Hip Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Betty50victor, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Any one out there having severe hip pain, making it very hard to walk? If I walk for longer than 1/2 hr or so I'm shot for the remainder of the day. My thighs and knees and shins also hurt. I even get cold feelings in different spots on my legs like a drop of water had dripped on me. Just lasts for a few seconds but it's a weird feeling. A friend is gonna bring me a walker to try out to see if it'll ease the pain of walking. Well, guess I'll try it out, in my house, first. Just seems that "48" is just too darn young to be using a walker, but, if it helps I'll have to use it. If I decide to use it I'm gonna paint it real wild and colorful. Got to make it fun somehow.....
  2. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Any one out there having severe hip pain, making it very hard to walk? If I walk for longer than 1/2 hr or so I'm shot for the remainder of the day. My thighs and knees and shins also hurt. I even get cold feelings in different spots on my legs like a drop of water had dripped on me. Just lasts for a few seconds but it's a weird feeling. A friend is gonna bring me a walker to try out to see if it'll ease the pain of walking. Well, guess I'll try it out, in my house, first. Just seems that "48" is just too darn young to be using a walker, but, if it helps I'll have to use it. If I decide to use it I'm gonna paint it real wild and colorful. Got to make it fun somehow.....
  3. Mimi

Mimi New Member

Hello..Sorry about the hip pain..i hear ya!
    I have the hip pain too--it was in insideuos thing which got worse and is now, after a few years (yes it took years for me) its finally getting better..it's hard when i walk, sit at times and well just it acts up --it's bad like when walking for excersize. i simply am not going to do it because i do not want to aggravate the hips UGH!(it's in both) and the area is tender at times upon simple palpation too!
    I've had MRI's done of the bilateral hips area and it showed a postive for inflammation at the greater trochanter bone..the head of the femur or thigh bone. Its odd..i did not know Fibro or things show up on an MRI? hmmm but it did! I have no Osteoarthritis so afr there-i am 45...and not heavy person and good bone density so i think its Fibro i do..i am still waiting for the 'Rheumy' to see me as the wait list is long. Hope u feel ok soon..i know this is very painful as we have to walk all the time for our activities of daily life! Those cold water dripping feelings sound like a nerve or vascular prob, i really do not know..have it checked out so you know for sure.
    Take care. :)
    Good day, Mimi
    PS: sleeping on a softer bed has helped me BUT made my back worse! hips that hurt seem to just feel better when lying under softnesss i think :) i needed soft padding to heal.. and it does takes time to heal. Hope you get some answers as i am waiting to find out as to why i have this pain there too(along w/the other aches):(

4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad you found our board. I do get hip pain now and them, but most of my usual pain is in the upperback, shoulders, chest, knees and upper arms.

You should have that checked out, it could be something other than Fibro.

I don't know what the cold spots are, that should be check too.

My hips had me bed bound for a week a few years ago, but have not had it that bad since.

Do you sleep on your back or stomach? If so that could be a problem.

I had to learn to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees, it keeps the spinal column straight.

I have a extra firm mattress, but keep a feather bed on top of it along with a 'wireless mattress heating pad' on top of that! It helps with the pain and the stiffness.

This is a miserable illness, and along with meds and supplements you need to learn all kinds of 'tricks' to help yourself to get some relief.

Also your shoes could cause hip pain.

Hope you get some relief soon, and again a big welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl

Ps. Used to love to dance too!
  5. Coping

Coping New Member

I always thought it was a fibro thing.

However, we need to make sure we don't blame all of our symptoms on fibro/cfs. I don't want to scare you but I did read or hear that hip pain can also be a sign of breast cancer. So, it would be a good idea to get a mammo if you haven't had one in a while. Again, please don't get upset about it.

I would love to see your walker painted all funky and colorful. That is a great idea!

Regards,
    Tricia
  6. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Have you been diagnosed? And, please, if you have not been diagnosed, don't take any steroids until you have been put through the paces! I made or we, the doc and I, made a mistake and I began steroids prior to a complete work-up. I appeared in good health except for my vocal chords; then all heck broke loose.

