Hints needed to help quit smoking.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ggks, Aug 6, 2005.

1. ggks

ggks New Member

Please help. I need advice on what can I eat to help with the craving. Are there any vitamins that help? How did you kick the habit without going mad.
    ggks
  2. robin1nc

robin1nc New Member

hi

Im quiting now too. What im doing is drinking alot of water and avoiding the things that i smoked alot doing. Like the computer. Im also sucking on hard candy, but i need to find something else.

hope this helps
    robin
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I quit 21 months ago.

I used the nicotine gum, which really helped me. Whenever I had the urge I would wait, five minutes, and see if it was still there. Usually not. I could move on to something else then.

It also helped me to change my morning routine. I drank no coffee, and would not sit at the kitchen table to read the paper. When I went out at night, I chewed my gum and 'fiddled' around with a straw.

I am still so tempted, from time to time. It feels good to know I was able to control IT, instead of It controlling me!

I will admit, I have had a few puffs over the 19 months. It has never made me want to smoke again. Now it tastes hideous!

Good luck! It is such a difficult thing to quit. I am rooting for you!

Kim

4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I quit 12 years ago, using the nicorette gum. It worked very well for me, took the edge off so I didn't feel like killing someone.

I had tried to quit for 10 years before I finally made it. I read a very good book which said to find your gut reason for quitting, no matter what it was, and mine was fear of smoker's wrinkles. Thinking about lung cancer just made me want a cigarette.

My mom told me that a big motivation for her to quit was fear of embarrassment. She thought that if she did come down with lung cancer from smoking, she would be too embarrassed to face people, which I could identify with.

One other thing I did was every day and every night before going to sleep for 3-4 weeks before I quit, I told myself all the positive things that would happen to me when I quit. I exaggerated, but just kept repeating it -- that I would feel so good, I would have so much energy, I would look good, my eyes would be clear, etc. etc., anything I could think of that sounded good, and so by the time my quit day rolled around I was actually looking forward to it. That helped enormously, and the nicorette gum got me over the rough patches.

It also helped to remember that I wasn't born smoking. It sounds strange, but I had smoked for so long (27 years) it felt like I was losing part of myself when I quit, and I had to consciously tell myself that cigarettes were not my friend.

Go easy on coffee, avoid alcohol and other triggers for a cigarette.

You have to really present a united front to yourself -- decide you are quitting and nothing will change your mind -- because part of you will try to get you to smoke because quitting is unpleasant. So the affirmations really did it for me, and the gum too.

I hope this helps --

Mary
  5. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I know too many people that have died from it, been sick from it (cancer) and I really really hope you kick the habit. I'm saying prayers for you. I don't know how to phrase this to not sound like a Mom but I'm really proud of you for trying!!
  6. chickadee

chickadee New Member

After smoking for 50 years, it has now been 101 days, 12 hours and 13 minutes since I smoked a cigarette!

It is helping to tell myself that I haven't quit, I'm just on a break and that when I am 85 years old, I can smoke again. (Or if I am diagnosed with a terminal illness, then I will smoke if I want to).

This little bit was the psychological help that I needed but I've not figured out how to not eat everything in sight yet!

Good Luck to you.

Chickadee
  7. dverre

dverre New Member

I was hynotized and it worked suprisingly enough. Dont know how but it did and it will be 1 year Sept 9th.

Good luck
  8. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I ate pumpkin seeds.They kept me busy so I did not crave a butt. I smoked for 38 yrs.
    I ate tons of pumpkin seeds. Hubby would bring them home for me .He was happy to buy them instead of the cigarettes.
    Good luck to you its been 6 months for me. I will never go back to smokings.I need to be around for my grandchildren. They need to grow up with there Nana.
    Good Luck.
    Sue
  9. tonakay

tonakay New Member

after smoking 30 years. That was three and a half years ago. I carried lemon head candy with me every where I went for a couple of months.

