Hissing sound in my ears

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MJJBunny, Jul 30, 2003.

1. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

I have this sound in my ears that resembles hissing. I don't notice it all day, mostly in late afternoon and evening. Since this is something relatively new for me, I don't know if it's part of CFIDS or FM.

I do take Neurontin and Klonopin and I think one of them is suppose to help, but it certainly doesn't.

Any suggestions?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It doesn't make it go completely away, but it does help. Mine also come around in the evening. Tinnitus can be most any kind of sound in the ears, including clicking.

Love, Mikie
  3. refinnej

refinnej New Member

i too have similar sounds and cannot tell if it is my ears or the back of my head and sometimes it is loud crackling or hissing noise how strange, Huh?
  4. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

The first time I heard this sound when I was driving, I kept trying all the windows thinking that the wind was blowing in causing the noise. Finally I plugged up my ears and realized that I still heard it. I may be slow, but I'm not stupid.
  5. pooped

pooped New Member

type the word hyperacusis into your message search box at the top of this screan and you will see several posts on this particular subject.

Love, POOPED
  6. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Hello. I've had the exact same experience in the car many times over -- I check the windows to make sure they are tight, but I still hear air leaking into the car. So annoying. I've tried using ear plugs while driving, but it gives me a vertigo sense, so I gave up & opted to just try & concentrate on other things. I turn the radio on very low, so low that anyone else couldn't hear it, but I still hear the hissing.

Bummer...

Best thoughts to all.
  7. babyjoan

babyjoan New Member

I have had that hissing along with different tones for two years. Sometimes it is maddening where I have to turn the TV louder to hear over the noise in my ears. I can't believe people around me can't hear it!!! I always joke about it and say if the noise in my head is bothering you, let me know and I'll move. (I stole that line from an old movie.) During the day it doesn't seem as bad but I think it's because I am at work and there is so much noise there it probably drowns out the noise in my head!!! Peace

Joan
  8. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

First off, Bek, I'm not blonde. But I do sound like it don't I? Actually the color over my gray hair is brown, but shhhhh, don't tell anyone.

Yes, I do have TMJ. I never thought of that as a connection. Sometimes the similarities we have is frightening and reassuring at the same time.

Thank you everyone for your replies.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2003]
  9. bibby

bibby New Member

Some days it's not so bad and then others, when I'm feeling particular bad, it's maddening! I've ask my PCP and he told me that it is one of the symptoms of FM maybe because of the heightened sensitivity to noise. Oh well, hang in there.
    Hugs,
    Bibby