Higher BP and more energy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by mbofov, Apr 10, 2013.

1. mbofov

mbofov Member

Hi all - I’ve been having a strange experience off and on lately. Usually my BP is in the normal range, average around 120, and energy is fair unless crashed or sick or detoxing, still limited to 3-1/2 hours of light activity a day to avoid crashing.

Then some mornings I wake up and I feel sort of wired - and sure enough, my BP is up (e.g., I think it’s about 135 over something right now) and I have more energy. It is very strange, I don’t know why this happens. Unfortunately, I then often feel more tired the next day.

Monday I felt this way, higher BP, more energy, more alert but then slept 9-1/2 hours that night and was rather tired and dragging all day yesterday, although it was not a crash, and my BP was back down to 120 yesterday.

Today I woke up wired again, and my BP is up again. So I’m afraid tomorrow I will probably be extra tired. I also have to be extra careful not to overdo it when I’m feeling better than usual because of course I will then crash.

Does anyone know of anything which might cause this to happen? I can’t think of anything I’m doing differently. It’s sort of nice but at the same something feels off, the wired extra energy feeling with the higher BP doesn’t feel quite normal and I know I’ll pay a price for it later.

Does anybody know if benadryl might contribute to this? I took a whole benadryl in the middle of the night to make sure I got back to sleep quickly as I had to get up early for blood work.

Just realized it feels like adrenaline running through my body, but I have no anxiety, there's nothing particular on my mind, it happens before I've even touched any coffee or anything, I just wake up this way, but that would explain why I would be extra tired the next day. But I can't figure out why this is happening, it's relatively new for me and it's just intermittent.

Another CFS mystery!

Mary
    [This Message was Edited on 04/10/2013]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Had my MRI and there are no tears, just a bone spur irritating the larger tendon. I'm managing the pain until I can have surgery on May 14. I'll only be in a sling a week and it's being done arthroscopically--two tiny incision. I'll tell ya, I was doing my Happy Dance!

Thanks for your concern and good wishes.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Had my MRI and there are no tears, just a bone spur irritating the larger tendon. I'm managing the pain until I can have surgery on May 14. I'll only be in a sling a week and it's being done arthroscopically--two tiny incision. I'll tell ya, I was doing my Happy Dance!

Thanks for your concern and good wishes.

Love, Mikie
  4. mbofov

mbofov Member

Yay! Glad to hear there's no tears, though the bone spur does sound painful - but a week in a sling, piece of cake - happy dance indeed! :)

Mary
  5. mbofov

mbofov Member

Yay! Glad to hear there's no tears, though the bone spur does sound painful - but a week in a sling, piece of cake - happy dance indeed! :)

Mary
  6. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Benadryl raising the BP...

Since I have a BP issue for the last 10 yrs or so I wouldn't use it for me, but sounds like it can help you some... jam
  7. mbofov

mbofov Member

You could be right. I have read that Benadryl can raise blood pressure, but I don't think it would explain the increase in energy and alertness I have. I remember years ago Benadryl would leave me groggy and drugged feeling.

I looked up Benadryl and adrenaline and found some people saying that Benadryl, because it makes you sleepy, could counter or offset adrenaline surges.

And it doesn't happen every time I take Benadryl. I try not to take Benadryl unless I have to go to sleep as soon as possible because I have to get up at a certain time for something.

But I will try experimenting and see if this happens on nights when I don't take Benadryl -

Mary
  8. mbofov

mbofov Member

I thought of glycine because it's a relatively new supplement for me but hadn't looked into it. Well, I just did a little research and found that although it is primarily an inhibitory neurotransmitter (tends to calm you down), it does have mild excitatory properties as well. It is definitely helping with sleep but it may be doing something positive for my day time alertness as well. I'll have to read more about it - thanks for the suggestion!

Mary
  9. MicheleK

MicheleK Moderator

Hi Mary,

I experience this too though I do not feel more tired any days afterward that I have discerned as a pattern.

The autonomic nervous system handles our blood pressure. It also handles adreneline and countless other signals our brains send throughout our bodies. So your autonomic nervous system may be firing a bit differently on the days your blood pressure goes up a bit.

I have low blood pressure normally but ever since the Herpes family of viruses became reactivated my blood pressure has gone to the normal level or a bit above that. I can feel the difference easily as my symptom pattern will change.

Sometimes I feel like there is just a crazy guy up in my brain rolling dice all day!
  10. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Hi. I have problems with high cortisol episodes causing high blood pressure episodes. Maybe you are experiencing this too? We all do certainly have strange symptoms to deal with frequently. What triggers what? The high cortisol gives a person energy as well.
  11. deepak

deepak Member

This is not so surprising.

Recently at the docs my moms BP was 110/70 - the doc said she should halve her BP dose as nowadays the new thinking is that low BP also means low blood output or pumping or something like that - so he said he prefers it remains at 130-135 rather than 110 !

I think something related to this may be happening with you.

With love,
    deepak
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have to take BP meds or my BP is moderately high. When I've had to stop all my meds prior to, and during, my peptide injections, my energy has been much higher. My neighbor's doc told her that BP meds do make people less energetic but that that is desirable in people with high BP. Sounds a bit flaky to me.

My doc says my resting BP (teens-120's over 60's to 70's) is fine but that what he wants to see is 130's over 80's when I'm out and about. If I'm active at home, the systolic pressure will rise but the diastolic is still usually in the 70's. It's in the 80's at the doc's office because I have white-coat syndrome.

