Hip pain? Check your desk chair

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

I've had pain in my right hip on and off for years, aggravated by sleeping on it for at least part of the night. (I can't sleep on my left side.) Earlier this year it got so bad that it kept me awake at night. Hip pain was the last thing I thought about at night and the first thing I thought about in the morning.

Then I stumbled upon the information that contoured seats on desk chairs (most of them have contoured seats) can trigger hip joint pain. I took a look at my desk chair. Sure enough--it was contoured, with the sides slightly higher than the center. I temporarily replaced it with an antique straight-back chair to see if that made a difference. It made a HUGE difference!

I'm still looking for a reasonably priced desk chair with a flat seat, but they're hard to come by. Meanwhile, I've filled in the center section of my contoured seat with a folded towel, and that's helped a lot. My hip is tender, but most of the time it isn't actually painful anymore.

If you Google "hip pain" and the word contoured, you should get results that include a website called Sound Feelings. That's where I first read about the connection.

Hope this helps.

Suze
  2. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Please let us know when you find a chair you like. I need one! I agree that the sculpted seat can hurt and you have to be sitting in them just the way you should to begin with.

I had a very expensive one that was deeply sculped and sold to me as a cure for what ails me. . .grrrrrr . . .

That said I do feel that a good cushioning and a chair that gives -- you know how desk chairs can give a little when you put weight on them? -- are important for a lot of us.

Thank you for bringing this up and do let us know what you find!