High tolerance for meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wld285, Apr 11, 2007.

1. wld285

wld285 New Member

Hi....Just curious if any of you have a very high tolerance for meds. Am having a hard time getting anything to work for sleeping. Most people fall asleep on Benedryl, and I could take it during the day and not feel a difference.

Anyone have the same problem, or the fix for it?
    Linda
  2. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Especially to sleep meds.

My own fault as I kept upping the doses - actually it was my old doc's fault really. He didn't see what a mess he was getting me into.

Unfortunately sleep meds develop tolerance quickly - actually in me it took a while but once I had begun to build tolerance, things snowballed pretty quickly.

Now I am taking high doses of different sleep meds, cycling them to try to keep them working.

My doc wants me to reduce them but I find it terribly difficult due to rebound anxiety and insomnia.

From my experience, I would say from my heart - only use sleep meds *SHORT-TERM* and try natural things for sleep instead.

Options might be a relaxation CD, a magnesium/calcium supplement like the ZMA sold here, valerian etc.

Hope you sleep some tonight :)

Love Bunchy x
  3. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I have a high tolerance for all meds. What works on someone else doesn't work for me. It's very frustrating! I wish I had a fix for it so I'll be following this thread.

I've never been able to get more than 8 hours of pain relief out of those long acting narcotics like MS-Contin, Oxy-Contin and Opana ER. My current doctor and I keep getting into arguments over this. He is of the opinion that FM-ers need pediatric doses. What a joke!
  4. wld285

wld285 New Member

5. hear4now

hear4now New Member

My doctor has to call my sleeping prescriptions in seperately, because she claims no pharmacist would fill them all together. I have also noticed that I built up a tolerance, but when I cut back I don't sleep. Even with the elephant tranquilizers I take I still wake up 2-3 times in a 8 hour window.

Non-prescription stuff just doesn't work for me. I've taken as many as 12 Simply Sleep's at once and it just gets me a cat nap.
  6. craziC

craziC New Member

I have the same issue with sleep aids. Non-rx meds don't work at all. I've been through a number of different rx sleep aids and find I need to increase the mgs too quickly. Right now I take Restoril and I maybe get 4 hours of sleep. Sometimes less, sometimes more. It's very frustrating.
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Very high tolerance...always have had, even since my youth.

Don't know what to do about it...just the way it is. My doctors seem to understand.

Sue
  8. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

I'm sorry to hear about your sleep problems and the difficulties you have with meds.

If you are tired of trying pharmaceuticals that don't get at the root causes, cost a lot, and give you side effects and dependence, maybe you would be interested in looking into a new approach to treatment of CFS that gets at the root causes, is inexpensive, does not give you dependence, and which produces necessary detox of your accumulated toxins and infections as its effect. I'm not selling anything, and this is not a hoax. This is a new development, and I think it promises to be a cure for at least a major subset of PWCs.

If this sounds good to you, and you want to find out more, you could read my hypothesis papers, which can be found at

http://phoenix-cfs.org/GluAACFS04.htm

and

http://phoenix-cfs.org/GSH%20Methylation%20Van%20Konynenburg.htm

My treatment article, based on the above, can be found here:

http://phoenix-cfs.org/GSH%20Methylation%20Treatment%20Konynenburg.htm

Several people on this board have been trying the simplified treatment approach discussed in this article, with good results. Look for the threads that have "methylation" or "methyl" in their titles to see how they are doing. The treatment consists wholly of over-the-counter supplements, primarily a combination of certain active forms of vitamin B12 and folate. The cost can be as low as $2.50 per day, if you leave out the optional, most expensive supplement. You can buy the supplements wherever you find the best price. Nobody is getting rich off this.

There is another group doing the more complex treatment described there, at

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/CFS_Yasko/

This one is more expensive and more complicated, but some PWCs may need to do this, because of high toxic loads or special circumstances that make the simplified treatment too arduous for them, since it involves detoxing and can have unpleasant symptoms.

