Hip problem, dislocation?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juloo, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

This is not really a CFS or FM thing, but it's not a Chit Chat thing either, exactly. Hoping to find more here with possible experience.

I've been doing pretty well lately, health and pain-wise. My son went to camp last week, which necessitated a 9-hour road trip Friday before last. My husband and I both drove, although I did navigating, mostly. The next day, we turned around and drove 9 hours back. When I got home, my right leg was pretty stiff, a touch painful, but the limp went away in about 2 days.

So, camp's over, we drive 9 more hours up to get son. My right leg was stiff that night, and a little painful to lie on, but could walk with no problem. The return trip, we stopped about half way to do some sight-seeing, and when I went to get out of the car, I could barely put weight on my right leg. My husband and son let me lean on them, an fortunately after about a minute, I could walk (hobble) on it. After our stop, we drove home. By the time we got home, my husband and son half-carried me indoors.

I thought at first that it was sciatica -- because I'd been sitting so long that I'd pinched a nerve, although there was no numbness -- but I'm thinking this is not right.

The pain I have is in my hip, and I put ice on it last night. Today my husband and I both noticed that my hips aren't symmetrical in silhouette any more. My right hip (the hurt one) sticks out, where the other side is concave. And when I've tried to lie on it (which is rather painful), it feels like there is a lump -- like a rock or roll of tissues -- in my pocket. Except, there is not rock or tissues, and no pocket!

The pain is still ongoing. I'm getting around now w/an old pair of crutches. The 'bump' is not going down, and it's hard to find a position for sitting. Is it possible to dislocate a hip just from sitting? My hips have always been very flexible, so I'm not used to being able to NOT position myself any way I'd like.

Tomorrow I've got to take this to a doctor. Family practitioner or chiropractor?

Any comments welcome.
  2. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

I've had ribs dislocate by just breathing. I'm sure sitting that long could have caused something like that or it could be something totally unrelated. I'd go to my family dr. because she knows my history and I trust her. Go to the dr. first thing in the morning. In the meanwhile, have you tried a warm bath? Maybe that'll help some? Good luck.
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

I think sitting in a warm bath (provided I can find a position that's comfy and hubby will help me in and out!) would feel very nice. In any case, I definitely need a bath before I see the doc!
  4. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

I had a car accident and as a result have damaged ligaments around the sacro-ileac joint and an assymmetrical pelvis..Also I think many of us have flexible joints.

Have you thought of aan osteopath..I find from time to time I get some slippage and one gentle visit sorts me out.
    Chiropracters did not help likewise doctors.I need to avoid sitting fpr more than 20 mins for about 6 weeks until things settle after an adjustment.
    Best wishes
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

I am now reclining in bed, having to cancel the massage I've been waiting two months for as it is tomorrow morning, and I'm going to have to see a doctor instead. I'm not sure if my hip is actually worse or if the OTC pain meds just need a touch-up.

Managed to hobble out w/the crutches to our porch and sit and talk to my sister-in-law on the phone for a bit earlier. I had my knee bent up, and my foot up on a small table, and all of a sudden I got a little 'sproing' type action and was hoping that it was somehow popping back into place, but no luck!

Both our big gel ice packs are recharging in the freezer, so I've got a little one next to me now. I just didn't have the energy to get in for a bath or shower today. I'm going to have to tomorrow morning.

Thanks again to everyone that answered. I'll let you guys know what happens.
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

I was lucky to get an appointment w/the nurse practitioner who knows all about the history of my CFIDS/FM. Usually have to wait a long time, and this time was no exception, but she took her time. I ended up w/four prescriptions (Ultram, something for pain, some anti-inflammatory, and a steroid) and an order for hip and back xrays STAT. The hospital where we get xrays also has my pharmacy, so I was able to get two things done together.

My 12-year-old son has been such a blessing today. He took his PSP with him, and even though he was mostly waiting or running errands for me (including holding my purse!), he didn't complain AT ALL.

