Ho Ho Ho 'To Do' List Dec 22nd to Dec 28th

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, Dec 21, 2008.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all.....

We had a pretty good weekend here. Went shopping on base Saturday and they had a wonderful sale so I now have lots of sweaters and tops that fit me. I've been stuck with only 2 that fit me well since I lost the weight. Now I have so many to choose from, I'm so excited.

Since hubby took both today and tomorrow off of work, we need to get the puppy to the vet for his shots. We also have some errands on base that we've been putting off and now it's close to the last minute and needs to be done. And I need a haircut...

The pup is doing great.....goes potty on the pads about 98% of the time and he's now as big as Dixie is, in just two weeks!

Hope everyone is doing well and can find a minute or two to check in this week.

Happy Holiday Hugs,

2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Ho ho ho yourself......

It's fun to shop when you can actually find things that fit, isn't it? And you can enjoy your weight loss now, with new clothes. (Nancy)

Linda- we made candy cane cookies. They are a delicious cookie with almond extract, which will always smell like Christmas to me. They do take awhile, twisting the two colors of dough together....but we had fun. The folks still don't have their car....my brother is waiting until after the holidays to make another 9 hour drive. Can't blame him.....that's exhausting. They are doing all right, but I wish my dad would try to take better care of himself. I'm sure he's depressed and just doesn't care.

I may make one more type of cookie, which are Grandma's recipe. Santa's whiskers- another butter cookie with coconut and slivers of dried cherries in them. Also nuts.

I hope some more people have time to check in and let us know how you're doing.
    Merry Christmas!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/22/2008]
  3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hello Nancy, Linda & Terri and hello to those who follow.

Today I have to go to the men's clothing store, pet store, grocery store & dollar store; thankfully the stores are all in one location; a small plaza not too far from home. The main thing is to get sweetie's Christmas gift (shirt, tie & cuff links) so I can get it home and wrapped before he gets home from work.

In addition to the outing

telephone survey re: loan insurance
    swiffer floors
    write out new year's resolutions
    read & rest
    make dinner

I'm glad you found some nice sweaters, Nancy. New clothes is the best thing about losing weight - good for you! It's great that Samson is coming along so well with house training - I hope he does as well at the vet's.

Linda, I'm glad you had a fun time looking at Christmas lights - some homeowners really put their hearts into decorating this time of year. There is a park near my home that goes all out - they have a walkway of moving lights, just beautiful! I hope to get there this season, perhaps on Christmas night.

Terri, your Christmas cookies sound delish! I imagine the boys had fun making them and will enjoy eating them just as much.

I've never been one to do a lot of Christmas baking. Given there's always such a plethora of home-baked goodies this time of year I've never felt the need to bake myself.

My mom, though, used to bake up a storm; pies, tarts, squares, fudge, fruit cakes and best of all Christmas cookies. She used to make Christmas-shaped sugar cookies, decorated with coloured icing and candied sprinkles and we five children couldn't get enough of them. Each year, Mom would have to hide the cookies, otherwise we'd eat them all and there wouldn't be any left for Christmas.

Our greatest joy as children was searching all the nooks and crannies of our house to find Mom's stash of cookies. If we found the cookie-tin she'd give in and let us eat them and then feigning despair, she'd set about making another batch to hide. Each year, her hiding places would become more and more elaborate and 'hide and seek with the Christmas cookies' evolved into a fun family tradition.

Mom died at Christmas time, twenty-five years ago. I think of her often, especially this time of year when so much of Christmas reminds me of her. For having had such a kindly, fun mother, I'm grateful.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Good Morning all....

Had another really good day yesterday, got our errands done and hubby and I snuck out and left all of the kids here so we went shopping too and I now have 2 prs of jeans to add to my new wardrobe. I've been alternating the 2 sweaters with only 1 pr of jeans. So hard to shop with Katy along.....

Terri, your cookies sound wonderful. We didn't bake this year for obvious reasons. I didn't want the temptation in the house with Katy becoming so large.

Linda, the light displays sound wonderful and that was always a special treat living in the states for me. Somebody always goes above and beyond for the rest of us to enjoy.

Anne Theresa, I hope you had fun with your busy day....And your Mother's traditions sound lovely. What a fun way to keep kids happy at Christmas time.

Grammy........omg........was your husband arrested? Have you been living this way for years? I'm guessing with an attack this brutal, it wasn't the first time. They put men in jail for attacks like this.....it's no longer something women have to put up with. And next time it will probably be worse, it always is if they get away with it.