My pulse has been a bit high since I got sick and could no longer be the jockette I formerly was. I want to get to where I c an push my heart for about 20 mins. three times a week to try to get it down.When the peptide injections stopped my hypothyroidism, I had tachycardia until I stopped taking my Synthroid. I need to get to K-Mart to get a new watch I can wear in the pool and gives me my heart rate.

BTW, rule of thumb is to take 220 minus one's age. That is the maximum heart rate one should have during exercise. Eighty percent of that is the target heart rate to use for the 20 minutes of exercise. I have run in the shallow end of our pool to get to that rate. Running in water is great because of the water resistance and lack of pounding on the joints.

Love, Mikie
  13. mbofov

mbofov Member

Thanks for all your replies. I got sick suddenly yesterday (bad cold) and don't have the energy to respond to you all but will do so in a day or two. Actually yesterday I was feeling halfway decent again and then boom! this cold hit in a very short time.

But your replies are interesting and will respond more later -

Mary
  14. mbofov

mbofov Member

You're funny, "a crazy guy .. rolling dice all day"!

Well, I'm getting some blood work done which will show if I have active Herpes viruses, at least I think it will.

A little while ago a detox protocol my chiro gave me ended up causing severe insomnia, but also depressed my appetite and gave me extra energy. And I ended up afterward totally drained. I had to stop it. The energy was nice but the insomnia was killer and it felt like I was on a drug. It obviously did something to my neurotransmitter probably similar to a form of speed, although there was no euphoria.

My BP is usually in the "normal" range, 120 or 125, and I feel average then. But even after I stopped the HCL detox, my BP would occasionally just go up to 135 - 140, so something probably was raising cortisol or adrenaline or I don't know. And sometimes it's down in the teens and I have the least energy then. It is a crap shoot - I think there is a crazy guy! :)

Mary
  15. mbofov

mbofov Member

That's interesting - you could be right, it could be my cortisol just going up periodically. This is new for me so am not sure what's going on.

But I'm also having more problems with sleep now, another indicator of high cortisol. I've been taking glycine to help with sleep, and it did help for awhile, although then I've now read that it's both an inhibitory AND excitatory neurotransmitter, so am going to try cutting it out. I don't mind the higher BP episodes as I feel better, but they coincide it seems with insomnia, which I do mind.

Mary
  16. mbofov

mbofov Member

That's interesting what your mom's doc said, about low BP correlating to low blood output or pumping. There 's a theory re CFS that we have low blood volume.

Here in the U.S. if your BP is 135, that's considered borderline high. I know when my BP is around 110 (which it does sometimes) I have less energy. Although I have a sister who's BP is right around 100, and she has tons of energy. She doesn't have CFS.

I just don't know why my BP has started to do this. But have a few ideas, am going to play some more with my supps --

Hope you are doing okay-

Best wishes,

Mary
  17. mbofov

mbofov Member

It's too bad you have to take the BP meds! I know they made my mom tired, but her BP was close to 200, so she had to take them. Did you see Deepak's post about what his mother's doctor said - that he preferred to see BP in the 130-135 range? Have you tried taking your BP meds at night? That's what we did with our mom, hoping she'd get over the worst of the tiredness while she slept.

My pulse is usually on the low side and my BP usually in the "normal" range of 120 or so. But I feel better when it goes up to 135.

I can't exercise like you or I'm in the bed the next day. I love being in the pool but can only just float around and swim a tiny bit. If I "ran" for 20 minutes, I'd be in trouble.

Best wishes,

Mary
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My doc likes to see BP in the 130's over 80's when one is active. The 120's over 70's is resting BP. I have to take my BP med twice a day and a heart med at bedtime. I used to have to take three a day and that really knocked me out. It has improved and if I can lose some weight and exercise in the pool, I might be able to get it down to one a day. Unfortunately, I may have to have rotator cuff surgery; I'll find out on Fri., when I get my MRI.

Most strokes and heart attacks happen to people with only moderately high BP so it's really important to get it under control. The Cozaar I take at bedtime helps with the BP and also cuts the incidence statistically of strokes and heart attacks by 16 percent.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  19. mbofov

mbofov Member

Sorry to hear you might have to have surgery - keep us posted. If you have to have it, try to get started on PT as soon as possible after. My sister ran into trouble after shoulder surgery she had, when the doc kept her arm and shoulder immobile way too long, several weeks after surgery, and she ended up needing a 2nd surgery to cut away scar tissue. He as much as admitted his error when he told her several times and made sure that she started on PT almost immediately after the 2nd surgery.

I love swimming, wish I could do it! Good luck, hope you can get the BP meds lowered --

Best wishes,

Mary

20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I may be getting way ahead of myself but since the steroid injection didn't help, I'm guessing something is torn somewhere. I'm going shopping today to buy a few pairs of pull-on capri pants. The ones I usually wear have zippers and buttons. I remember when I had my arm fixed and pull-on is the way to go. On Fri. I will find out just how much mobility I will have to put on tops. I wear tee shirts with large neck holes so I think those will work.

From everything I've read, after rotator cuff surgery, it is necessary to keep the shoulder immobile for several weeks so the internal sutures don't cause more tearing. Then, the PT begins because the arm will have no strength. This is what happened to the other arm and it was immobilized for several months. Yikes! My doc tends to get his patients moving as soon as possible so I'll just do as he tells me.

I'll let y'all know. Thanks for your usual kindness. I appreciate it.

Love, Mikie