Hip Replacement Soon

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nashvillegal, Sep 15, 2008.

1. nashvillegal

nashvillegal New Member

I'm getting ready for a hip replacement (minimally invasive procedure). I'm in a lot of pain at the present. I'm scared silly about the surgery. Anyone out there been through this recently?
  2. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

My mother had a hip replacement 2 Summers ago . Her's was pretty extensive . You say you are having a " minimally invasive procedure ? I'm not sure what you mean , but my mother had a very extensive surgery and recovery .

I won't tell you it didn't have pain involved , but my mother said it was worth the pain considering how much pain she was in before the surgery.

Orthopedic surgery is so advanced and they take such good care of you afterward , that you should be assured that it will go well . Hip replacement has become a fairly common procedure and the medical team is very well educated on how to handle you pre and post - op.

I will keep you in my prayers !

Oh , and if you have fibro , you will want to tell them . Since fibro is a pain amplification disorder , you will want to make sure they know to give you all the pain relief that is due to you.

[This Message was Edited on 09/15/2008]
  3. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

My husband had this done 2 years ago and is doing fine. He was 53 at the time and had no problems.

I wouldn't say his surgery was minimally invasive though. He has about an 8 inch scar.

He tells me almost every day how nice it feels to be pain free now that he has his new hip. Before surgery, he was in a great deal of pain and was basically a different person because of the pain.

Today he is happy and pain-free. I'm sure you will be too!

It's normal to worry, but I truly believe you will be so happy you did it. (easy for me to say since I didn't go through it, right? LOL)

The only other thing I can tell you is to be diligent with your rehab. My husband stayed after it, and I think that is part of the reason why he is doing so well.

Best of luck to you and try not to worry! You'll do fine!

God bless,