High protein/low carb..make you feel icky?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendi, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Lendi

Lendi New Member

I decided to take the advice of so many and try a high protein/low carb diet. I've only been on it for 2 days, but I feel kinda hungry/knawing feeling, my head hurts, I'm really tired and my tummy is slightly nauseous. I also feel a little bit spacey. Is this just something until that will happen for a few days until my body adjusts?
  2. Seagull

Seagull New Member

but, some may find it not the best way for them to eat if they are not hypoglycemic or diabetic. I never felt any nausea and my carb cravings disappeared within 2 days. But, I am hypoglycemic.

If you still want to keep on it for weight control, you may have to play with the amounts of protein and carbs to find the right levels for your needs. Make sure your proteins are lean and your carbs are low-glycemic. You may need to increase the amount of low carbs you eat, just a little, to see if that helps your tummy and hunger cravings. Have an extra sweet potato with the lean roast beef and see if that helps. After your system is used to eating this way, things should get easier. :) JMHO

seagull
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I was on a high protein diet and felt really bad. My weakness got worse and I felt generally very unwell. I found out that my kidneys are leaking protein (I am diabetic) and because of that, I need to be on a low protein diet. Have you had your kidney function checked? I hope this helps. Terry
  4. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

completely for 3 1/2 wks. I didn't feel real good to start with and would have killed for a slice of bread & butter. I actually felt worse for about 2 weeks. Now, though, it's much easier and I'm doing fine. I felt nauseous a lot because I just couldn't find anything to eat and I wasn't up to cooking. Now I've stocked up on or made up more things I can just grab. You are supposed to eat frequently on this diet, that could be one of your problems, if you aren't.

I'm only assuming I'm hypoglycemic - not about to have that horrendous test again - but I was "borderline low" years ago and I have all the symptoms. I'll start adding a few wheat-free carbs in a couple months. At least I've lost 9 lbs.!

JoAnn
  5. Lendi

Lendi New Member

That has helped a lot. I guess I'll give it a few more days and see what happens. The key may me that I am having a hard time finding foods that I like and are easy to transport to work. I'll go grocery shopping and see if I can figure something out again. And, maybe add a few more carbs back in and cut back a little more gradually. I'm allowed 10 per meal, but only averaged 15 all day. gradually. It helps to know this is sorta normal and it could get better. I dont' kow what I'd do without this board.
  6. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

If you are eating less than 20 grams of carbs/day that is why you're not feeling well. Try eating at least 20/day for 2 weeks (this will allow your body to quit the craving for carbs). If you're trying to lose weight, after the first 2 weeks, add 5 carbs per week until you notice you are gaining weight again, then cut back 5 carbs per week & this is your maintaince carb level. At this amount of carbs you should maintain your present weight.

My doc recommends a revised form of the Atkins diet. He suggests 2 weeks of lo carb/hi protein, then take a weekend to eat something you are really craving. I find it easier to just stick to the diet most of the time. If I get hungry for ice cream, I buy some sweetened w/splenda & just eat a little. I look for the brand w/lowest carb content per serving. Fudge sickles sp? (sugar free) are a good cool treat also & lo in carbs.

I know I feel much better the past 1 1/2 yrs. that I've been doing lo carb. I can eat about 30 - 35 per day & maintain my present weight. My husband can eat about 40 -45 & maintain. Each person is different.

If you're looking for some good lo carb foods try your local health food store. Mine carries a large line of lo carb products, from bread to pasta to tortilla chips to cookies & brownies. Of course it is more expensive than regular stuff. I usually stick to the bread, pasta & tortilla shells. When we want a treat I'll get the tortilla chips or brownies.

Walmart also has some hi protein/lo carb nutrition bars that are a pretty fair price if you buy the box of 6. They have lots of flavors to choose from. They also sell lo carb candy bars, $.96 each, but have just started selling them in a box of 6 for a little better price.

I could go on & on but won't! lol Hope this helps you out. I think you'll find that if you get the right am't. of carbs for you, it will make you feel better overall. Let me know if it gets easier & if you feel better.

Take care.....Kathi
  7. chngthnmtoME

chngthnmtoME New Member

As a strict vegetarian- this includes no eggs and I avoid dairy- I have found enormous increases in my energy and stamina. I also lost weight and maintained it. It isn't the carbs that hurt- it's the type of carbs. Eating whole grains that are slowly absorbed into the system keeps blood sugar stable. I tend to go with many soy products, amaranth grain and anasazi when I am eating properly, and those are very good quality proteins, as is spirulina. I became a vegetarian for ethical reasons but found that my health improved so much that it was a good choice. NOTE- I was recently eating meat for an unrelated reason and by much pressure from an allopathic physician. I have gained 50 POUNDS (my thyroid has many problems), feel sicker, and have major yeast issues again. So I am back off of it. Some of us do feel better with a veggie diet (with no or little sugar- no soda and whatnot, but I do have gatorade and sports drinks). Good luck whatever eating plan you choose.