High triglycerides???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Dec 15, 2005.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

My son had a blood test, and the nurse called at home to say he had high triglycerides. I am amazed- he is not overweight- actually, he's quite thin now. I think he needs more exercise and needs to drink more water. Any other suggestions?
    p.s. Hi s diet as of late has been low in fats and sugars and pretty healthy (because of his food allergies).
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I am bumping - sorry I can't help. Maybe there is someone out there that can!

Kelly
  3. Megumi

Megumi New Member

I went through a period of skyrocketing tri's, to the point where the dr was getting alarmed. I also wasn't overweight, was eating a healthy diet in fact to keep from gaining weight.

By chance I read the back of a lab report that listed possible causes and one of them jumped out at me...POTATOES! And I had been eating baked potatoes like crazy!!!

Don't know if this helps but hopefully, it will.

Megumi
  4. dononagin

dononagin New Member

triglycerites were over 500!!!! Horribly high! And he thought he was pretty healthy! The doc put him on Vytorin a cholestoral drug as his was so extreme but he is also taking fish oil tablets (Omega 3's, Flax seed oil capsules, and Niacin (make sure to get the flush free Niacin or he will think he's having hot flashes... ) All of these supplements can be found at walmart of your local drugstore and all help..
    Take care!
    dona
  5. catsmeow369mi

catsmeow369mi New Member

My tri was 547. I was happy at first cuz I thought that was the good ones. Of course it wasn't. The good one was 34. My dr. said something about my kidneys from the blood work. Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks for your help.

Val
  6. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Hi Alaska... My son was 18 mo. old when he got into some adult asperin. We took him to the hospital er and they ran blood tests to see how much had gotten into his blood stream.

The next day the doctors office called me and said..."your son's triglycerides are so high that they knocked the lab technicians off their stools"!!

He was just a baby of 18 months old!! HYPER-LIPIDEMIA is a condition that you are either prone to get or you are not. And YES... CARBOHYDRATES ARE THE KEY! A low carb diet is more important than a low fat. However, you should also lower the fats as well.

You may need to have periodic lipid panels done on your son... I did. Also you may have to put him on meds to bring the triglycerides down. But don't ignor this.. and don't feel guilty... it is not your fault either.. it is usually a genetic problem.

BUT DO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH HIS CARE!! It is important to get this in check for the sake of his future health. My son is now 35. He still needs to keep his triglycerides in check.

Remember, it is not whether you are fat or thin... young or old... it is what you are pre-disposed to at birth.. and it is a condition that can be controlled. Do get medical help so as to assure a healthy future for your son.

hope this helps.... CarolK
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

He really doesn't eat many carbs, but I'm going to follow up and see what else the doc says. We still haven't gotten the results back from his 24 hour urine collection. But I'm already making him drink lots of water, since he wasn't doing it.
  8. CarolK

CarolK New Member

HOW OLD IS YOUR SON?? And why do you think that drinking extra water will change this condition?? Extra water does not affect high fat levels in the blood stream. They used to do a test called..."lipo protein lecto foreses". That may be spelled wrong... but that was the test I had to do about every three months when we were monitoring my son's triglycerides.

If your lab tests come back with consistantly high triglycerides... then you will definately have to work on this from a diet standpoint and possibly some medication.

I encourage you to be diligent with all lab work... the consequences of having long term elevated triglycerides can be very serious to a persons health. I don't want to scare you, but do a google search on "high triglycerides" and find out what can happen to a persons health if the blood fats are left untreated.

Blessings to you Alaska.... CarolK
  9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

and has had CFIDS for 13 months now. I guess I was naively hoping that water would cleanse out toxins, but I think you're right. Obviously, you've been through this. We'll check with the doctor on what to do and if the levels are high enough to merit medication. His diet is pretty low fat, low sugar and he's lost 25 pounds over the past year (not trying to). p.s.
    Have a Merry Christmas!
  10. CarolK

CarolK New Member

AND YOU HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AS WELL!! YOU SOUND LIKE A GOOD MOM... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! OH YES... AND NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE HEALING POWER OF GOD TO TOUCH YOUR SON AND HEAL HIM OF EVERYTHING!

BLESSINGS... CAROLK