Hip problems at 41..too young?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mlrarr, Aug 28, 2006.

1. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Hello again,
    I would like to know if anyone out there has had or did have any hip problems at the young age of their early 40's?
    I feel like when I get up my hip is so stiff. Sometimes the pain feels like its grinding. I like to sit crossed legged but now im finding it difficult to do that. Its only one side. I dont want to go to the doctor for fear that they will say its just another symptom of fm or cfs.
    Is it possible to have something else wrong?
    Thanks Melinda
  2. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

My hips have given me trouble for several years now (39 right now), I have Fibro. My typical problem is my right hip tilts quite far forward and causes my left leg to then be longer so to speak than the right. Which in turn causes low back pain and right sciatic pain.

Am going for PT for it, they did a few exercises and adjustments to it to start and it was somewhat better after the visit. The therapist said it is not caused by fibro, but aggravates the trigger points in the hip and buttock area. Probably worth a trip to the doc or a chiropractor to have it checked out.
  3. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

I am 43 and my hip has been killing me for awhile now. Finally broke down and went to doc...I have sciatica. I am getting an MRI on Friday.

The pain could be coming from problems in your back and you not realize that is the starting point.

My doc trusts that if I say it's not FM pain, we check it out. Hope yours will too. I would at least go see.
  4. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

My fm started with hip pain at age 36. It took me many years to get a diagnoises. I'd have pain in one hip for a month or two then it'd go away, then maybe a week or two later I'd get it in the other hip.

And yes the pain a stiffness was really bad when I'd stand up and start walking after sitting for a while.

It wasn't until I developed pain in my back a shoulders that I was finally diagnosed with fibro.

Barb
  5. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Melinda,

I am 37 and have had hip problems now for about 4 years. I never realized what it was until I started having bad back problems I found out then I had DDD (Degeneritive Disk Displaysia) and also sciatica in my right hip. I had to have repeated ESI's in my back and physical therepy for my weakness I had in my right leg as well. A few months ago I started having other problems, things that my family noticed and again I went back to the Doctor and he finally Dx'd me with FM. I know your thinking the same thing I have been thinking ..I am just to young for this. I know we have to except it because there is nothing they can do for the sciatia except stretching and warm massages (they help me best). Just hang in there Baby!

God Bless!

Noahvale--Kathy
  6. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

i stated have problems 5 years ago and am only 39, both hips bother me but the right is worse i have shots quite a bit to releive the pain. my doc now is giving them in my low back all the way to the tailbone and is hoping this will give me some relief, i have the right sciatic pain also. that is my first sign that the shots has wore off
    i have fm, ddd, ibs, rl, tmj, bursitis in both hips also
    the rhemy said it is from the fm and ddd.

you really need to go to the doctor about it. you will favor the one that hurts the worse, which in fact causes problems with the leght of the other leg

good luck and lots of love
    barbara
  7. lolee

lolee New Member

I'm 44 and for YEARS I just thought I had bad hips . . . . walked funny, had to sit a certain way, when pain was acting up I walked like a crab - almost side ways, coulfn't take stairs the way other people did -

Well, when I started with my P.M. Dr. he nailed it right off - wasn't my hips but extreme inflammation in my sacrial and pelvic joints (I didn't even KNOW there were other joints there! LOL!)

Along with other treatments, he gives me injections in to those joints (in his office) they hurt more then anything I have ever had done, but the more pain during injection is like a confirmation of the amount if inflammation: the more it hurts the worse it is.

But I gotta tell ya', I SO look forward to them now - within minutes my pain eases up, within 30 minutes I'm ready to dance on a pony keg!

He "found" mine after an MRI and then confirmed by the injection (I almost flew off the table on the first one and actually said the F word! I was mortified, but he was so cool, and that was when he explined how this injection is the final confirmation of a problem.

Dr.'s and therapists refer to it as the S.I. joint and spine universe web site has additional information!

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to let you know because I swear the treatments have helped me SO much and to quote my Dr. the pain (untreated) is so intense (and can just hit you in an instant!) that it is "a humbling experience".

let me know if you and your Dr. try this!

peace, love and blessings to you and yours,

Lolee
  8. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

i have to agree that the shots hurt extremely bad
    i have said my share of the %$#@ word each time i get them
    the doctor just laughs and rubs the area so it won't hurt so bad. i had six injections last night, this is some new medicine he is trying on me i am his ginneapig. with this medicine it takes at least two days for me to be back to normal

lot of hugs to everyone
    barbara
  9. lolee

lolee New Member

Please find out what he's trying and post for me . . . ? And if it seems to last longer . . . . I would appreciate it.

