High risk for diabetes

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by nms91, Apr 29, 2011.

1. nms91

nms91 New Member

I recently found out I am at high risk for diabetes,this isn't sup rising as it runs in my family. I'm wondering what changes I can make in my lifestyle and my diet?
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

What many medical insurance companies are doing is offering classes for different medical ailments and one always is diabetes and that includes, meal plans, exercise, stress reduction, etc. My medical insurance company offers classes on diabetes, chronic pain, reduction of falling at home, and I forget some of the other classes.

Call your medical insurance company and ask them if they offer any of those classes and how you get into them--whether you require a referral from your primary care doctor (your family doctor) or if you sign up through the person you are talking to on the phone. Find out if there is any requirement (such as already having diabetes) in order to take the class, find out any costs, find out locations, find out how many classes are in the program and how long it runs and ask all your questions. Also find out if you miss any classes and the classes are free, if they assess you a charge.

Also find out if the medical insurance company offers discounts on any gym or workout places, because some medical insurance companies are offering help with workout costs because it works in conjunction with patients who need some exercise who have diabetes, arthritis, people who are past physical therapy from knee and hip replacements but want to continue working out, those that may be more sensitive to the heat/cold of being outside, patients who need to safely lose some weight, etc. Good luck.