Good luck, you CAN do it!
    Tona
  10. davebhoy

davebhoy New Member

every time i feel like a cigarette now i remind myself of all the bad things it brought, taste the horrible taste in my mouth and remind myself why i wanted to quit in the first place. then i think of somehting else while reminding myself that the urges dont last.

if you try and do it every time you feel like a cig it does work - the cravings come less frequent. i gave up about a month ago and havent found it difficult at all. in the past its been a nightmare. i now no longer feel like a smoker - i cant even imagine wanting to smoke.
  11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I was a night smoker, didnt smoke til after 7pm but could smoke 10 cigs a night.

What I did was I pretended to smoke - I had an 'invisible' cig in my fingers, I lit it, I inhaled, I blew the smoke out, I tapped the ash into an ashtray and then I eventually put it out. This really helped me, I still had the action of smoking with no cigarette.

I did this every night for a few weeks then didnt need to do it anymore.

I also put my cigarette money away and bought books at the end of the month, I did this until I didnt want to smoke anymore, it was an incentive to stop.

Good luck, I stopped wheezing when I stopped smoking and I saved money.
  12. ggks

ggks New Member

Thank you all for the wonderful hints. Some I would never have thought of like pretending to smoke. I think I will try as many as I can. Wish me luck. ggks
  13. chipnchia

chipnchia New Member

Two of my daughters and I are quitting this weekend. Friday is our last day to smoke.

I've smoked about 3/4 a pack a day for the last 30 years -- it scares me thinking about not smoking.

But what's scaring me more are a couple things -- my beautiful grandchildren watching me damage myself

and

afraid of getting lung cancer and having to see all the "I told you so" looks in people's eyes.

Wish us luck!

Chipnchia (Karen)
  14. icare

icare New Member

I used to smoke when i was a teenager, but after a few trys i quit...Was smoking over a small pack a day..
    I feel for you, it got to be the hardest addiction to overcome..A guy told me once that he had been addicted to alot of drugs like Cocaine, alcohol, ect and the Smoking was the hardest to try and stop.Im am not sure if he ever did stop..
    But people do, i have seen guys that smoked for 40 yrs quit and never pick one up again., but they started having some health issues.
    Hopfully you can stop before it leads to something worse than Fibromyalgia and as we know there are much worse diseases.
    MY Mom died of Lung cancer in 1997, it was very painful for her and everyone to see someone you love slowly being wasted away.If i was smoking at that time, seeing my Mom would have scared me enough to quit.
    Visit a Cancer clinic,it may give you the wake up call you need to say, enough is enough.
    I cannot stand to be around anybody that smokes, and once you stop you will feel the same way.

Dana Reeve only 44 yrs old was just diagnosed with having Lung Cancer she is taking treatments now.
    Not sure if she smoked or not, but only 4 people out of 10 make it passed the first year and the second year it only 2 out of 10 people.
    I wish you luck and strength

Rick
  15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I smoked when we lived in San Mateo, CA. I had to drive on the freeway about 20 miles to go to work and that was one of my favorite times to smoke.

One night on the way home, on the freeway, I was wearing a coat that had brushed lambs wool down the front. My ash fell on it and caught it on fire! I frantically started brushing it with my hand and it went out very quickly. I threw the cigs out the window and never picked up another one!

By the way, burning lambs wool smells really bad!

Hugzz!
    Greenbean
  16. mythree

mythree New Member

You know, 30 minutes ago I was on my couch thinking about smokeing and how bad I want to quit. Yesterday there was a special on about Peter Jennings and Barbara Walters said she herself had smoked and quit many years ago and my 6 year old (who you'd think wasnt' listening to this) turned and looked at me and said if she can quit, so can you. I keep on keeping on everyday for my three children because, they didn't ask for a mommy with pain. I quit my job because the pain was so intense at the end of the day I was so ill and hateful to them by the time I got them to bed at night I was ashamed of the way I had treated them but,I could not work and handle everyday life. I thank God for them because if I didn't have them I would have no reason to get out of bed on a daily basis. I thought it's sad I do all of this for them and my biggest fear in life is them living without me. I still can't quit smokeing for THEM. I thought what is it gonna take? Then I read this post and once again I am not alone

Thanks this site has been God sent for me
    Jackie