HIV Medication for CF and much more

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scarflady, Sep 6, 2006.

1. scarflady

scarflady New Member

I just got back from my compounding pharmacy....and ....
    The prescription name is NALTREXONE 3 MG caps

I just did a Google search and was amazed as what this drug is used for ......Lupus, CF, Rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, Chrohn's to name a few. The article says it may take 2 weeks to see a change.
    I am sitting here in utter amazement at what I am reading and suggest you read the information. The one I am reading is about the 5th article down on the search engine. I am ready to cry with happiness.....

My best to all of you and hope we can all see relief with this medication.

Scarflady

[This Message was Edited on 09/06/2006]
  2. ulala

ulala New Member

Scarflady-I'm posting something that ritathereas posted awhile back on naltrexone. I hope she doesn't mind!

"Here's some info I recently received on naltrexone 04/07/06 06:47 AM

I think most people first say to themselves "but I am not opiate addicted". That is not why FM patients are being given LDN.

Here is some info I received and I'm just going to post it - some of it is alittle technicial but overall it should make some sense.

The symptoms associated with opiod withdrawal have much in common with the symptoms of FM - diffuse pain, irritability and depression, feeling cold, abdominal cramps and diarrhea. The overlapping symptoms of FM and opiod withdrawal suggests that the mechanism of FM may be sensitization to endogenous opiods - i.e. endorphins. The initiation of chronic endorphin stimulation could occur through major physical trauma or through frequently repeated low level injury. Once established, whatever mechanism returns the CNS (central nervous system) to its normal homeostatic equilibrium fails to operate, and the patient responds with continued heightened endorphin exposure. If this hypotheses is correct, it is as the FM patient is in a state of chronic opiod withdrawal.

This hypothesized mechanism suggest a therapeutic strategy based on blocking the effects of endorphins by administrating opiod blocking medications. It would be expected that in an opiod-naive FM patient, oral administration on ultra-low naltrexone would lead to prompt reversal of opiod stimulatory symptoms, with decreased pain, muscle relaxation, and sensation of warmth. Repeat dosing at intervals dictated by the recurring of FM symptoms should lead to a reduction in the severity of symptoms and possible resolution of this syndrome.

A second strategy entails proving a dose of opiod antagonist sufficient to block endorphin effects for a prolonged period allowing the stimulatory changes secondary to chronic endorphin arousal to regress. A resetting of the system, so to speak. The dose required for non-selective opiod blockade is estimated to be in the range of 1 microgram to 1 mg. The clinical response to total endorphin blockade may range from immediate relief of FM symptoms to temporary exacerbation of symptoms followed by their partial or complete resolution.

So I definately find this interesting and any information I find out I will definately post. I will be speaking to my doctor about this.

Take care everyone, Ritatheresa"
    [This Message was Edited on 09/06/2006]
  3. Gosia

Gosia New Member

Scarflady

Please, let us know how you feel on the new med.

Thank you.
    Gosia