Please, if you haven't already, call the police again and have him jailed. Can you google a shelter for abused women with your zip code?

Women who are abused always feel lonely and alone, but you're not. There are people out there who want to help you. People who've been through it and know just how you feel. Please reach out to them...

Call a national abuse hotline and see if they can find someone in your area or someone to get you out of the house to safety. Trust me....people want to help you.

5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Please call the hotline number that Pain/Cindy gave you in her post.....you need to do it now. You sound isolated and need help. My prayers are with you.....
  6. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Do not stay with your husband. There has to be a place for you to go. I agree with all the pp. Call your church and ask what is available. Call hotlines. Whatever it takes.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Big hugs,
  7. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Okay that's a line from the Charlie Brown Christmas. Of course it is Lucy talking (lol).

We have the flu here. I kept my son home on Thursday and Friday. I just thought it was a cold the first day but the second day he threw up about 4x and I couldn't get him to keep any liquids down for a while. We all have had sore throats and runny noses for a while. Yesturday thought I started to feel dizzy and flu like and nauseated. Ugggh.

Christmas eve (afternoon) we have a church pagent that my son will be in. He will be a mouse! I am trying to get well. We have guests coming for Christmas eve dinner! My husband is doing a lot of the work. My son is much better today and if I rest today I should be okay. My SIL and MIL are bringing quite a few dishes and we are doing a spiral ham, drinks, rolls and pumpkin pies. Then Christmas day we will go to MIL. I like it there (lol). She always tells me to go take a nap in the guest room if I want:)

This Christmas is different and the sickness and struggles are just the explaination mark on a year of difficulty.

Here's to 2009! WOOHOO!

Happy Holidays to all here! Wishing you all the best.

8. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

OMG, Grammy, I'm sorry about your nightmare experience and the lack of local resources to help you through this. You must find a safe place & get away from this violence. I'll say some prayers for you. Please check in with us as you're able and let us know how you are making out.

Last eve., I returned to using my steroid inhalant as my emphysema symptoms have become progressively worse (wheezing & laboured breathing) since I stopped using the inhaler last week. I hate these extra 50 lbs but being able to breath is important (obviously), perhaps the extra weight is the price I'll pay. Hopefully, I'll be able to lose weight in spite of this med (I'll try my best), or, at the very least, stop gaining.

Linda, I hope the cold & rain has not increased your symptoms or led to a flare. The weather can play such an important role in our pain levels and well being. Enjoy your baking marathon tomorrow and try not to over-do (I know you're very good at pacing yourself but a reminder to rest is always good advice for those of us with this DD).

Nancy, it's nice you bought some jeans to go along with your new sweaters. I've been needing to buy a few new articles of clothing (for the opposite reason as you). I most recently bought a lovely black sweater-jacket that goes down past my knees, hanging low in the front. It's difficult to describe but a nice, unique piece that, when worn over black tights and a long blouse, hides a multitude of sins.

There is a specialty large-women's clothing store in our local mall (Addition Elle - they're on-line if you ever want to cyber-shop for Katy) which is where I bought the sweater/jacket. Short of being slim and able shop the smaller sizes off the rack, I'd sooner shop at Addition Elle than anywhere.

I hope your spell of feeling well continues indefinitely. Knowing how fragile our systems are and how easily we can relapse, people with chronic illness truly appreciate the good days.

Molly, so sorry about the flu - what terrible timing, ugh! I hope you're all better for the holidays. I hope your little guy feels well enough to take part in the church pageant. Watching my sons perform in school or church plays was a highlight of my years as a young mother. There's nothing so cute! I know this has been a tough year for you in more ways than one and I hope your bad spell ends with the new year. You deserve some light in your life!

After all my shopping etc. yesterday, I feel exhausted and poorly today. So I've been taking it easy, resting & reading most of the day. Though I was planning to go grocery shopping with sweetie this eve, I may very well ask him to go without me so I can continue recouping and not have to face all that snow.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa

9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Yes, listen to the others Anne Thersa/Pain and whoever else it was. You shouldn't have to live in such a terrible situation. There are so many things that you can do but in your case they may not be as many. Yes, call yiu church or other places that might be able to give you numbers to call about battered women and where you can go. Yes, I know it is true what others have said, it will only get worse. You need to get away from that. I am so surprised that you are are as sane as you are and not completely beaten down. I didn't look to see where you are from but I know in some little towns the good old boys think they can get away with such things. How long has the abuse been going on? Usually it just gets worse and keeps going on and on till you leave. Then, they beg you to come back. Then when you do he is good for awhile and then it starts again. I know cause I have spoken to other women who were abused and that is usually what happens .