Do you have a diagnosis of FMS? Later. Lil'
  7. Ellie5748

Ellie5748 New Member

I also have hip pain. I have an appointment with my doctor on the 13th, and hope to see if he has any better ideas, other that cutting them off. I do have an egg crate on top of my mattress, pointy side down. It helps some, but there has to be a better solution. I just hope someone can come up with one! Have a gentle day.

Regards,

Ellen
  8. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

bout 4 weeks ago I woke up with horrific pain in my left hip - could hardly walk. On top of that, the calves of both of my legs hurt. It felt like "the meanies" were drilling thru my legs. It hurts worse when I lay down.

2 weeks ago went to doc. I was in so much pain, my blood pressure shot up to 168/101. He took about 5 xrays & 4 vials of blood & I had an Open MRI of the back on the 16th.

Just went yesterday to visit with doc. Gee - he said MRI report showed "at L5-S1 the disc space is narrowed and there is diffuse annular disc bulging with osseous end-plate spurring". Asked Doc what does that mean. He said i have degenerative disc disease, with bulging discs & bone spurs. He said what you have is inoperable. Well guess that's good,

He said I had two options - 1. visit a pain management doctor and received steriod shots. 2. physical therapy for a month. Oh Gawd, I'm sick of PT. 1996 went for 1 1/2 yrs, 3x a week, for 2 hours a visit. Steriod shots? not for me. Was given prednisone for severe asthma, had a rash all over my body. Visited the ER one nite. ER Doc says cant worry about your rash right now - Your blood pressure is 198/102. Hubby & I spent 4 hours in the ER so they could give me meds to reduce my blood pressure.

I'm wondering if some of my pain in the calves of my legs is from stopping hrt on July 16th? Complete hysterectomy in 94 & took 2 mg of Estrace till 7/16 when the studies began to show HRT causes heart disease, strokes & breast cancer - all of which runs in my family.

O Gee Sorry I Wrote a Book. Just my 3 time to post (I think?). Promise next time I will be shorter in my post,.

Gentleness
  9. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

That was so Funny!!

Thank You for giving me a laugh!

Gentleness
  10. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Domestic Goddess, you obviously haven't seen some of my posts or you wouldn't worry about writing a novel...lol That's the beauty of this board, we all can write as much or little as we want, and everyone understands! So sorry you've been having such problems.

And dearest Holly, I didn't know whether to laugh with you or cry for you! I've had my own horrible experiences with the specimen (someday people will say, You Did What in What..a Cup???!!), so I sympathize with you there. As far as your rheumy goes, I don't mean to sound like a trouble maker, but it is inexcusable to neglect this. A letter to your state med board would not be out of order. My uncle (years ago) was not given his results back, the chart was misplaced for 2 months...and he had colon cancer. I really thought my aunt should have sued just to prevent someone else from going thru that.

As far as pain meds go, I am a firm believer in not suffering needlessly. I don't feel I'm at the point yet where I need them, but I will be on the phone pronto for them if I need them.

You are such a strong woman and it does seem that you're going thru so much more than anyone should have too. You know my thoughts & prayers continue to be with you. Hang in there. Michele

P.S. Domestic Goddess, See what I mean...lol lol
  11. jackie2day

jackie2day New Member

I'm awaiting an MRI on the 14 Sept. and I hope it tells the doc something. I woke up one day and there it was pretty much. Almost the most horrific pain I ever felt in my left hip and lower back down through my legs. I could barely walk. Tried meds no good so far. Walking helps but hurts too much to do much. Laying and sitting down more painful than standing. My doc suggests sciatica.

Hope you get better soon. I'll have to wait and see what happens next.

j2day
  12. BlueMoon

BlueMoon New Member

A MRI. I go to My Doc to find out the results in the morning. Wish Me luck All, I'm praying I don't need a Hip Replacement.