I'm very happy with my treatments and my doctor, but he is such a cool guy and he likes it when I bring in new info for us to "investigate"

thanks a milion,

Lolee
  10. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Melinda, I started having hip problems about 5 months ago. When I mentioned them to my doctor he said it was bursitis and gave me a cortazone shot that should have lasted me at least 3 months it lasted me two weeks. Then I started to have burning in my thighs the front and sides up through the hips. They did a CT scan and found a herniated disk in my lower back. They put some steroides in my spine and said that should help for a while. And it has to a point I am now able to touch my thighs without sucking in my breath in pain and my back is pretty good as long as I don't over do anything. Have you doctor check it out cause there are so many other things it could be. Good luck and hope things turn out good for you.......SueF
  11. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Melinda:

I had hip problems starting at age 34. Long story, but have large bone spur and erosion of the cart. I have had p/t, MRI, synovial biopsy, x-rays, shots, etc. I have a muscle problem that causes right leg to behave differently when I walk than the left leg. I went to the best hip doctor in CA, (Dr. Lawrence Dorr) and he wanted to do a re-positioning surgery on me 10+ years ago. I had to get a 2nd opinion for my insurance company. 2nd doctor said to wait until I cried when I walked, as I would be setting myself up for hip replacement at a very young age.

Sometimes if I sit with my knees higher than my hip, (like on stadium seats at the park), my hip joint feels as if it has come apart, and I have a tough time getting up. So, obviously, I do not sit like that.

You should always check something like this, especially if it feels as if it is a bone or inflammation issue...as it could be something not related to FMS/CFS.

Good luck.

Ingrid
  12. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Thats where i first started hurting, I noticed I had a female exam and I coudn't get my legs in stirups. Ruthie
  13. GLASTETTER

GLASTETTER New Member

I GO BACK IN TWO WEEKS AND I WILL ASK HIM FOR THE NAME AND POST IT TO YOU

HOPEFULLY IT WILL HELP

GOOD LUCK
    BARBARA
  14. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Hi Melinda,

I am 37, will be 38 next month. My left hip locks up on me. It's the only way I can describe it. I was diagnosed with bursitis in both hips at age 26.

I still do not know why my left hip gets stuck, like bone on bone. I can remember this back as far as middle school.
    I don't know why my parents never asked the doctor about it.

I have a herniated disc and arthritis in both knees too. These were both diagnosed over 8 years ago.

I know how you feel about being told "it's just part of FM" - I get tired of that one too. I feel that any new symptom we have, we SHOULD ask our doctors about, but that's MY opinion.

Best wishes,
    C-Mom

15. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

16. Thistledown

Thistledown New Member

I have a congenital misalignment of the right hip that had bone pitting by the time I was 15. I still do martial arts with it like this. I worked with a woman who had both hips replaced before age 30.
  17. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Melinda and all with hip problems, you may not just have fibro, but Ehlers Danlos as well. Get diagnosed properly by a genetic doctor. YES, these problems can be inherited and passed down to your children. Ehlers Danlos is a connective tissue problem and is highly underdiagnosed. Almost all the people I know with Ehlers Danlos also have been diagnosed with Fibro. There is a connection with hypermobile joints! To get proper treatment, you must have the proper diagnosis. Do a search on Ehlers Danlos.
    Helen
  18. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

When I got om my pc this morning and seen all the post I was shocked!! So many people and so young!! I am calling my doctor again today and demanding an appointment to find out what this is. I know its not just fm or cfs. Even though my doc blames everything on the fm I think I need a second look over.
    This is not fun. You never know what it will be like to be in pain just walking, getting up man I just about cant stand it. The front of my thigh hurts down to my knee. I feel like 80. My husband makes fun of me he now calls me old girl LOL. Of course he joking but i look like it ...

Thanks to all. I have alot to look up before I get in to see the doc again.
    Have a pain free day
    Melinda
  19. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

In your last post you mentioned that it the front of your hip hurt clear down to your knee. What kind of hurt is it? The reason I ask is because I had a burning sensation from the side of my hip clear down to my knee and up the side and then to the butt area. My doc immediately said it was not fibro or bursitis related and had a CAT or MRI can't remember which but that is how they found out about my hernated disc in my lower back. Please don't take that it is fibro related as an explanation if it is a burning pain. Go to your doctor and if you don't like his explanation of it go to another doc. Good luck.......SueF
  20. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Like mine,
    It burns down to my knee. I have Kiaser so I have to wait to get in. Im taking it easy until I can get an appointment!!

Thanks everyone..

Melinda