hip & leg pain anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kar1953, Apr 8, 2003.

1. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I was wondering if anyone else has such aching & pain in the hips & legs. Is so what do you do to releive it? It started from the knees down to my toes & now is from the hips to my toes. It gets worse as the day goes on & by evening I'm in some real nasty pain. Any ideas?

Thanks for any ideas.

Good health.........Kathi
  2. KayL

KayL New Member

Kathi, I have it, from lower back, hips, thighs, knees, and calves. My hips are the absolute worst. And if you find something that helps it, I'd love to know!

I do stretching exercises every day, sometimes that helps a little. However, when I try to treadmill, that just makes it so much worse.

I take Lortab for the pain and Soma for the muscle spasms. Sometimes heat will help.

Karen
  3. Nikki

Nikki Member

Something that helped my leg pain tremendously during the day was Women's Support Knee Highs. Among other things, I suffer from tendonitis and shin splints on a daily basis. I ordered the hose from a well known travel supply site on the internet because my husband and I had planned our dream vacation to Italy (this past Feb,prior to my dx of FMS). I was very fearful of the long plane ride and the very real possibility that I would not be able to keep up with everyone on this trip. I did so well with the support hose on the plane that I ended up washing and wearing them every single day for 2 wks. (+ thick socks and my hiking boots). I firmly believe the support knee highs were a God send. We did lots of walking every day, and I was quite surprised how well I was able to handle it. Altho I still had pain, it was tolerable. I also took Lorcet (1/2 of a 7.5 mg tablet 3x/day. The stretching exercises are a must, too (3x a day if possible . . . but at least once EVERY day no matter how tired, no matter how painful). And every night I soaked in a hot tub. I even had less hip pain . . . since my legs weren't hurting as badly, I didn't have as much stress on my hips. I know this sounds like an over simplification, but if you haven't tried it . . . it might be worth while.

Best of Luck to you,
    Nikki
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I've had a terrible week of hip/leg pain!!! I have it right this moment! I notice its worse the more I do,so like someone else above mentioned....by 4-5pm I'm really achin!! Mine starts in the hip area,only one side(left),but if I don't get off my feet and rest,it'll start to go into my leg.I even get a limp from the pain!!Does anyone else get this bad??I wonder if I have some arthritis starting there??or if its just another joy of FM!
    Its a aggravating pain,sometimes very dull,others times intense! The hot baths help me somewhat.And my heating pad.(can't live without that thing!!)
    Take care~
    Regards,
    Tracey
  5. jka

jka New Member

my hips and lower back become so painful i can hardly walk or sleep.i've found using emu oil with,msm,aloe and menthol really help. there's a couple of places here in oregon you can get it.it also works well on my knees.let me know if you want info on where to get it.

kathy c
  6. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I noticed almost everyone that responded had the pain start in the late afternoon. Same with me. I soak in a hot bath every night. Some nites it helps, some not. Never tried bath salts. What is the benefit? And do the salts dry out your skin? Mine's dry enough already. Someone just told my husband (she has FM too) to use my TENS unit & put the electrodes on the sciatica? spell?? on your lower back & it helps with the hips. I use heating pad often, too.

I don't know about the flexeril & a hot bath - the other night I fell asleep in the tub. With flexeril I might relax too much & drown! :) Good thing I'm tall & can't slide under!!

Thanks again for your ideas. If I come up with anything else I'll be sure to let you know. Sometimes I feel like such a big baby, but boy does it hurt.

Good health........Kathi
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2003]
  7. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

to mention that I do stretching several times a day. Every morning for sure before I can get out of bed.

Also, Nikki, the support hose sound like a great idea. Think I'll give them a try. Can't hurt, right?

Kathi
  8. Laura62

Laura62 New Member

Hi..

Same here..and always in the afternoon and when I'm trying to sleep.

Now it's in my upper arms and hands too.

I went to the doc once, but my bloodwork came back normal.

Since I don't like doctors and I don't like pills...and after everything I've researched and read here...well there is no cure, and nobody seems to be getting much relief!...I really don't want to go back to any more doctors or have any more tests done!!!!

I do however want the researchers and docs to get more awareness out there...maybe more funding into finding an answer...so...I've started writing letters...I've copied excerpts from here (deleting all personal info) excerpts from research info...and written a short plea...then forwarded it to various health conferences, medical research facilities, various friends/relatives who have affiliates in newspapers, a good friend who has a contact at UCLA medical center (although in a different field of medical research)...and even Oprah Winfrey.

Alas, I don't know if this will do much good...but I felt better after doing it (smile)

It beats sitting around feeling achy and frustrated...which is where I was heading...

Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2003]
  9. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Hips and knees, legs too, mostly in the afternoon. If I'm not careful and overdo it it hurts so much I can't fall asleep without pain meds. Gaui helped and my pain was greatly lessened but I just went through an awful 2 month reversal where the pain was worse than it has ever been. Hopefully now it gets better from here. I take plain uncooked rice, put it in a clean sock, microwave it and have a cheap heat pack. Feels REALLY good. My husband knows I'm hurting when he sees me covered with my rice socks. Good luck.
    Tibbie
  10. jgckeyes

jgckeyes New Member

My legs are burning the minute I wake and then comes the aching--the burning goes away but then the aching is just magnafied. What to do-I have no idea. I just hope and pray that the medical field will become educated about all this hurting stuff and help us. I am so tired of not feeling good and hurting. I do the hot showers(I don't have a tub-bummer)the heating pad always stays on. It feels better while the heat is on but who can do that all day?
    thanks, jenny
  11. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I have noticed others on this message board talk of Gaui. I don't know what it is. Give me a clue?

Thanks.......Kathi
  12. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I have been considering getting a heated mattress pad. My doc suggests it. He also says to keep your bedroom warm - at least 70. Then turn it down during the day. I tried that but is too warm for us. We manage at about 65 degrees. Wonder if the heated pad comes with dual controls? My hubby is the hottest blooded male alive - hates it warm.

Thanks again all.......Kathi
  13. tandy

tandy New Member

the heated mattress pads do have dual controls,with the queen size or bigger(if they even have king??not sure) I seen them in the JCpenny big book~ I'd love one!!! I"ll get me one someday~ For now i use my heated throw all the time!!! I don't know what i'll do in the summer,my heat feels so good on my achey body! have a restful night`
    Regards,Tracey