Highly sensitive people

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greenqueen, Jan 19, 2003.

1. greenqueen

greenqueen New Member

Along with everything else,I'm an HSP.Are there any more on this site?This particular blessing /curse can aggravate other problems.I'd like to hear how others are handling it.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My sensory overload has been greatly helped with the Klonopin. Probiotics have helped greatly with food sensitivities.

Love, Mikie
  3. little

little Member

I get my self in to more trouble with this. Sometimes I don't understand why I react the way that I do. I just can't keep up with all of the symtoms of this DD. When I heard about the sensory overload, that answered alot of questions. Gail
    [This Message was Edited on 01/20/2003]
  4. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I am a very highly sensative person. Something that is to be taken as a joke at times I feel is a put down. It is very flusteration. I am still looking to find something to help me. Sorry can't be of help to you but I am with you on it.
    Have a nice day.
    Joannie
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

that's me, too!
    Kady
  6. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I think it should be more like.....who ISN'T highly sensitve around here!

~LISA
  7. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Has really been helping me with this problem...being overly sensitive to people, comments, situations. (Hope this is what you are referring too)

I had a brain spect scan done a few months ago, was very interesting! There's actually a center in our brain that can become a "hot spot" for emotional over-reaction.

For me the area was the Deep Lmbic System...I was put on Depakote to "cool-off" this area to help balance out my reactions to the enviorment & people (some doctors call this balancing your moods swings...don't ya love it)

Anyway, so far (as skeptical as I was) this med has proven effective with no side effects so far..that I can tell. I have actually been catching myself smiling, happier and being more patient lately, not crying or over-reacting to situations as much (no drugged feeling either). I also take Wellbutrin for depression (been on that for years)...the two meds are for totally seperate issues.

I don't know that this is the answer for anyone else...but I think it's good to hear what different people are doing and that there IS something that helps. BTW: I have noticed I hardly need the Klonopin anymore. Haven't had a migrain since I've been on it either!

Susan B.

[This Message was Edited on 01/20/2003]
  8. coyote

coyote New Member

It makes me such a fun person to be around sometimes.
    My boss used to say that I needed to get a thicker skin.
    She was a pretty insensitive type herself.
    I feel that it makes losses and other painful things hurt more.
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I am also an HSP. I think if more people were like us, things would not be so awful in the world, because we get so upset that most of us DO something about it...write a letter, make a call, do volunteer work, whatever. Normals just say "oh well, it's got nothing to do with me", and go on their merry way. I resent the way we HSP's are put down as being "thin-skinned". Does anyone here think Jesus would have valued being thick-skinned and turning away when we see things that are wrong?
    However, the world is full of the thick-skinned, and they are what this society values. Due to that, I am now taking Neurontin, because my over-reactions are bad enough to cause a stroke if I don't get them controlled. I think a healthier solution would be to move out in the woods, but alas, my hubby's job is not portable.
    From one HSP to all the others...I think you're great!
    Hugs,
    Klutzo
  10. greenqueen

greenqueen New Member

You sound like you might be an HSP.If you're interested,there's a book called The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N. Aron,Ph.D.You can also go to Google and do some research.Just type in Highly Sensitive People.There's a test on one of the sites you can take to determine if you are.Most true HSP's have had things going on all their life that was hard to explain.It's simply(and not so simply)a case of having a different sort of nervous system.You're born with it.
  11. greenqueen

greenqueen New Member

You're right on with that attitude.Watch out for that Warrior class,tho.
  12. dorothy

dorothy New Member

emotionally intuned..... to everything.......

know what I mean

Hugs
    Dorothy
  13. Jennet

Jennet New Member

Hi greenqueen,

yes I can relate to all what you have said. I too have lived this life since a child. I have Fybromyalgia and since I have had it I have become aware of how this is a Spiritual Dis- Ease. Many people do not understand how this condition works. I myself lived a very high profile life always buzzing around and never stopping. I intended to stop one day and do all the things I ever wanted. Meditate, Tarot, having my own space and sanctuary. This is a spiritual dis-ease. [I sometimes think some people are chosen for this condition and I am not a loony by saying this. Also I think you are born with a pre-dispostion to this conditon I recognise the synmptoms from within my childhood]

It makes you sort out your priorites in life including people who are toxic to your life. It may take years to stop being around people even family who invade your space and over step your boundaries time and time again.