The doctor's office (nurse practitioner) was hoping that they would get the radiologist report before the end of the day, so I am waiting for a phone call either tonight or tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, I wait for the pain med to kick in while son goes to Scouts and hubby goes food shopping. Thank goodness I have a laptop!
  7. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Hi there,
    i too have been having hip problems for several months now, my left one to be exact. havent said anything to doc yet but i will when i go back.
    i did however get a massage recently,i told her i had fibro but didnt tell her anything about the hip but when she got to the left one she said, ooohh your hip is swollen! said it could be from an old injury or just a strained muscle. i just think it'S the old fibro moving around to aggrivate me with something else.i will be talking to dr tho,im sure she will be doing some xrays & such, ill let ya know what the verdict is, i ihave read lots of posts on here about the same kinda hip pain your talking about tho. hope your better soon {{hugs}} kat
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

I would like to hear if you find out what is up. My massage therapist emailed and let me know to not let the injury stop me from coming in...they could work around it. I will feel better, though, hearing the xray results first, though. I'm glad that I saw the nurse practitioner. Since she knows about my medical history, we did not have to delve into all of that again...I can't imagine having to break in someone new to all of that. Also fortunately, she is not stingy w/pain meds -- she knows that I am responsible with them. The Lortab is kicking in, but the steroids are keeping me up a bit tonight, as she told me they would. But I wanted to stay up and get the whole dose in (it's one of those two-week-ish diminishing dose things) because the inflammation is pretty bad.

I hope that you get some answers for yourself. Ugh -- no one needs this in addition to all the rest!
  9. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i forgot to mention, after my first massage about 3 days later i noticed my hip pain was better so she did me some good, so i went back the next week & she worked on me again, and so far i have gotten a little relief from the massages & vicodin when i cant stand the pain. i'll still be asking for x rays tho. Somethings goin on for sure!! i know a lot of peeps on here talk about ending up with Bursitis :( Yippee!!lol.
  10. Juloo

Juloo Member

It's possible that this is what's going on -- it's better than thinking that somehow I've pulled my hip joint out of place! But I looked at some graphics online of where the bursas (?) were in the hip area, and I have a big bump on that side, so perhaps that is it? It still seems like an awful lot of swelling that developed in a pretty short period of time.

But the pain meds and anti-inflammatories/steroid seem to be helping. I can now hobble around the house without the crutches, although it is painful to sit or lie down anything other than carefully.

I did not hear the xray results this morning. I called mid-day to leave a message for my care practitioner's assistant, but still nothing. I called back around 4:30 to ask again, and the office had gone over to the answering service, although they are open until 6. Apparently, even though the phone recording says they are open 8 to 6 and to call them during that time, they don't answer phones before 8:30 or after 4:30. For the second time in two days I told the answering service that part of my message was to the practice to correct their recording.

Although, perhaps 'no news' is good news.

If I don't get an answer by the end of the week, I'll get the xrays from the hospital and go and see my chiropractor.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/05/2008]
  11. juloo did u find out the cause of the pain? Did they do any testing or what did the dr. say? I have similar, the dr. says first its fibro, then its bursitis. I am going to my reg dr. next wk to see what she says. I can't sleep at night it hurts too bad.
  12. Juloo

Juloo Member

The results for both the back and the hip were negative, so nothing to go on there. They told me that the next step would be an MRI. I want to wait until I'm done with the 12 days of prednisone (today is day 12) and then give it a week to see how things go. I am still taking one Lorcet at night for the pain, but am not taking any pain med during the day.

I think that your idea of bursitis is probably what is going on for me. As the swelling has gone down, my leg now has fuller motion. Between the meds and 'time', about 95% of pain is gone, and about the same amount of swelling.

Unfortunately, not all the pain is gone (the hip joint is still achy), and I am getting cramps in the long muscles of my thigh and in the lower back. I've decided I'm going to get my xrays and go and see my chiropractor and then massage therapist first, and see if some of their work can help stave this off again before doing an MRI -- we just don't have the funds for that right now. So I wouldn't set this off again, I passed up a weekend trip down to see family. It would have been another 9 hours in the same car that caused this in the first place, and I just couldn't have stood it!

I'm so sorry that you are having so much pain -- every step is an agony in such a position. Let me know what your doctor says and does? I'm open to any and all suggestions against this pain coming back at all!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/15/2008]
  13. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

I've had a lot of problems with my right 'hip'. Similarly when my husband looked at it, it was sticking out. I went to an orthopedic surgeon because it stayed out for five days straight and I couldn't sit. Anyways, it turned out to be the SI Joint, which is the joint just above the hip on the pelvic bone. The doctor told me it take a great injury to dislocate the hip. I've been going to physical therapy and it helps a lot as long as it's not all the way out. I do water therapy twice a week and stim, ultra sound and infired once a week, plus the physical therapist can realign it for me. Here are a few things....

