hives and cfs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fabricaholic, Jun 21, 2006.

1. fabricaholic

fabricaholic New Member

does anyone else herehave hives either vascular or just the regular hives as a symptom of their cfs?

I have been told by my derm and pcp that it can cause strange things to happen, but gees louise this is crazy!
    I've got hive from head to toe the vascular ones are painful and leave a bruse when they go away, and the regular hive is itchy. I also have times when my mouth and lips swell.I was on prednisone for several months and other than the weight gain of 20something pounds I felt good. Now I'm off the prednisone and I feel crapy.

has anyone ever done this or am I the only freak in the bunch?
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

It's funny you mention this, because lately I've been getting these rashes all over. I get them mostly on my face, arms, and chest, but they will show up anywhere. Sometimes they itch and sometimes they don't. I had wondered if there was any correlation between the hives and my CFIDS, but, I thought it's probably just a fluke. I've never brought it up to my doctor, because I've only noticed it within the last month or so. The other thing I've noticed with it is that they worsen from being out in the sun.

Anyway, hope this helps a little bit.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  3. zachsuncle

zachsuncle New Member

I have CFS and recently broke out in itchy hives on both arms. One week earlier, I had begun an effort to address joint pain by ramping up my spotty, off-and-on use of Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements to full and consistent adherence to the manufacturer's exact daily recommendations. The particular supplement I was taking included MSM and some other so-called "joint lubricant" with one of those marketing department-derived trademark names. It's worthy of note that this product and other such supplements often contain sulfates and/or ingredients derived from shellfish (iodine?). In various people -- and at various levels of consumption -- either of these can be allergans.

I'm not sure what to make of this myself, as gluc/chond supplements have helped mitigate joint pain for me a little bit in the past, and so I've been trying to find a supplement combo and dosage that helps with joint pain WITHOUT provoking the hives... and I don't know if taking smaller doses of something that brought on an allergic response is okay -- or if it's a bad thing at ANY level.
  4. yourtroubl

yourtroubl New Member

Its also the first round of Steriods which has caused me to gain 30 pounds.