoarse, months after stopping it. I'll stick to real cold water fish, at least 3 times per week. Even my healthy husband had reflux while taking fish oil.

I already eat nuts and seeds, esp. walnuts for their Omega-3's and serotonin raising properties. I put them on my oatmeal, along with unsweetened blueberries to help keep my eyes healthy.

I only eat lean meats. I do not eat low-fat cheese though, and that is a good suggestion, thanks. All the other dairy items I eat are non-fat. I will not give up dairy because it is my favorite protein source, and recommended for my Metabolic Type. It is The Metabolic Typing Diet that I am on. Also, a recent study showed that eating dairy helps with weight loss.

Suze - I eat the plain non-fat yougurt with cinnamon and wheat-germ too, but I also add a small, chopped apple, one sprinkle of Stevia and a teaspoon of vanilla. That is my evening snack every night. It gives me malic acid and helps me sleep.

Yes, I take Lipoic Acid and loads of other stuff as well.

I never take Primrose Oil for the very reason you mention. I figure I am getting plenty of Omega-6's already. I do eat the whole egg because of the good nutrition in it and the lecithin that binds to the cholesterol and carries it away. I am not too worried about AA, since I don't overdo eggs or beef. I do eat a lot of ground turkey, and I love it too.

Thanks for the idea about the type of oats to eat. I have been eating the rolled ones, but only 1/4 cup and I eat NO other grains of any type, and no potatoes, or pasta either. I am not a morning person, so I usually go for the quickest breakfast I can make without dropping and spilling things in my am. stupor! (that's why I'm a Klutzo!). I will check out other types of oats though.

I think we need to face the fact that while we may be the "Captain's of our fate", genes play a heck of a big role in these things. My dad had a heart attack at 53, and my cousin had one on the raquetball court at age 42 and died. My husband eats all the wrong things, in huge amts. and has a cardiac risk ratio of 1.8!!! He credits his health to genes and to the fact that his job requires him to exercise all day long. I think that is key, but with FMS there is only so much exercise we can tolerate.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the ideas, and like Mikie, when I have my fasting test done, I'll post the results so you can all see how this diet plan works, or doesn't!

Hugs, Klutzo
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I've eaten Atkins-style since the 70's and haven't had a problem. I had my cholesterol checked not too long ago and my LDL was 130. Ideal is below 160.

Marilyn :)
  10. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Anything low fat has extra sugar added to it to make up for the loss of flavor by removing the fat. Sugar raises the triglycerids, so low fat cheese is not a good thing to ingest. Maybe no cheese at all is the thing to do?

11. klutzo

klutzo New Member

You're breaking my heart! All I have left to enjoy is an occassional slice of extra-sharp cheddar! I have never found a no-fat version of it, which is why I am still eating the regular kind. I use fat free Lactaid Milk (no extra sugar there) and fat free organic plain yogurt (no sugar their either).
    You have a much more lenient doctor than I do! Mine wants my LDL to be below 100. Maybe you have no risk factors??? I have several: center body obesity, high blood pressure, a type A personality, and a family history of heart problems on my dad's side, as well as the lousy lipids.
    I also have what I feel is my most dangerous problem,which I hope you do not have.......ever since menopause I have had an awful temper, and once it lets go, my blood pressure soars to stroke level and stays there and I can't seem to calm down. I have meditated since I was 17 yrs. old (am now 51) but cannot seem to stop this fast and overwhelming physical reaction. As a former Psychiatric Social Worker, I knew this was not good, and am afraid it will kill me some day, so I saw a PsychoNeuroEndocrinologist about it , and expected to be dx'd with an irritable depression. Much to my shock, she dx'd me with rapid cycling hypomania/dysthymia, which is much more serious and tough to treat, and yet another reason why I wish I could take Klonopin (but it makes me stop breathing). Her dx was made before my NeuroEndocrine Panel of blood tests came back...we'll see if the dx is the same after she sees the test results! I know that thyroid problems can cause this sort of thing, and there are a few cases in the literature of Xanax induced hypomania.
    As Gilda Radner said: "It's always something!"
    Klutzo
  12. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

Could you explain hypomania? What is that? Thanks.

Madelyn
  13. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hi. Hypomania is a milder version of mania. Dysthymia is a milder version of depression. So Hypomania alternating with dysthymia is a milder version of Bipolar disorder. The reference to "rapid-cycling" is concerning the fact that I told her I feel depressed every morning when I get up, but I feel normal by evening time,and have most of my energy at night. Racing thoughts are one of the most important symptoms of Hypomania, and I get that almost every night around 3 am. In Hypomania, some of the more obviously abnormal signs of mania may be missing. For example, I do not feel euphoric at all, I am not at all hyper sexual, and I don't seek out attention from anyone or talk unusually fast. I was surprised to find out that one of the characteristics about me that former employers loved most is a sign of Hypomania! Namely, that when I start something I keep going until I finish it, no matter how tired I am. I just thought that was compulsive, and it served me well at work. Who knew!
    Hope this helps to explain it.
    Klutzo
  14. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

Thanks, klutzo. That explains a lot. It also explains some people around my house! But seriously, we deal with depression around here sometimes, and I have wondered about symptoms which seem to be a milder version of bipolar.
    Thanks!
  15. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I don't have any risk factors, so am fortunate in that area. Sorry about the cheese bit, but maybe that's not what's causing the problem? Have you researched this on the net? It would be interesting to find a solution. My sister has a problem with this too and is going to check into it.

P.S. My doctor didn't say a word about my cholesterol results. I had to look it all up myself!

[This Message was Edited on 12/01/2002]