A good picture,

And a quote from a sports injury site,
    "These joints can often get stuck or in some cases one half of the pelvis can glide forwards or backwards, which is often referred to as a twisted pelvis. When this occurs it often irritates the Iliolumbar ligament which results in Inflammation. This is usually indicated by tenderness around the bony lumps which you can feel if you place your thumbs either side of your lower back."

Good luck with everything.
  14. does it hurt at night to lay on it, or do you wake up with it hurting? That is me, and its severe pain. Let me know how you do and if you figure it out! I feel like my hips out of whack or something, bursitis? Guessing game. Dr. told me its fibro, then bursitis, now?
  15. Juloo

Juloo Member

School started yesterday, so I've been up to my ears in chores. It may be a bit of a false start, though, since storm Fay may close the schools tomorrow. Ugh, though we can always use the rain (just not the wind). I don't know what my neighbors are thinking, though, as this morning they have two guys just starting to re-roof their house. Maybe not good timing!

Replies --

Manaleon, you surprised me. I had no clue that the pelvis actually had a joint where the SI joint is. Thank you for including the link to the graphic, because I really had trouble visualizing it. Since I have both chiropractor and massage therapist visits on Friday, I'm going to ask about it.

Fibrobutterly, the pain has gone done considerably, and I *can* lie on it now. But it is not pain-free, especially if I lie on it. It's more like a dull ache -- sort of like a 'weather-predicting' hip now! It still feels like something is out of alignment. I'm over a week and a half into NOT crossing my legs, and it is driving me crazy, but if I forget and cross them, it starts to ache more on that side. Sunday was my last day for all pain meds and anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer. I'm going to see if I can get to Friday without them or if the pain starts ramping up again.
  16. Juloo

Juloo Member

Points to you!

Today I had scheduled two appointments -- first, chiropractor, then the massage therapist. I showed up at the chiropractor's office only to find out they were closed (due to tropical storm Fay). Apparently they didn't call their patients to tell them. So I was disappointed, because I had picked up my xrays and was all ready to get down to business.

So I went home and waited for my massage appointment. When I got there, I told my therapist what was going on with my hip. She got her husband to come in (also a LMT), and they checked out my hip and back, testing where it was tender, and what my movement was like. (When I stood up with feet together, my upper body would turn to the left by several degrees!)

Then they helped me do some stretches with my legs, and during one, I felt a little 'pop'. Then I had my regular 1 1/2-hour massage. When I got up from the table, I faced 'forward' again! I'm supposed to do a couple of things at home to help the SI joint open up (see? you called it!).

So I guess I just saved myself a $50 chiro appointment!

My lower back where the SI is could be a bit achy for a couple of days, but no pain. Unfortunately, they told me I need to stay away from my floor sitting and sit in a chair from now on!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2008]
  17. desertlass

desertlass New Member

Yes, Manoleon called it.

If you want to learn more about the SI joint, you can look up Richard DonTigny online.

I have a very old thread about the SI joint and hip pain that you can look up under my username.

I'm so glad to see that more people are coming to understand this problem with our pelvis.

I was also told that it would take a "severe" injury to misalign the SI joint, just as you were told that about your hip.

Anyway, I agree with whoever else mentioned this that an osteopath is the best route to go with this kind of problem. You can find one in your area that specializes in rehabilitative bodily work by looking online at the Academy for Osteopathic something or other... sorry in a fog right now.

Anyway, the nice thing about a D.O. is that they can prescribe pain meds as well, and a good one should not twist you up in a pretzel and crack you forcefully. It's all about getting the muscle to release and gently moving the joints back into place, not shoving or trying to get something to pop.

An X-ray, especially one that has you lying down will not show the typical MD much, and neither will an MRI, but it is very important to rule things out, so... there we are.

I hope you find help soon and that the pain is completely gone soon as well.

Take care,
  18. holiday16

holiday16 New Member

I'm wondering now if it happens because the muscles are so tight and it pulls it out. The last one that happened I was at the massage therapist while it was still bad and when she checked it she said the leg muscle was really tight and that can make it pop out. She worked on it and it was much better and eventually popped in.

I started taking a new supplement and it seems to be relaxing my muscles. I noticed today that my hips are more in place than they have been in a long time and my lower back felt better. I have a massage next week and I'll be interested to see if she notices any difference in my muscles. At my last appt. they were really tight since we had done alot of traveling and sitting in a car for long periods always makes it worse.

Oh, and it does cause a distinct limp when it happens. Very annoying.