HLADR4 positive, anyone?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by highcotton, Dec 11, 2007.

1. highcotton

highcotton New Member

Add another topic for me to learn about. I just discovered i am positive for DR4. I did a search on this at Lymenet but did not come up with anything really specific.

My understanding is that if you test positive for this, then the odds are 50-50 that you will not respond to antibiotic treatment.

(I am showing my ignorance yet again, i know.)

Has anyone else had this test? If so, what types of
    treatments have you responded to?

Please, all ideas welcome.

2. Chootik

Chootik New Member

How did you test for this??

What is this?

I'm totally clueless about this.

Thanks,
    Maryam
  3. highcotton

highcotton New Member

Hi Maryam!

I dont know much about it yet -- my LLMD ordered this immune test--it was called HLA DR DQ Phenotype on the lab request form.

He said that it came back positive, meaning I have a 'tough time' with spirochetes. Because our phone conversation was focused on another topic, i did not get a chance to ask him more about it.

I found some posts on Lymenet from 2006 in which this topic was discussed -- it seems that if you have this genetic variation then your HLA (everybody has this) cannot bind to toxins and carry the toxins out of your body.

So that even after you kill the Lyme bacteria, they remain as chronic toxins?

Some people use cholestyramine (mangled spelling?)to bind the toxins and eliminate them.

Also, I think the test I had is a more general test. Somebody on Lymenet mentioned that there were actually 5 genes that can be tested for.

I'm adding this on 12/12/07 -- a link to a discussion on lymenet about this gene

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=043161

[This Message was Edited on 12/11/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2007]
  4. amk33

amk33 New Member

Also, this is the tissue type that predisposes you to rheumatoid arthritis. This is the gene that is implicated in adverse reactions to the Lymerix vaccine.