I hope you understand this
    Love and light
    Jennet
  14. pamela

pamela New Member

I am very sensitive to anything around me. It being... said, done, noise, light, intuition, chemical or whatever realted. Been this way all my life but now its much more so. Pammy
  15. LindaW

LindaW New Member

What you said about toxic people is so true- I had to leave my family. I haven't spoken or seen them in 7 years. They are poison to me. I am 54 now, and it has taken me all this time to realize this. God has given me a wonferful husband and a beautiful daughter. There are times that I do wish I had an extended family, but they are really bad for me. With this illness I need to eliminate anything that I can, that does not help me.
  16. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I am very sensitive too but I also believe we have a heightened sense of awareness. I also wander sometimes if our bodies our picking up on all the strife in the world and we are feeling it as pain. Did you know that there are people that can predict earthqakes very accurately by pain they`ll have in their body or severe headaches.It`s pretty interesting.
    Jennett, I`m interested in what you said about this being an spiritual di-ease. Could you explain that more?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2003]
  17. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Klutzo, I did move to the country! I think that is one of the reasons I am sooooo much better than I was when I lived in the city. Hope you get to do make that move someday too.

Also got all the 'toxic' people out of my life. Its worth the price of Caller ID, and living in the boonies too.

I am still very HSP, but am not stimulated with so many wrong kind of people these days. I am very careful choosing people who I do associate with now.

I am as bad as my Pit Bull, when I get something in my head, its very hard to let go of it. So I learned to leave those people who do stress me, out of my line of though!

I do have racing brain syndrome, so I don't need anything to stimulate this. I can rewrite history everytime I lay down at night.
    My mind is just racing like a jet plane for no reason, except for Xanax, ZMA, Melatonin I would not sleep like I used to be all my life before finding this combination to shut my mind down at bedtime, during the day I can rerout my thoughts.

I love where I am, its quiet, isolated, full of wild animals, and my five dogs. I am a happy camper living like this. Even my husband is gone for weeks at a time with his job. That also makes us get along much better than if he were here everyday.

Yes, I also get those premonitions of impending disaster, but I will pray them away. They are terribly disturbing to me and I have no interest in fortelling the future! Its enough to live in the present.

Shalom, Shirl

18. mewa

mewa New Member

Hello - I an new to message boards but couldn't help reading your message on sensitive people with FM.

For years I have been researching FM and other environmental illnesses and have come to the conclusion that yes, the greater majority are highly intelligent with sensitivities that go beyond the "norm".

It is possible that through environmental chemicals being added to our lives, we have gone through a change brought about by the poisons introduced to our envionment. this includes the poisons of being affected spiritually by those who would not understand us and would place upon us the negativity of their own ways.

I recently read a book titled "Indigo children" which was a real eye opener. It mentioned ADD in it also. I would highly recommend this book to others who are caregivers of children and who would like to look into a mirror!

I believe that we are victims of our own sensitivities and of course it takes a trauma or something else to "activate"
    the FM disease.

I could go on forever, but will close with a prayer that all FM people will soon find a concrete solution and reverse the damage done by this influencing disease.

In Love and Light. Mewa from Canada.
  19. bejo

bejo New Member

I didn't know they had a name for it though.I read in the replies where to look HSP up and plan on doing it,hopefully tonight.One reply said people call her the seer,my husband always called me weird!Two of our children have this too.I pick up things from people but also if I go into a strange house I can pick up happy,sad,etc.I'm not sure whether to call it a blessing or not.If someone is talking to you but thinking bad things about you,you will pick up those feelings.It seems that there a lot of on this site.Nice to know I'm not alone.LOL
    bejo
  20. nancyw

nancyw New Member

just noticed your message. Are you talking about emotionally sensitive? If so, wow, I'm your gal. Always been "different" from my very practical family. Always want to help others, but don't real keen on helping myself. If I'm correct, do you have other information this? I would be stunned if it's true because that would explain my ENTIRE life!!!