God bless you sweetie and keep you safe. Please do something to get away from that man. You are so lucky you did not get hurt alot worse or even get killed. I know that sounds horrible but it is true.

Blessings and soft hugs to you,

[This Message was Edited on 12/23/2008]
  10. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Hi all--my name is Cindy and I hope you don't mind that I decided to move this post to where Grammy originally wrote the message-- I questioned whether or not it might be better here, instead of on the open board and decided to move it in hopes she'll see it, while giving the message more privacy. Does that make sense???

Nancy-- are you the one who lives in Germany? Do you like it there? I was an airforce brat and lived in Geilenkirschen, up near the Dutch border (a NATO base) in the 80's. I LOVED Germany-- went to school in Holland at another base and hope some day to return for a vist.

Hi to everyone else,
    Thank you for letting me post this.

Hi Grammy--
    I came on here a bit ago and was going to post a thank you (and recipe request) for the yogurt substition chart and seeing your latest post, I guess I forgot about that for the moment.

I can't believe you had to call your husband back after what you went through...how rural is it where you are?
    I'm so sorry that you got treated that way, and now have extra health issues to deal with on top of the rest of life. Is he there with you? Do you have neighbors?

I hope you can find a way out. Can you try another county or get help from your children? I've heard Texas is a BIG state (lol, I was born there) and don't know what resources are out there but PLEASE don't give up and figure out a way to get away from him.

You just never know what someone else is going through, and my heart sure goes out to you.
    I want to ask more questions but don't want to pry...just know we all care very much!

NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HOTLINE: 800-799-SAFE They can help w/ so many things, even legal help!<
    [This Message was Edited on 12/25/2008]
  11. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

No one will mind that you offered help here on this thread...in fact all are welcome here.

Yes, I live in Stuttgart and love it. Almost 6 yrs now and hopefully quite a few more.

Thankfully yesterday was a day of rest for us here. Had troubles with my blood sugar and spent most of the day in bed.

Probably won't be doing much today either.

Hope all are well and having a wonderful Holiday weekend.

12. PainPainGoAway

I appreciate that-- such a delicate subject and she was so brave to reach out. I love her posts and hope she is okay!

Germany-- wow, six years...my mom is actually German (my dad met her in Bitburg where he was stationed in 1966). We were at a tiny base but visited every base in Germany, so I remember Stuttgart, (army, right?)-- I think it had a Burger King! It's a beautiful country, and if I recall, you're near the Black forest...we were in the planes.

Sorry to hear about your blood sugar. I've been in bed a lot this week and most of the afternoon.

If you can only see one post when you reply, how does everyone recall all the other posts to give a personal greeting? It's amazing how you keep in touch here and on the porch!
  13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

To remember the other posts, hit the shift key while you're hitting the reply key and it will give you another page. That way we can check the posts since I seriously doubt that any of us would remember them without this nifty trick.

Stuttgart's grown since you've been here, we now even have the largest PX in Europe too.

14. greygodess

greygodess New Member

Hope all of you had a good Christmas.

Ours was good. We went to our son's on Christmas eve with the rest of the kids and inlaws. Then we went to the kids service at church and went back later to the 10pm service. My husband was ushering that one. It was nice. Christmas day we got back together and had a nice day. Glad it is over.

Today I am just vegging. I was going to go to the gym and then get my hair cut but we had some ice on the roads so I am staying in. I plan to watch a movie and then take a long anticipated nap. Haven't had one in a few days. I'm overdue.

Our computer is in an upstairs room and we have a tree outside the window. While i'm typing this I am getting distracted by the birds. There is a goldfinch, bluejay and a downy woodpecker out there.

I don't have to do the nature center for a couple of weeks because the holidays fall on my day to volunteer. We still have deer there but we lost a young one. Don't know why. Just found it dead one day. Also no bowling for the next week. The way I bowl it doesn't matter. I am really lousy this year. I think the pain in my knees, back and elbows doesn't help the bowling.

Have plans to go to lunch on monday with my sister in law and maybe take a couple of the grandkids bowling and go to church but nothing else for the next week and a half.

I hope all of you have a very happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

15. PainPainGoAway

I attempted to hit the shift key while hitting reply (I hit reply w/ my mouse) and it didn't work. My meds may be kicking in so I will try it tomorrow.

