Hip pain when walking and at rest?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kytriplets, Apr 5, 2006.

1. kytriplets

kytriplets New Member

I'm new to the FM world and I have a question. My daily source of terrible pain involves the sides of my hips. One side is worse than the other. It aches when I'm at rest, sitting. It REALLY hurts when I'm standing or walking.

Sometimes I wonder if it bursitis instead of FM on my hips. Does anyone else have bad hip pain when walking and at rest?
  2. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

The FM is worse on my right side. Some say their left or all over. Yes, my hips hurt sooo bad especially if I sit in one place too long. They also hurt if I do too much in my water arobics class or walk too far. If I didnt before, welcome to the board.

Suzette
  3. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Is where my troubles started. I cannot lay on it, lean on it or anything without pain. And I've had all the tests done, XRays, MRI's and they (doctors) have found nothing, so they say nothing can be done. Also when walking my left hip makes this terrible popping sound and has been known to slip slightly out of place, but of course "nothing is wrong"... you'll find that you hear that alot in the coming years of dealing with fibro... or atleast I have heard that alot. I do hope it's different for you.
    Also, my mom has fibro and her hips are where most of the pain is too, tender to the touch, same thing... pain when walking, sitting, laying down... doesn't matter what she does, it still always hurts.

I have found with my left hip, that an ice pack does work to calm it down on occassion. Heat only makes it worse. Maybe try that to see if it helps the pain. Hope you feel better soon!

hugs,
    shananegans
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

unfortunately I'm in the same boat with hip pain. Sometimes my left side is worse, but often they both hurt equally. I had a couple of nights recently when I woke up and my hips were really hurting along with my bottom. I have an implant in my left cheek (not the one on my face), and sometimes the left cheek just really aches.

I've gone back on my Lyrica and it seems to be helping with the hip and bottom pain. The past two nights I've slept through the night.

Ellen
  5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Got the arthritis in my feet stabilized with proper footwear - now my hips ache as well.

The problem with FM is that to us, it really feels like an inflammatory reaction. Trouble is when you image the area concerned, clinical findings may be normal.

It rots.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  6. fowlerfab522

fowlerfab522 New Member

Yes, I have had hip problems since I was a kid. Of course I did not know why and with each pregnancy it was terrible. I actually ended up on crutches and a wheelchair with the last pregnacy. I was in a car wreck in Dec. 05 and since then I cannot get my hip pain undercontrol or at least back to where it was before.
    Going to PT but I am not sure it is helping.

7. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Yes, I have terrible hip pain, my right side is much worse then the left it got worse awhile ago when I was going for a walk. The doctors thought the pain in my hip and down my leg was from a herniated disc in my back. but even with all the treatments, spinal injections and medicines I did not get any better. Now they say I have a problem called CRPS Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome. My leg and foot turn bright red and are in a lot of pain. It is something to do with the sympathetic nervous system, they are talking about doing sympathetic nerve block or a spinal stimulator.

The doc did think I had bursitis too, but ruled it out after giving me an injection in my painful hip of Lidocaine and something else I can not remember, but it did not help me, made things much worse for a couple days.

So be careful, could be FM but also could be something else.

Take care
    kgangel
  8. tngirl

tngirl New Member

It is somewhat better than it used to be now that I am trying to get some exercise and do stretches. I have a couple of stretching exercises that really help my hips.

It is so bad I could cry sometimes when I wake up but I can usually take a hot shower and do some stretches and it gets better or goes away during the day.

I do have hip pain at night and usually have to lay on my back instead of my side.
  9. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Sometimes it's the most relentless pain I have. I have to constantly roll from one side to the other when I'm "trying" to sleep, because each hip can only endure so much pressure..

They hurt everyday and I describe the pain to others as I feel like I'm on a big skewer- I'm a pain Ka-bob!
    Or, it feels like an ice pick in my hips.. yuck..

I can honestly say, I feel your pain...

:(

Zzz
  10. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

kYTRIPLETS, well i have this trouble and go to a chirapractor..when i walk i would hurt in my hips and pain..after the accident..with the fibro it got worse and my dr has hope me out alot. I dont have the pain anymore. I am sorry u r having this pain. I hope this helps.
  11. Nikki

Nikki Member

Please see your dr. I have FMS, but was also dx'd w/bursitis. An injection in each hip helped me tremendously. I got some relief almost immediately . . . and it took about 10 days to reach the full benefit of the injections.

So sorry about your pain, but if you have bursitis, you may get some relief from the injections. My pain had gotten so bad, I hardly cared what the dr. did to me. The injections are not nearly as bad as the hip pain. On a scale of 1-10, I would rate the injections about a 2-3.

Hope you feel better. Take care.

Nikki

12. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I have bursitis in my hips and this sounds very much like my pain. It could be the FM or busitis, as the tender points for FM just happen to be right over the bursa of the hips!! I know, could this be any more confusing?? It wouldn't hurt to get an x-ray and see.

Julie
  13. scruffysmom

scruffysmom New Member

HI Ky: Not a fun club to be in, but there are alot of us. Hip pain is how my fms started 10 years ago and is still with me, sorry to say. I've had all kinds of injections, but none have helped. The ONLY thing that keeps my hip somewhat flexible is gentle, stretching yoga. If I don't do it, even for a week, I am back to square one with the hip stiffness. Please try this to see if it helps.
    Hope you feel better.
    scruffysmom
  14. jake123

jake123 New Member

I MADE my doctor xray my hips one time and they were perfectly all right but very painful - that was ten years ago. He said it was the FM or bursitis. I declined the shots. Ten years later, here I am hurting hips, sometimes bad and sometimes better.
    My neurologist says that my body pain is RSD. I don't know.
  15. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

The hip pain is pretty much my worst pain...and it moves into the muscles in my bottom, too.
  16. marilynb

marilynb New Member

my right hip hurts me quite a bit. My Rheumy had me get some xrays & it showed arthritus (I also have FM)& he said he could give me an injection to see if it is bursitus, but I told him I would wait a while to see if it got better. So far, I still hurt. He said there's only 2 ways to see if it is bursitus, either an MRI (which costs a lot of money) or an injection. He said if the pain goes away after the injection, then it is bursitus.

If it doesn't let up soon, I will probably try the injection.

Sure hope you find out what it is & get some relief.

Marilyn
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2006]
  17. marilynb

marilynb New Member

My bottom hurts a lot too. Even at the bottom, where my legs start. I wonder if it's from walking or sitting?
    Probably both, I would assume...

Marilyn
  18. sues1

sues1 New Member

At one point it was about the worse of my pains,,,,,,,new Rheumy (new then) gave me an injection in both hips..

It was not as bad as I thought it would be....not at all....he orders extra thing long needles he says......for this ,,,,and it goes in effortly.

Now the hips do not hurt.....I can hardly believe it.....oh I can feel a dull ache to them here and there but nothing compared to the intense pain that I had.....Susan
  19. chickabee

chickabee New Member

I also have hip pain. Had it before being diagnosed with FM. I have osteoarthritis, and sciatica so that is another thing that makes my hips worse after walking or sitting.

Have you told your Dr. about this? Had any tests done? It could be bursitis also.

Hot showers helps the hip pain, but once I get out of shower, it comes back, so I use an ice pack and it numbs the pain.

I have tried BioFreeze, and that helps with the pain also.