Historical Perspective on LYME & OTHER STEALTH INFECTIONS...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Dec 2, 2005.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm reposting this, had posted it originally under another thread ...

IMHO it's becoming more and more apparent that the modern medical world doesn't know half of what it thinks it knows, or at least TRIES to tell us that they know....
    ---------

I'm finding medical history to be more and more interesting ... who knew I'd ever think this was, heck I was an art major, albeit with a good IQ...

...I think the following gives a good perspective on the controversy over Lyme, mycoplasma, etc.:

This was from a rheumatoid arthritis foundation site:

(When it's ALL CAPS it's my emphasis)

"According to the late Roger Wyburn-Mason, M.D., Ph.D., and one of this foundation's founders, the history of tuberculosis (TB) demonstrates how misleading can be the identifying of diseases by name according to the body part affected.

"Prior to the discovery of the tubercle bacillus there were 100 DIFFERENT DISEASES NAMED DEPENDING ON THE BODY PART AFFFECTED.

"After identification of the tubercle bacillus, all of these different names collapsed into ONE -- tuberculosis! -- although now it is called TB of the bone, TB of the lung, TB of the skin, and so on.

"Again, as told by Professor Roger Wyburn-Mason, the history of syphilis demonstrates that syphilis could have been considered as a PERFECT EXAMPLE OF AN "AUTO-IMMUNE" DISEASE -- until the discovery of the syphilis spirochete!

"Of course, it is now accepted as being an infectious disease. But, had the syphilis spirochete not been discovered, think of the billions of dollars that might have been spent trying to "modulate" the "defective" immune system!"
    ---------------------

The following was from a history of syphilis disease which I found interesting again because of how it masqueraded,like Lyme, and also its stages that are often quite spread out as well.

Lyme is appearing to be similar because it hides out without seeming to connect the initial infection to the later variety of symptoms, altho I won't list it all here other than to list the stages and time factors. One can see why doctors/patients wouldnt've connected all of it originally:

-----------------------
    "Because syphilis infections seem to disappear after the initial inflammatory reaction, people were given a false sense of "recovery" from the disease, yet the severity of the disease continued to increase.

"...Later research showed syphilis to be the cause of a variety of serious illnesses. By 1876, cardiovascular syphilis had been clearly documented in the medical literature.

"If spread to the spinal cord, the infection can cause muscular incoordination and partial paralysis. Ultimately affecting the brain, syphilis can also lead to insanity in some cases. By the early Twentieth century, doctors reported that MENTAL institutions were filled with patients whose illnesses could be traced to syphilitic infections.

Primary Syphilis: 10-60 days after exposure to syphilis, the area of infection is marked by the appearance of a hard, slightly elevated, round, ulcerous development called a "chancre." ...The chancre will heal within 4-6 weeks, even without treatment, but may leave a scar.

"The lymph nodes also become inflamed. Histologic examination of the lesions reveals endarteritis (inflammation of the inner wall of an artery) and periarteritis (inflammation of membranous sac surrounding the heart), characteristic of syphilitic lesions at all stages, and infiltration of the ulcer with polymorphonuclear leukocytes and macrophages. Ingestion of the spirochete by the phagocytic cells is often seen, but the organisms frequently survive. ...Unless syphilis is treated early in this stage, it will progress into secondary syphilis.

Secondary Syphilis:
    One to six weeks after the chancre heals, a pale red rash appears ... accompanied by a fever, sore throat, headaches, joint pains, poor appetite, weight loss, and hair loss....

The Latency Stage: There are NO obvious symptoms during this stage, yet T. pallidium is still present in the host's body, lodging itself into the host's tissue. This stage can range from a few months to a lifetime, during which the infected person tests positive for the disease.

"...Lesions of late benign syphilis sometimes occur for an extended period from as few as 2 TO OVER 40 years from onset of infection... (in) critical organs, like the heart, brain and liver, can be fatal. This stage of syphilis can lead to cardiovascular syphilis, neurosyphilis, or death.
    ----------------

One last note, I read recently that the Lyme spirochete genome was recently completed, and it was TWICE as complex as the syphilis genome.

A lot of food for thought, whether or not Lyme is the basis for all CFIDS/FM or not.

I think these 'bugs' - of all kinds - are a whole lot stealthier than we have ever given them credit for... and abx, while lifesaving obviously in many cases, may have also killed enough good unknown bacteria to allow otherwise unlethal bacteria to take hold... as well as virii etc.

Nope, no medical degree here, just an extreme interest in the whole subject plus an open mind....

all the best,
    Victoria
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

hoping others find this as interesting as I do...
  3. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Thank you for reposting Victoria. Yes, it is very interesting. Interesting parallells. Food for thought.

Hopeful4
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

I agree these pathogens role is survival, understand that, and we get to understand why they can be so difficult to treat.

In my case borreliosis/lyme is just part of the soup but a significant one.

Not having a medical degree can be an advantage, it means we are open to all perpectives on these DDs and so have fewer preconceived ideas over causes, effects, and Tx.

In the late 80s I started my course on clinical nutrition, the first part of this involved learning about physiology. I was shocked at the time when I realised how little some of the doctors I had seen actually understood. It may have been that they were just not keeping up to date, but when I discussed this with some nurses I knew, their comment was they too understood physiology better than many of the doctors they worked with.

Some medical schools in the UK are now teaching medicine in a different way and this is reflected in the students who are offered places on their courses. Most of the medical schools taking this new approach want their students to have passed the higher level exams in at least one humanity and have experience which shows they can work with people.

The teaching is less formal, instead of endless lectures, a large proportion of their studies requires the students research for themselves. They have practical experience from early on too and this is based on whatever area they are studying.

My niece is a student in one of these forward thinking medical schools. When she met up with another medical student, attending a more traditional medical school, she was surprised by how much more she knew and understood. Other students where she is studying have been saying the same.

At least some UK medical students are learning to think for themselves and so quickly become aware of the shortfalls of reductionsist principles, outdated ideas, and the scientific model.

love, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 12/03/2005]