Has Grammy27 checked in with anybody? I hope she is okay!

Nancy-- I wonder if I'm remembering correctly that your base even had a triple story px even in the mid 80's. We moved from the largest base in England to a tiny one in Germany and what a shock that was. We didn't even have a Bx or Px, just a small Naafi (British). It was a cute base though! I had to go to the orthodontist/dentist in Belgium, the orthopedist in Ramstein (for scoliosis, I had a brace).
    Do you speak any German? I used to tutor Germans who were learning English--that was good money! I was not fluent myself, but knew it from my mother and was a good student in school.

When I figure this out I will say hi to everyone else...I can't remember any names!

My to do list is trying to get my house in order-- had a lot of work done to it after major water and mold damage. It's been a nightmare.
    I'm also approved to get a scooter and have to force myself to research that.
    All these years I've been coming to this board, and finally I find myself checking the chitchat board more often.
    I'm living in Ohio, have three kids (17, 12, and 10), divorced, and disabled.
    Take Care,
  16. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hi all,

No real particular reason I haven't been checking in much, just feeling poorly in general lately.

Grey, your computer area sounds just lovely. How I wish I had a peaceful place here to just look out the window. You've just reminded me that for years now I've had my own craft room with a view and how much I treasured 'my' space.

Cindy, not sure about an old PX here, ours was tiny for years since I've been here. And if I haven't done so already, welcome to our thread, and I'm glad you're checking out the CC board, we have a great time over here. We just avoid most medical talk....

We got a few of our (few) decorations put away today. This has been the most odd holiday season for me, and I'm ready for it to be over.

I'm considering calling for a doc appt again, as I'm still not convinced that something else isn't wrong with me. The weight loss continues and as always, I'm continually surprised at the numbers so much so that I don't think this is normal. There's a disease that seems to fit me.....can I have a Dec without a new one? So I think it's something I should talk over with him, if he's in a helpful mood.

Hope we all feel better and get a chance to check in, I miss you all....we're so used to knowing what goes on with each other.

17. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Girls:

Well, I am off work now and am over at the library. I got here right after they opened so I could get a computer. I decided I better let all of you know I haven't fallen off the earth! I don't go back to work until January 8th! The president of the college gave us time off until January 5th, but I decided to use three vacation days. Harry and I are going to an indoor water park the week of January 5th. There's one not too far from our house. It was built a couple of years ago and we haven't checked it out yet. All that warm water will feel so good to my sore muscles.

Speaking of which, I woke up yesterday with a very sore right shoulder and shoulder blade and it is still hurting. I've been using a heating pad and ice packs, but nothing seems to help. I didn't really sleep too well last night. Even turning my head bothers it. I haven't done anything to bring this on that I can think of. I guess it will have to run its course.

We had a good Christmas. I picked up Jim early and we went to church together. Then back to my house, and Harry, Jim and I opened up our presents together. Then we went to Harry's parents' house for dinner and more presents. So we had a nice day.

Jim and I are getting together tomorrow to do some shopping. He needs some pants (he's gained some weight), a new belt and underwear. Plus, I want to spend some Christmas money and run a few errands.

Grammy: I was just shocked when I read your post! I am so sorry that your husband is violent and uses that violence against you! I noticed that you haven't come back on the board since that post and I hope everything is okay. We have Cindy to thank for posting the number of the National Domestic Violence hotline. Please call them and get some help. I'm sorry that the people you called weren't more help. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Nancy: I'm glad that things with Samson are going well. It's fun buying new clothes especially since you have lost weight. I love sweaters, too. I guess that's one nice thing about cold weather. How is Katy doing? Jim got through Christmas okay, but not without a few minor problems. But I guess that's to be expected.

Molly: I'm so sorry your family has the flu. No time is a good time to be sick, but especially during the holidays.

Linda and Terri: Sounds like both of you have been busy with holiday baking. I get together with a friend of mine every year and we make cookies together.

Anne Theresa: I'm sorry you've had more problems with your breathing. I'm sure it would help you if you could lose some weight. Do you by any chance have migraines or restless legs syndrome? I take Topamax for my restless legs syndrome, but it's also prescribed for migraines. One of the side effects is loss of appetite. There's no guarantee you would have this side effect, but it's worth talking to your doctor. Just a thought. And maybe I have mentioned this to you before. I can't remember.

I hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

I need to check my e-mail now and there's a time limit on these computers. I'll try to get back here again before I get back to work. Take care everyone and Happy New Year!

18. momof27

momof27 New Member