Holding My breath till My appointment,

Blue
    Robin
  13. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Let us know how you make out! Stay calm, you'll handle whatever you need to when the time comes. Best wishes. Michele
  14. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

My FMS started in my left hip. That's still my "weak" spot. Last week my dr. gave me Lidocaine patches. You put it on for 12 hours, then have to keep it off for 12 hours. I find walking helps stretch the muscles. I also sit in either a hot bath or a whirlpool. Also, I went for physical therapy and they gave me exercises to do to relieve the pain. There is a lot you can do, once you have a firm diagnosis. Good luck!

Annette2
  15. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Thanks for the Welcome. This is a Great Site!
    My arms, as a matter of fact, my whole body, it tender to the touch. Soo weak. Drs ruled everything else out and did diagnois fibro. I've had xrays of hips, ankles, wrists and an MRI of neck and back. I have 2 hernaited discs in my neck and all of my discs from top to bottom are discenerating (spelling???). They found arthritis only in right foot. The won't do surgery on hern. discs cause I already had one fused about 15 years ago. They said if they do these 2 I wouldn't have much movement in my neck. They said as long as I don't have numbness and tingling in hands, like I had before, the surgery won't help anything. Whatever problems I'm having with arms just go along with the fibro. Sorry I'm rambleing on but have no one wlse but you all to talk to. People who don't have this just have no idea and can't comprehend.
    I sleep on a mild mattress and only sleep on my left side only. When I sleep on my right side I have weird rapid heart beats, so, I don't do it.
    When I do the stretching I'm just totally worn out! I keep trying but doesn't seem to do any good for me. When I went to 5 wks. of the Fibro classes, one lady and myself couldn't do any of the exercises. Out of the about 20 people there we were the worst which didn't make me feel any better.
    Well, since I'm not working anymore, I won't have any medical insur. as of Sept. 1 which really sucks. I don't know what I'll do about that since I can't afford to buy insurance. I guess I'll have to try and get medi-cal?.
    I'm having to sell my condo, lose my independence in other words, and move in with my sister and her husband til I can see what is going to happen. I seem to be getting worse with the walking situation. I'm fighting it but getting real tired. Sure am glad I'm on ZOLOFT cause otherwise I wouldn't be around. It's touchy even on the antidepressants. I'm just so tired......
    Sorry about the downer conversation but you all are the only ones I can say this to and understand it.
    Well, I hope you ALL are hanging in there and doing ok.
    Thanks for your ears or should I say eyes?

I WISH YOU ALL WELL.....Betty from Valencia CA.
  16. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

Nomoredance, I have had left hip pain for years, since about 1997, went to Physical Therapy, Chiropractor, etc, nothing seemed to help. I am currently going to a Pain Management Doctor, and he has been giving me low dose steriods injections in my SI joint and lower back! AAAWW the relief! I have SI Joint Dysfunction, actually started out with left knee pain for years after a fall, and the doctor says I went so long without getting it fixed, (finally had sugery in December) that it thru off my gait, and for years, I would walk funny to relieve the pain when it flared up! I just went to the doc's on Thursday and got 10 injections in left and right SI joints and in my L4-5 which were starting to buldge a little from all of this, I am done with my injections, with helped for a few days, and in 2 weeks I go for an epidural. I feel great today and it is Saturday morning, (early not sleeping) they really helped me and after years of suffering, which I should have seen a doctor for earlier I have no pain, and after the epidural, I will be pain free in my hip for up to 6 months! I am 39 and I walked around worse than my 87 year old Grandmother!! I can walk straight up now, with no limp, and I am so happy! Also I go to Aquatic Therapy 2 times a week, which is less friction on your hips and knees, I love that also, strengthing is important!

Please see your doctor as soon as possible and suggest him to check out your SI Joint. It seems to be common in Fibro patients. Do you have alot of popping when you bend over, that is a sign that your SI joint in not working properly. I suggest that you don't let it go on for very long, it can really cause more problems, like mine, and I don't wish that on anybody! Good luck and take care, and see your doctor as soon as possible!! Wildcat
  17. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

You may want to read my post entitled "Klutzo-you should have been a doctor!" , an update on a post entitled, "suggestions please?"

Don't assume, as I was starting to, that everything is from fms--as some here have advised as well, it's worth getting checked out.

Best wishes. Michele