Hip pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sueliza, Jan 6, 2006.

1. sueliza

sueliza New Member

My symptoms began about 1 1/2 yrs ago when I hurt my back. Since that time I have had tender spots above the sacroiliatic joint and to the sides of my hips that hurt to the touch. Lying on the floor to stretch or do crunches is extremely painful.
    Over the last month I have noticed my hips hurting a little more and now this week the pain is terrible. It is a burning aching pain that goes from the buttocks around the side of my hip and down towards the front of my thigh. Sleeping on either side is impossible.
    I finally went to a dr. yesterday (my regular dr was out until monday so I saw someone new) he was wonderful. He spent more time examining my tender points, including the ones in my shoulders and neck than my regular dr ever has! He told me the pain is coming directly from the hip joints and prescribed skelaxin, percoset (shocker - I hadn't even asked for a pain killer), told me to take motrin and ice the areas. The pain is still really bad today, but I am hoping for some relief soon.
    I had x-rays of my hips a few months ago and everything looked fine. Is this related to the fibro? He also asked the last time I had been tested for RA. Has anyone had similiar pain and how did you treat it?

Thank you!
    Sue
  2. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I also suffer from low back & hip pain, that continues down the front of my thigh. I took a hard fall on my right hip 5 years ago & my lower back & hips have been giving me problems since. Now I have good days & bad days. My neck & shoulders are usually my primary problems, but when my low back & hips are flared up I am in misery. I am a side sleeper, and when you can't get comfortable on either side - so much for sleep!

Now I just chalk it up to fibro pains & aches. The advice the dr gave you looks good to me!! Have you tried a chiropractor? If your hips, or spine is out of alignment that could cause a lot of pain too.

Good luck & Take care,
    Leanne
  3. auntiemame

auntiemame New Member

I just got the diagnosis of osteoarthritis.....in my right hip. Lower back and knee; all on the same side. 7 weeks of horrible pain.

That all set up what I am guessing is a FM flare of flu-like symptoms and pain.

Yesterday is the first time I heard this new information. I am trying to figure out what to do now. FM requires ONE set of actions, after internet research ---realize that the osteoarthritis requires another.

So my symptoms were/are exactly like yours......
  4. sueliza

sueliza New Member

Auntiemame I am sorry to hear of your pain. My dh has osteoarthritis in his knee and there does not seem to be much to do until he gets a replacement. He has gotten the Hyalgan shots which he said do help. Hope you get some relief soon.
    Leann - thank you for the response. Sleeping is the worst! I am getting ready to sit down with some ice again now - hopefully it will help some. The burning pain is the worst.

Oh, and I did go to a chiro this summer for neck pain and it definitely helped. They are the ones who did all the xrays. maybe some of their heat therapy would help...

Thanks,
    Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2006]
  5. Geechie

Geechie New Member

and have hip pain on both sides. I know what you mean about sleeping! I put a sofa pillow on the bed and sleep on my back with my knees & lower legs on the pillow - it helps. The rheumatologist said this is bursitis and has put shots in both sides on several occasions with varying success. Ice helps this a lot. The heating pad feels a lot better, but the ice works!

It is a miserable thing.
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have lower back pain, and hip pain like yours. I was dx with bursitus a few years ago, and I have flares now and then although it always hurts to lie on the left side but can on my right (in bed, that is). Heat usually helps as last night, the pain woke me up several time and I replaced the heating pad and was able to sleep again.

I really don't know what it is, but it isn't arthritis as the hip xrays show no problems at all. My back has some arthritis, but not a lot. So...FM? A little of all? Probably. I do have Vicodin and do take one each morning and usually later in the day...seems to help keep me moving.

I hope you are feeling better. Some things just don't have clear answers and I'm afraid my hip/back/leg pain is one of those things. At least, nothing degenerative is going on. That is one bright spot.

Hugs,
    Sue
  7. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Hi Sue- I have pain in my right hip and it has been worse
    since summer. Lately when I can't sleep I make a fist and
    lay on my back putting the fist at the right side of the
    tailbone. For some reason this gives me relief for awhile
    from the pain and I can get back to sleep. My massage therapist says to put a tennis ball in a sock to work the tight muscles in my back (that's the reason I tried it in the first place). You put the tennis ball on the muscle
    and lean against the wall and move up/down and back/forth.
    Just don't work it too much.
    My doctor says many fibro patients have painful hips. She didn't offer pain meds, but she knows that they make me feel sick anyway.
    Hope this helps.
    Nanna
  8. Some nights and days I feel like I will lose my mind with the hip pain, especially lately, and nothing seems to help.