I hope this is helpful.

Rich
  9. Daisys

Daisys Member

Linda, I was in the same boat, using 4 different meds and still not sleeping. It's that alpha wave intrusion from having a revved up central nervous system.

Now I'm on xyrem, and getting good, deep sleep. It's a natural product, was sold in health food stores for years, and then found to be abused. Nowadays, it's a controlled substance for that reason.

I'm on the protocol that Richvank just posted about, and hope it does resolve the fatigue issues, but meanwhile the xyrem is helping me attain a measure of health by giving me the refreshing sleep we all need. At least I'm alert all day now, when before I woke up stiff and was in a stupor all day long.

I recommend reading the home site of xyrem, it's very informational.
  10. bunnyrabs

bunnyrabs New Member

daisys,

Did/do you have any side effects from xyrem, and if so, what were/are they?

I am finally going to be starting this medicine myself, and I am just trying to get some recent input as more and more fibro patients use start using this med.
  11. wld285

wld285 New Member

so much for that info. I am going away for a week, but when I return I will definately look into this. I feel like I will be a drug addict just to get some sleep.

Thank you all again, very much!
    Linda
  12. Daisys

Daisys Member

Linda, enjoy your trip!

Bunnyrabs, I have had very little trouble with this med. I titrated up slowly, giving my body time to get used to each dose, and then titrating up just a little. So, it was an investment of time without optimal sleep, but paid off.

Another important thing to do is make sure you're taking good supplements, especially magnesium (not oxide--malate is good, and others).

Actually, I recommend going to the Talk about Sleep narcolepsy board and read all the posts on xyrem. It's quite extensive, and nutritional support is discussed--I think potassium, magnesium, B vit.s, and maybe others are all thought to be needed for many who have side effects. I went back a few years and just read anything with xyrem in the title and learned quite a bit.

Have you gone to the home site? It really explains a lot.
  13. bunnyrabs

bunnyrabs New Member

Daisys,

What dose did you start out at? I am to start at 4.5ml x2. I am already on Dr. Teitelbaum's Energy Infusion, so it should cover a lot of the nutrients you mentioned. I eat really healthy as well so I should be somewhat prepared to deal with the changes brought about by deep sleep.

What is the sleep onset like? Is it basically like other sleep meds that make you drowsy and you fall asleep or is it a quick anesthesia-like effect?

I have read the talkaboutsleep boards for a while now. Lots of good info on there indeed, but I was hoping to get a perspective from fibro patients, as narcolepsy might present a different situation in terms of sleep changes, effects, side effects, etc., because even though both conditions involve lack of deep sleep, it is for different reasons.

[This Message was Edited on 04/12/2007]
  14. Daisys

Daisys Member

You are right, the two sleep disorders are totally different, but xyrem seems to work pretty much the same for both.

At 4.5ml x 2, I got very little sleep (3-4 hours altogether), but woke up more alert than when I was getting 10 hours a night before that. I continued to titrate up, staying at each dose until it felt comfortable, until I was at 8ml and 7ml and that's when I first starting getting 8 hours of sleep a night. Now I'm at 9, 7.5ml because I get more solid blocks of sleep. I still tend to wake up often, but find I can get back to sleep if I stay in bed. If I go up higher, my blood pressure goes up.

I also take Teitelbaum's infusion, but have added magnesium so that I take it every few hours. You may be surprised at how much magnesium you really need.

Sleep onset: It isn't a slow slide into drowsiness. You either go out so fast you don't know you went to sleep, or, if for some reason, the xyrem kicks in but you stay awake, you're in for an unpleasant experience. The one time xyrem failed me at a higher dose is when I took a supplement 2 hours before bed. I'm real careful to stop eating anything 4 hours before bed now!

Hope this helps. Start a thread with your experience, if you want, and I'll look for it--don't want Linda to come back to a thoroughly hijacked thread! :-D

[This Message was Edited on 04/12/2007]